Why become a member? ×

Looking for some advice on a rack mounted head

Tom Mov Lee

Hey guys.
I play in a band called Mask Of Virtue and we pretty much play alt metal with electronics and sequencing.
At the moment all I use is a bass driver DI box and borrow an amp at gigs if I need to, if not I just play straight through the P.A. I'm looking for a rack mounted head at the minute and the only suggestions I get is an ampeg SVT and to be honest they are a little bit too expensive. I'm looking for something in the £200-£400 region and I don't mind second hand gear.
I love the punchy "clangy" tone that I'm getting from my pedal (presence and blend are always maxed) and I normally gig with my LTD B-5E which works perfectly. I just wondered if anyone could help me out with a cheap alternative to an SVT that will kick out the same sort of power and tone that I get from my pedal (Obviously I will be using the pedal with the amp, I guess i need something that will work great with the pedal)
I have been playing for like 5 or 6 years now and I have only ever owned one laney combo, which I still have, but it's on its last legs and I don't like it anymore haha. So my point is I literally know nothing about amps and heads.
Any help is appriciated. Cheers!
Tom

http://www.facebook.com/themaskofvirtue

[quote name='Ed_S' timestamp='1322315187' post='1449266']
Why not just get a rack power amp? It'd let you use your BDDI as a pre-amp and give you exactly the tone you already know you like.
[/quote]

+1

or gk? there heads are nice! and i think there in your budget! the markbass lm2's are awesome aswell! dnt be put by the fact that they are normally used clean they sound awesome with a muff !

andy

Theres a Gallien Krueger MB Fusion - 500 watts at 4 ohms - for sale on here at present, at £430. Would fit in a rack - it`s very small indeed, and has 3 pre-amp tubes. Check out Duff McKagans tone for GK sound.

I do think ED S has hit it though, power amp your pedal in a rack. Probably be a cheaper alternative, and get the exact tone you already like.

A power amp is a good way to go.
One caveat, though. Try (together) before you buy to ensure that the amp's input sensitivity is high enough for the SansAmp to drive it properly.
It's an issue that I encountered with a Hartke VXL and QSC PLX1202 (connected by XLR) It might not even occur via the jack connections... Worth checking.
If it's overdriving the power amp's input, you can always turn down a bit. If the signal's too weak (from the pedal), cranking the power amp might help, but could leave you vulnerable to noise.