Why become a member? ×

How good are High End Basses?

chilievans

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1322594486' post='1453350']
As Lance Armstrong said, 'Its not about the bike' (the statement carrying its weight as he was given the best the world could produce).

My point was that for hobbyists it often is.
[/quote]

Often pros have less money to spend. :)

[color=#2A2A2A][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=3]
[size=5][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Another view to sling on the pile... points about how well you play independent of bass value duly noted.[/font][/size][/size][/font][/color][color=#2A2A2A][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=3]
Written from experience of buying new and used in each price range except last. My view of playability which is correctly intonated, low action and low to medium tension. (I know strings affect this a great deal.) Excludes vagaries of fashion (Wal anyone?), unfortunate exchange rates (how much for that Ibanez!?), E-bay chancers with yet another Rick, etc.[/size][/font][/color][color=#2A2A2A][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=3]
Up to £100 – Rudimentary instrument/toy/wreck (sorry ‘project’), pure luck, occasional bargain, difficult to tune, stay in tune, play in tune[/size][/font][/color][color=#2A2A2A][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=3]
[size="3"]£100 to £250 – Basic entry level instrument, things have improved in this band over the years but still highly inconsistent, perhaps one usuable tone if you’re lucky, could have decent playability but may still have serious production flaws limiting a good set-up. Should intonate up to the 12th fret at least.[/size][/size][/font][/color][color=#2A2A2A][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=3]
[size="3"]£250 to £500 – Student/amateur level. Gains in playability and tone, finish and woods improving too. Can find the odd great instrument in this band. And complete dogs too.[/size][/size][/font][/color][color=#2A2A2A][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=3]
[size="3"]£500 to £1,000 – Should have a good range of usable tones, good playability. Semi-professional grade. Should be highly adjustable to most playing styles. Good standard of fit and finish. consistency (still check – some Fenders in this range come with almost unusable set-ups out of the box, badly cut nut slots, etc)[/size][/size][/font][/color][color=#2A2A2A][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=3]
[size="3"]£1,000 to £2,000 – Professional. Gains in tone, range and exotic finishes/woods, etc. Playability no longer an issue for most people & situations. In tune and intonated all over the neck. Studio quality tone and signal. High standard of fit and finish.[/size][/size][/font][/color][color=#2A2A2A][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=3]
[size="3"]£2,000 - £5,000 – UK/EU custom band or top of the range US factory-mades – whatever you want to a very high standard – either yours or someone else’s name on it[/size][/size][/font][/color][color=#2A2A2A][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=3]
[size="3"]£5,000 plus – US custom/hand-made band/fashion market quirks/collectables – fit, finish, tone and playability improvements purely subjective. Note some quirky designs and vintage instruments in this bracket can be back in the lower bands in terms of finish, playability and signal quality but hopefully they’ll make up for it with some sort of mojo.(Note: Opinion only – no experience of buying or playing instruments from this range!...)[/size][/size][/font][/color]

[quote name='visog' timestamp='1323112662' post='1459493']

