Why become a member? ×

(Un-heavy) rack mount amps

lollington

Evenin' bass cha'ers

I'm currently using a LH500 mounted in a 4U flight case. I use this in conjunction with a rack tuner, compressor and power conditioner.

The cabs I currently use are Markbass traveller 210 and 115. The flight case is too heavy for my little admin arms to handle. I'm also considering selling both Markbass cabs and exchanging for a Barefaced Super Twelve in the near future. I'm utterly lazy and can't be bothered with multiple trips to the car.

I rather like having the flight case with the quality separate modules and flashy lights, but would be keen to switch the LH500 to a lighter amp with similar output.

Help please - could anyone give me an idea of lightweight (class D?) amps that can be rack mounted? I used to own a Yamaha BBT500 which was alright, but ran full juice at 2ohm (and was rather noisy) I would prefer something at 4ohm. I'm window shopping at the moment, but don't know where to start. Any help/pointers would be appreciated.

Cheers then!

[quote name='Adrenochrome' timestamp='1322558351' post='1452440']
How heavy are the power conditioner, tuner and compressor?
[/quote]

Yes, the more I think about it the more I'm inclined to sell the rack mounted equipment and buy a lighter, smaller amp. I'm not sure why I bought light cabs and a heavy amp... bit daft really. Hopefully shouldn't have too much trouble selling the stuff, the LH500s don't seem to last long here.

I'd agree with the above, I have a second hand F1 that is use as a spare/ back up head. It's great because I can chuck it in my gig bag, but it's powerful enough to look after itself when used in my big rig! It does indeed come with rack ears and I think the 2nd hand prices make it very attractive even to use as just a power amplifier! So very light!