Why become a member? ×

So.. what was Geddy Lee's last great bassline...?

wateroftyne

First of all, I love Rush, and like a sheep I'll always buy everything they release.

But.. I'm struggling to think of what Geddy's last [i]great[/i] bass part was.

Y'know the sort... Marathon. Turn the Page. Digital Man. Freewill. By-Tor. Distant Early Warning... before everything got buried under chords and flamencoesque clattering.

I think it's Alien Shore off Counterparts:

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-E0RrVXy9Uw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-E0RrVXy9Uw[/url]

Prove me wrong, people! What great lines have I overlooked from Test For Echo, Vapour Trails and Snakes and Arrows?

Well fancy that another mega Rush/Geddy anorak here and i was pondering that very question just the other week,and i also thought Alien Shore was his last ripping Bass line along with possibly Leave That Thing Alone.

His change in style has definately toned him down a bit and is perhaps not as adventurous as he used to be.

Sadly gone are the days when you put one of their new albums on and sit listening to his Bass leading from the front with jaw on the floor.
Still buy everthing they do though...Geddy still walks on water! :)

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1322149654' post='1447268']
There's just no [i]melody [/i]in the lines anymore.

Come on, Geddy... sort it out!
[/quote]
Or harmony. Their songwriting is very poor these days. I don't like his vocal melodies, the awful mixing and mastering. There's no sweetness to their songs anymore, no energy, no beauty. They seem to have so little to say.

I got the latest Time Machine live CD last week, I can't listen to it. Even my old favourites sound so tired. You have no idea how much it hurts me to say all this. I've grown up adoring them.

Must admit, I never really understood why Geddy is so highly rated.

As a fan, the OP can't remember the last great bass line he put out.

As a non-fan, I can't remember hearing a Rush track and thinking 'Wow, that is some great bass playing and/or songwriting'...

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1322150727' post='1447280']
Must admit, I never really understood why Geddy is so highly rated.

As a fan, the OP can't remember the last great bass line he put out.

As a non-fan, I can't remember hearing a Rush track and thinking 'Wow, that is some great bass playing and/or songwriting'...
[/quote]

He's highly rated because he can play fast and sing at the same time while navigating some difficult arrangements. Rush are innovators and in a class of their own, they used to write some incredible music. However, what Geddy plays, while being fast is actually not very complex or difficult, it just takes good technique, stamina and a good ear. It's not compositionally amazing bass or anything, a lot of it is boxes and patterns.

Ignore my previous post. Just trying to spice things up as per the boredom thread.

No Rush fan myself, although I did see them live about 20 years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it.

I have a theory that a lot of famous bands/artists have too many people around them telling them everything they do is great and they start believing it. A lack of criticism and self regulating crap filter ends up with poor output.

[quote name='Low End Bee' timestamp='1322151308' post='1447289']

I have a theory that a lot of famous bands/artists have too many people around them telling them everything they do is great and they start believing it. A lack of criticism and self regulating crap filter ends up with poor output.
[/quote]

That could well be the problem in this case, IMO.

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1322150436' post='1447276']
Or harmony. Their songwriting is very poor these days. I don't like his vocal melodies, the awful mixing and mastering. There's no sweetness to their songs anymore, no energy, no beauty. They seem to have so little to say.[/quote]

Yep - Geddy's vocal phrasing is slapdash... and they don't write songs any more. They assemble licks in ProTools.

[quote name='Low End Bee' timestamp='1322151308' post='1447289']
[/quote]

And that's the potted history of Fame. People begin to believe their PR.

Edited by Paul S

I love Rush, and Geddy too!

I still love his bass work - 'Snakes & Arrows' has got some great songs, and brilliant bass work.

I'd vote for 'Far Cry', 'The Way The Wind Blows' or 'Faithless' as parts I enjoy off the top of my head.

Yes, his playing and tone has changed, as have the band. But imagine how boring it would be if they still dressed flowing robes and sounded like they did in 1977?

[quote name='spongebob' timestamp='1322155728' post='1447376']
Yes, his playing and tone has changed, as have the band. But imagine how boring it would be if they still dressed flowing robes and sounded like they did in 1977?
[/quote]
But imagine how great it would be if the songs from the last three albums had bass parts that didn't sound like phoned-in afterthoughts..!

:)

[quote name='spongebob' timestamp='1322156244' post='1447385']
I may be in the minority here - but 'S&A' is in my top 5 Rush LPs, maybe even top 3! :)
[/quote]

I love "Snakes & Arrows" too. My only criticism of it would be that it's too long, but I find that with 99.9% of albums these days.

I've never been a big fan of "Moving Pictures" - I think "Signals" is far superior (even allowing for that f***ing awful song about the Space Shuttle at the end).

I know its trendy to slag them off regarding their post Moving Pictures output but I genuinely shifted away from them after that and I've struggled to get back since - and I've tried. Its actually more Alex Lifeson (and the material / direction) than Geddy I think. I got a bit of a good vibe from S&A but it didn't last long.

none of their later material has really grabbed me since moving pictures and signals - too formulaic and lacking in the charisma department - i dont dislike their material and im not against their change of style per se i just think their current style and sound hasnt produced anything of equal merit to the early and mid stuff if you get my drift :)

edit - oops sorry forgot the answer to the original question

here it is

[url="http://youtu.be/wlNrQGmj6oQ"]http://youtu.be/wlNrQGmj6oQ[/url]

listen to all 26 mins and tell me if you honestly think that any of the recent albums have any bass lines to compare with this :)

Edited by steve-bbb