[color=#2A2A2A][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=3][size=5][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Another view to sling on the pile... points about how well you play independent of bass value duly noted.[/font][/size][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#2A2A2A][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=3]Written from experience of buying new and used in each price range except last. My view of playability which is correctly intonated, low action and low to medium tension. (I know strings affect this a great deal.) Excludes vagaries of fashion (Wal anyone?), unfortunate exchange rates (how much for that Ibanez!?), E-bay chancers with yet another Rick, etc.[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#2A2A2A][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=3]Up to £100 – Rudimentary instrument/toy/wreck (sorry ‘project’), pure luck, occasional bargain, difficult to tune, stay in tune, play in tune[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#2A2A2A][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=3]£100 to £250 – Basic entry level instrument, things have improved in this band over the years but still highly inconsistent, perhaps one usuable tone if you’re lucky, could have decent playability but may still have serious production flaws limiting a good set-up. Should intonate up to the 12th fret at least.[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#2A2A2A][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=3]£250 to £500 – Student/amateur level. Gains in playability and tone, finish and woods improving too. Can find the odd great instrument in this band. And complete dogs too.[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#2A2A2A][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=3]£500 to £1,000 – Should have a good range of usable tones, good playability. Semi-professional grade. Should be highly adjustable to most playing styles. Good standard of fit and finish. consistency (still check – some Fenders in this range come with almost unusable set-ups out of the box, badly cut nut slots, etc)[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#2A2A2A][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=3]£1,000 to £2,000 – Professional. Gains in tone, range and exotic finishes/woods, etc. Playability no longer an issue for most people & situations. In tune and intonated all over the neck. Studio quality tone and signal. High standard of fit and finish.[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#2A2A2A][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=3]£2,000 - £5,000 – UK/EU custom band or top of the range US factory-mades – whatever you want to a very high standard – either yours or someone else’s name on it[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#2A2A2A][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=3]£5,000 plus – US custom/hand-made band/fashion market quirks/collectables – fit, finish, tone and playability improvements purely subjective. Note some quirky designs and vintage instruments in this bracket can be back in the lower bands in terms of finish, playability and signal quality but hopefully they’ll make up for it with some sort of mojo.(Note: Opinion only – no experience of buying or playing instruments from this range!...)[/size][/font][/color]
[/quote]

Don't agree, especially with the lower end comments and 'one usable tone if you're lucky'. What? Sounds well out of date to me, given the improvements Far Eastern standards of the last few years.

[color=#2a2a2a][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=3][size=5][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Another view to sling on the pile... points about how well you play independent of bass value duly noted.[/font][/size][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#2a2a2a][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=3]Written from experience of buying new and used in each price range except last. My view of playability which is correctly intonated, low action and low to medium tension. (I know strings affect this a great deal.) Excludes vagaries of fashion (Wal anyone?), unfortunate exchange rates (how much for that Ibanez!?), E-bay chancers with yet another Rick, etc.[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#2a2a2a][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=3]Up to £100 – Rudimentary instrument/toy/wreck (sorry ‘project’), pure luck, occasional bargain, difficult to tune, stay in tune, play in tune[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#2a2a2a][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=3][size=3]£100 to £250 – Basic entry level instrument, things have improved in this band over the years but still highly inconsistent, perhaps one usuable tone if you’re lucky, could have decent playability but may still have serious production flaws limiting a good set-up. Should intonate up to the 12th fret at least.[/size][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#2a2a2a][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=3][size=3]£250 to £500 – Student/amateur level. Gains in playability and tone, finish and woods improving too. Can find the odd great instrument in this band. And complete dogs too.[/size][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#2a2a2a][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=3][size=3]£500 to £1,000 – Should have a good range of usable tones, good playability. Semi-professional grade. Should be highly adjustable to most playing styles. Good standard of fit and finish. consistency (still check – some Fenders in this range come with almost unusable set-ups out of the box, badly cut nut slots, etc)[/size][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#2a2a2a][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=3][size=3]£1,000 to £2,000 – Professional. Gains in tone, range and exotic finishes/woods, etc. Playability no longer an issue for most people & situations. In tune and intonated all over the neck. Studio quality tone and signal. High standard of fit and finish.[/size][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#2a2a2a][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=3][size=3]£2,000 - £5,000 – UK/EU custom band or top of the range US factory-mades – whatever you want to a very high standard – either yours or someone else’s name on it[/size][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#2a2a2a][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=3][size=3]£5,000 plus – US custom/hand-made band/fashion market quirks/collectables – fit, finish, tone and playability improvements purely subjective. Note some quirky designs and vintage instruments in this bracket can be back in the lower bands in terms of finish, playability and signal quality but hopefully they’ll make up for it with some sort of mojo.(Note: Opinion only – no experience of buying or playing instruments from this range!...)[/size][/size][/font][/color]
[/quote]

Whereas I DO agree..mostly.

We all accept the odd one may slip freakishly through the net, top and bottom..but there you go...
you pays your money..

