Why become a member? ×

60th Anniversary Fender P Bass

Guest gazzatriumph

Guest gazzatriumph

HI, I bought a MIM Fender P Bass a few months ago, the neck plate has the 60th Anniversary stamp on it, a chap who works in a music shop said this would increase the value of the guitar, anyone have any comments please, oh it plays great by the way. Cheers.

I used to own a USA 60th anniversary P-bass. Nice bass, I sold it on through this site as part of my major kit cull. The reality is there are so many reasons for why every (Fender) bass could be limited edition that it hardly impacts on price. Fender have so many little tweaks here & there it makes little difference. Sounds like you have a nice bass so I'd enjoy it for what it is but don't expect the resale value to rocket

Every P bass (American I believe) was given the plate in 2011. Its a nice addition, but won't make any difference.

If its a nicely made and resonant bass, THEN it may hold a its value quite well.

P basses are always fairly good at 'holding' value, but unless you put it away for 40 years, it won't ever raise in value IMO.

Enjoy it. The 2008 onwards P basses are the best they have made for some time!

Just to echo what most people are saying here, special limited 'Anniversary' editions and models could possibly go up in value, but standard stuff that just happened to be released in an anniversary year won't. The neck plate is a nice touch, but claiming it will increase in value is just salesman BS I'm afraid. Good basses though.

Guest gazzatriumph

Thanks again for your comments I had already bought the bass from a different source to the chap in the shop, Im not looking to sell it as I'm very happy with it but was curious to see if what the chap said was correct, this site has alot of knowledge on hand as well as piss takers but to the sensible ones thanks.

[quote name='gazzatriumph' timestamp='1322828889' post='1456335']
Thanks again for your comments I had already bought the bass from a different source to the chap in the shop, Im not looking to sell it as I'm very happy with it but was curious to see if what the chap said was correct, this site has alot of knowledge on hand as well as piss takers but to the sensible ones thanks.
[/quote]

If you don't like pisstakers you're on the wrong forum :)

Some of the worst offenders are also the most technically knowledgeable and helpful.

Welcome, anyway!

• 1 year later...
  • 5 years later...

I have seen a “made in Mexico” 2011 anniversary P bass.

it has the anniversary neck plate logo.

it also has a rosewood fretboard.

most other P bass from Mexico I have seen are Ash body and solid maple neck.

is the one with the rosewood fretboard a better value guitar?

ta, cheers Louis 

On 12/07/2019 at 20:18, Louis Louis said:

I have seen a “made in Mexico” 2011 anniversary P bass.

it has the anniversary neck plate logo.

it also has a rosewood fretboard.

most other P bass from Mexico I have seen are Ash body and solid maple neck.

is the one with the rosewood fretboard a better value guitar?

ta, cheers Louis 

Hey Louis,

Made in Mexico Fenders aren’t worth anything as an investment because so many of them are mass produced each year. Rosewood fretboards might in time be worth more because of the limited availability caused by CITES and sustainability projects.

its quite difficult to know what guitars could be a good investment, but the higher end stuff tends to fair worst for keeping value compared to cheaper guitars.