Why become a member? ×

It was 20 years ago today

elom

You may remember a thread from a previous bass forum entitled "Gigging, A Beginner's Guide" that I started and numerous people chipped in with all sorts of good advice. Well the time has come, there are no more excuses, tomorrow night (Sat) I have my first gig since June 1987.

Back then it was the end of 'A' levels party and I was turning 18. Now age 37 and turning grey it's a gig for family and friends. There is actually one song that's the same from both sets "She Sells Sanctuary" - a bassline even I can't fluff!

I'm really excited but petrified at the same time. At least it should be a friendly crowd who'll give us the benefit of the doubt. I just need to be confident, focussed, only have the one beer, don't wince when I cock it up and try to enjoy it. The reason why I picked up the bass again after 17 years was so that I could gig again so I shouldn't be moaning about it!

It will be fine, it will be fine, it will be fine, it will be fine.... but I think I'll invest in some brown trousers anyway.

elom

[quote]99% of musical audiences are totally tone deaf anyway[/quote]
And unable to keep time.

The brain has a wonderful knack of making the world intellegable. If the audience wants to think you're playing it right, they will hear it right. Just don't get cocky. Enjoy.

Edited by Pbassred

Buy one of those super-calorie-loaded nut bars. They're called Absolutely Nuts, from Jordans, if I remember -- and they're 40 per cent fat.

Eat it before you go on and you'll be bouncing off the walls. :) *

[size=1]* Must be used as part of a balanced, calorie-controlled diet. May produce weight gain, sleep deprivation and dependency. If side-effects occur, discontinue use. [/size]

Cheers

Mark

+1 on enjoy it.
i went through this last year having not played a gig in something like 15 years.
and we recently played our fist 'home' gig which i found i worried about more because it was infront of friends and family, but i shouldn't of worried, everyone loved it, no-one noticed any mistakes and that included us muffing some songs right up.
go out enjoy it and everyone else will and it'll all fall into place

Well, it is done.

As this was cup final day I think it's okay to slip into John Motsam mode and declare it a game of two halves.

The first set was a real struggle. We'd chosen a simple song to start (Girl from Mars) and that went fine. However when it finished I realised that I was really shaking. As the set progressed I was getting more and more tense and the fingers on my left hand started to acquire rigor mortis. I had to simplify a few lines because I literally couldn't move my fingers and I fluffed stuff more than once. However for the last couple of songs it eased up a bit.

During the break:[list=1]
[*]Lots of people came up and (surprisingly) said how good it was sounding - that helped a lot
[*]I had a pint - that helped a lot
[*]Our drummer pointed out that I could stop worrying about not having played live for 20 years now because I just had. I now had official permission to relax.
[/list]
The second set we just tore it up. No sign of rigor mortis, my feet were no longer velcroed to the floor and I was actually enjoying it. People got up on the dancefloor and it turned into a party. The second set had a few of our potentially dodgy songs but we sailed through them and when we made mistakes (the drummer starting a different song to everyone else, singer launching into a chorus in the middle of a guitar solo) we adjusted in a beat and I think that we were the only ones who noticed.

We finished with I Predict a Riot to a dancefloor full of people singing along and it felt bloody fantastic!

Afterwards everyone was really supportive and positive and we felt that we'd done alright. Sure we made mistakes, we were always going to, but we started every song together and finished every song together and I think that's all we could have asked for. One of the people there was a local landlord and he's agreed to book us so we took that as a good sign.

Someone came up to me afterwards and said "I just loved the way you did that Aerosmith song - it was fantastic". I said "Great, glad you enjoyed it". I didn't mention that we didn't play any Aerosmith.....

So to sum up, I was really surprised at just how nervous I was and how it affected my playing. BUT, I got through it and ended up having a great time and I know that I wont have to go through that next time. Next gig is on Sunday..... bring it on!

elom

[quote name='BeLow' post='2961' date='May 20 2007, 05:01 PM']Top job - we told you that you could do it - well done.[/quote]

Yes, you did. And even though I've never actually met any of you and you're just a bunch of strange names and amusing avatars, your encouragement really helped. I appreciate it.

the rigor mortis thing i got at the first gig i did, didn't want to mention it as it could of happened just becasue it was put in your head, though it happened anyway. but the best thing is you worked round it and they it all fell in to palce.

good work and it just gets better now