Why become a member? ×

Pickguard for Squier P bass Special

BassApprentice

Hi all

I was thinking about putting a new pickguard on my bass but there is one thing I am unsure about, since it has 2 volume controls and 1 tone there are 3 controls compared to the standard 2 and the other hole being in the input jack.

Would I just be able to buy a standard MIM pickguard and just put the pot through the hole where the input jack would be or should I get one custom made?

Thanks in Advance

M

Edited by BassApprentice

I tried getting a pickguard for a Squier P Bass Special. Not only were the screw holes out, the neck pocket was the wrong size and the distance between the neck and the pickups was different.

I tried a few different brands but nothing came close to fitting so be warned.

[quote name='Alfie' timestamp='1322595953' post='1453368']
I tried getting a pickguard for a Squier P Bass Special. Not only were the screw holes out, the neck pocket was the wrong size and the distance between the neck and the pickups was different.

I tried a few different brands but nothing came close to fitting so be warned.
[/quote]

Thanks very much for your help guys!

Just to check the model you have has the P and J pickups? [url="http://www.musicroom.com/se/ID_No/01022722/details.html?kbid=1582"]http://www.musicroom.com/se/ID_No/01022722/details.html?kbid=1582[/url]

Cheers

Yeah, that's the model. You may be lucky, these instruments have been made in a variety of factories across the far east and often differ in little details.

You would probably save yourself a lot of time effort and money in the long run by sending a template to a custom pickguard manufacturer.