Why become a member? ×

daisy-chaining cabs - the effect on impedance?

Johnny Wishbone

Guys, I'd appreciate your help with this one if you'd be so kind as to indulge me:

I use a 1x15 cab and a 4x10 cab (both 8 ohms) and until now have always run one speaker output from my GK 700RB-II to each cabinet, giving a total load of 4 ohms (as I understand it, anyway).

If I were to daisychain the cabs rather than running each from a separate output, would this still produce the same load overall, or is it different? My mate thinks daisychaining the cabs this way will produce a total load of 16 ohms. The amp only has power ratings for 4 & 8 ohms, so I don't want to risk damaging it with too high a load.

I ask as I've just replaced my sh*tty old speaker cables with brand new ones (courtesy of OBBM of course) and they're too short to reach the bottom cab in the stack. It will reach from cab to cab though, so I could daisychain them with these cables.

I should point out that this is enirely my own fault - I assumed my old leads were 1 metre in length so ordered two new ones on that basis. It turns out they were actually 1.5 metres (I know, I know, I should have measured!).

Basically, should I put this down to experience and order a longer lead, or am I OK daisychaining?