Welcome noob.. nice splash..!! :) :) :)

This thread reminded me of a story I read about John McVie. It may or may not be true.

McVie asked Lakland for a Precision bass (the old Bob Glaub signature). They didn't have a US model ready so sent him a Skyline version saying that they'd get the US model to him as quickly as possible. A few days after McVie received the Skyline he phoned Lakland to say not to bother with the US model because the Skyline was fine.

[color=#2A2A2A][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=3][size=5][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Another view to sling on the pile... points about how well you play independent of bass value duly noted.[/font][/size][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#2A2A2A][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=3][size=3]...£500 to £1,000 – Should have a good range of usable tones, good playability. Semi-professional grade. Should be highly adjustable to most playing styles. Good standard of fit and finish. consistency (still check – some Fenders in this range come with almost unusable set-ups out of the box, badly cut nut slots, etc)[/size][/size][/font][/color]
[/quote]

Isn't this where standard US Fenders are? They are still the mainstay of professionals, are they bargains then? Probably not. In this band I would definitely want a 'professional' standard instrument. The range of good tones might also be a red-herring as some instruments are bought for just that tone (eg Precision and even Ricky from the next band).
Also some are just plain expensive due to their name (ricky again!)

I suppose its impossible to satisfy all with such a list, good effort though!

you know i never thought i would say this, but i had blinkers on i always purchased rickenbackers and at £1700 a pop not cheap, i then questioned myself for the first time are these basses worth this amount of money, as the bass i recently purchased 4003 was not satisfying me in the sound dept!!! so i started looking at the fender jazz basses, i was amazed at how good they felt, played and sounded compared to the rickenbacker. i have sold the ric, purchased a 70s fender jazz installed a badas II bridge. what a sound honestly it just blows the rick away, might not be as pretty but if it is pure sound you want the fender wins, and i could almost buy three of those basses for one rickenbacker. i am glad i took the path i did. the most important thing is this bass i have feels right and sounds right thats all that really matters.

Not cheap, no, but cool as anything!

I've never been brave enough to spend that much - £1300 on a preEB MM was the nearest by a long chalk. Now there's a tone unbeaten by any guitar I've played.

There is definitely something about Ricks though, thought that since I was a teenager even though none of my heroes use one. Always amazes me the design is from the fifties.

Ok, hijack over.

[color=#2A2A2A][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=3][size=5][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]....snip[/font][/size][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#2A2A2A][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=3][size=3]£1,000 to £2,000 – Professional. Gains in tone, range and exotic finishes/woods, etc. Playability no longer an issue for most people & situations. In tune and intonated all over the neck. Studio quality tone and signal. High standard of fit and finish.[/size][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#2A2A2A][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=3][size=3]£2,000 - £5,000 – UK/EU custom band or top of the range US factory-mades – whatever you want to a very high standard – either yours or someone else’s name on it[/size][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#2A2A2A][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=3][size=3]£5,000 plus – US custom/hand-made band/fashion market quirks/collectables – fit, finish, tone and playability improvements purely subjective. Note some quirky designs and vintage instruments in this bracket can be back in the lower bands in terms of finish, playability and signal quality but hopefully they’ll make up for it with some sort of mojo.(Note: Opinion only – no experience of buying or playing instruments from this range!...)[/size][/size][/font][/color]
[/quote]

A reasonable generalisation until I thought a bit harder.
Both my Status Streamline (with factory mods and re-wound pick-ups) and Vigier Passion S3 V were under £1500 new. They're both handmade in "Europe" to phenomenal standards (and both with excellent QC and customer service) They both incorporate a few strange quirks (quasi-parametric EQ. Lack of truss-rod. Headlessness. Carbon Monocoque construction)
Whilst both very different, there are no basses I've played that are actually better, just different again.

There are a few consistent exceptions out there, and let's not forget how depreciation as a bass enters the S/H market skews the value equation further in favour of the new owner...

For example,I bought an Ibanez EDB600 for £80. It was absolutely superb, capable of bettering most basses at or around £500 new.

• 3 weeks later...

