Why become a member? ×

STAGG EUB BROKEN TUNER

craigonbass

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1322316133' post='1449293']
Aren't they just bog standard PB type machine heads?
[/quote]

Alright me duck :)
Not quit. They have straight posts and holes on the side (ala guitar posts) instead of slots and centre holes. They do look the same other wise but I would double check that any replacements are the same height because they face each other.
(Hope that makes sense without pics!)

A

Edited by apa

[quote name='craigonbass' timestamp='1322304786' post='1449047']
Hi all,

I've knocked over my Stagg EUB and broken one of the tuners completely in half! any ideas where I can get a replacement?

Many thanks

Craig
[/quote]

Just a quick idea: When you say you have 'broken one completely in half' do you mean the winder? If so you could buy a new set and just replace all the winders if they are the same size and thread. Then you keep the string winding bit and know they will fit. Just an option :)

A

[quote name='apa' timestamp='1322320013' post='1449353']
Alright me duck :)
Not quit. They have straight posts and holes on the side (ala guitar posts) instead of slots and centre holes. They do look the same other wise but I would double check that any replacements are the same height because they face each other.
(Hope that makes sense without pics!)
[/quote]

Yep that makes sense duck :)
I was only going by a photo of one, I don't have one to compare it against.

If it's just the 'clover leaf' bit that's busted, is the rest of the machine head dismantleable enough to just replace that part - I bet the gearing is the same even if the string end is slightly different..?

OIC! Ouch! :)

I think your best bet is as I and icastle say, Get yourself another set of standard bass machine heads and replace just the broken bit. These things are mass produced and I doubt that Stagg used something special. The winder style and more importantly the cogg is exactly the same on my Ryders, Hohner and Fender as on my Stagg so Its an 80% chance you'll hit lucky with another standard set. Couldnt be easier to replace. Just take it off the head and unscrew the big central screw on the cogg. To be even more certain try and buy a set that has the same style where the 'ear' is attached to the shaft.

A

BTW count yourself luck. I have heard tell that the whole heads can snap if dropped :)

Actually I just took a wilkinson machine head apart and compared the bits on my Stagg. They are idential apart from the string post profile. You will have to keep the original post because the wilkinsons are too high, as I said in my orig post. Drop me a PM if you would like them at a reasonable price :)

Edited by apa

Here's a photo of a tuner I've found in my spares box. [attachment=94014:m head.jpg] It's not normally possible to buy a single of this type but I reckon I've bought a set in the past and gradually sold off 3 to 'unfortunates' like Craig. Let me know if it's just the key/winder or the whole tuner that's needed - it will still be necessary to disassemble the broken one to use the post that's specific to the Stagg

[attachment=94022:m head.jpg]

BTW I realise the one I have shown is 'opposite hand' to the broken one but they are interchangeable at the same point of re-assembly that's going to be necessary.

Edited by The Bass Doc

I used to have a Stagg and it had problem with the one of the strings from new. When I contacted the shop I got it from there was a misunderstanding and they actually sent me a replacement machine head by mistake. I subsequently gave it to someone on here who had a similar problem to you, but as far as I recall the shop got it from the importer.

You could also contact Stagg direct at Staggmusic.com - they do spare parts.

[quote name='craigonbass' timestamp='1322431974' post='1450890']
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=4]Many thanks to all for your replies.[/size][/font]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=4]Doc, that looks to me to be ok. Would you like me to pm you with my details? [/size][/font]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=4]Craig :) [/size][/font]
[/quote]

Yup.