I have an alembic bass and have no desire to have anything else. For me I like the tone, playability, sound quality and the enjoyment I get from playing it.. I can't say whether they are better than any other high end or other regular basses as I have not played many other basses and have not owned any and played them long enough to compare. I get any sound from it that I desire and need and that is what a bass is for. Whenever I gig I get more compliments regarding the sound of my bass than my playing of it.
So for what I need in a bass this alembic does it for me. Who knows I could get a decent sound from a far cheaper bass but I doubt that I would get the variety of tonal possibilities from another bass. That said I woulh like an alembic series bass but thats financially out of my scope so instead i decided to change the electronics in my bass to some acg/east filter circuits which gave me a high and low pass filter for each pickup and that sounds phenomenal whilst still having an alembic tone. So I guess if bought another bass that had a great feel and playing experience I could get a high end sound using act/east setup which would be far cheaper..

Jazzyvee

[size=4]my 2 cts: it depends...[/size]
[size=4]used, there is a lot of gear that really is high end, set up well and sounds and plays great available for a lot under [color=#2A2A2A][font=Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,sans-serif]£[/font][/color]1000[color=#2A2A2A][font=Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,sans-serif].[/font][/color][/size]
[size=4][color=#2A2A2A][font=Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,sans-serif]I play bass professionally (that means that usually I get paid for gigs) and my most expensive instrument is the seibass I just bought used for a bit over £1000[/font][/color][/size]. this got all I have ever expected from a 5-string.
my 4-strings have been [b]a lot[/b] cheaper, the most rare and expensive one was 1000€ but it is my main player in my band and I probably will never find a better only a more expensive one.

it is more about what you do with what you have.
playability is the 1st secret, tone the 2nd.
on every cheap bass both can be achieved with a small investment.

but without a vision even the most expensive instrument won't take you anywhere.

Edited by the_krysh

I have to say that my Squire VM Jazz is ok, but I saw an American jazz in a store recently and it visually just blew mine out of the water. Beautiful grain.

I recently bought a Squire P/J bass s/h. Oh dear. I may have problems with the neck. risen frets at the dusty end. Suddenly my Jazz feels like a more quality bass!

You certainly can get lucky with a cheap bass. I didn't .
So I won't ever buy a cheap bass without trying first. In fact, I will never buy a cheap bass again. I have been playing for over 30 years and know I deser e much better than what I have been allowing myself to put up with.
I have a Wal. Sublime. As for a bit of variation, an American Fender precision, or maybe a Warwick
. Oh, to make things more difficult for myself, before I was born I decided to be left-handed. tch!

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1322337012' post='1449666']
I try and avoid these discussions as one mans high end is another mans mid range, all relative and unless someone forces you to buy them a bass I don't see as its anyone else's business. I have my eye on a few basses around the 2k mark is that high end? I don't know.
[/quote]

Sounds good to me. It really doesn't matter to me how much they cost, it's how they play in my hands. I went in a shop once and played four basses of the same type that all played differently. I picked the one I liked best!

[quote name='ellie' timestamp='1324911076' post='1478402']
I went in a shop once and played four basses of the same type that all played differently. I picked the one I liked best!
[/quote]
A few minutes with a set of allen keys might get them playing the same though. A tiny variation in the relief on the neck can make a massive difference to how a bass feels.

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' timestamp='1324911639' post='1478411']
A few minutes with a set of allen keys might get them playing the same though. A tiny variation in the relief on the neck can make a massive difference to how a bass feels.
[/quote]
Hi
Very true. but there are other things as well,.fit and finish, etc. I still had to reset that bass to the way I like them.

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1324911961' post='1478416']
Have just spent 2 hours playing obscure 70's funk and disco on this Ritter Cora:

Some of these riffs I know really well but have never managed to get my fingers round them in the same way I can on the Cora.

Makes it worth every penny to me :)
[/quote]
I know what you mean - I can get my fingers around some things on my Fender CIJ mustang that aren't so easy on any other bass. The £70 I paid for a fret level at the Gallery was worth every penny.