Why become a member? ×

Yamaha 02R Digital Mixing Desk..

VTypeV4

Looking great Mike, it's good to see you keeping busy despite it being January. Modern stuff lights up so pretty! ❤️ I've enjoyed all of the Academy gigs - I've worked all three rooms at various points over the last few years and Marius has usually looked after me pretty well although he's not a fan of the Spear / TOH / Ruts / DMW manager.. 😆

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 21/01/2024 at 22:41, VTypeV4 said:

Looking great Mike, it's good to see you keeping busy despite it being January. Modern stuff lights up so pretty! ❤️ I've enjoyed all of the Academy gigs - I've worked all three rooms at various points over the last few years and Marius has usually looked after me pretty well although he's not a fan of the Spear / TOH / Ruts / DMW manager.. 😆

Marios is a good'un! I'm in the main room tomorrow on house mons. We've got Thrice in, which I'm very much looking forward to as I'm a big fan but have never caught them live.  Won't be mixing anything all day as both the headliner and the support are self contained, so it's a day at work of mostly just watching good bands! 

Just got back home from a couple of weeks around Europe as TM/FOH with a pop artist from South Africa on his first headline tour up these ways. Smallest rooms I've done in a while but we had an absolute ball. Great shows, all sold out, and a lovely bunch of people to be on the road with. Took my trusty little SQ5 out for its first shows of 2024 and it did a cracking job. Doesn't get used too often these days but it's such a great little desk for the money. 

PXL_20240220_200756700.thumb.jpg.12b32341c7e46c214eccd470e046c663.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
02R DM1000 SMX

02R DM1000 SMX

I've been doing a little work from home today - the 02R performing as well and reliably as ever. 😃

A&H have done so well with the SQ range - they've certainly rattled some cages, no doubt both Behringer / Midas and Yamaha must be cursing them as the SQ has absolutely stormed that end of the market. I wonder if Soundcraft will hit back with something as there's been nothing special from them for a while?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, VTypeV4 said:

02R DM1000 SMX

02R DM1000 SMX

I've been doing a little work from home today - the 02R performing as well and reliably as ever. 😃

A&H have done so well with the SQ range - they've certainly rattled some cages, no doubt both Behringer / Midas and Yamaha must be cursing them as the SQ has absolutely stormed that end of the market. I wonder if Soundcraft will hit back with something as there's been nothing special from them for a while?

Love to see it still in action! What are you up to with it?

Yeah, the SQ is far and away the best option in thar price range for sure. Really not a fan of the TF and the X/M32 are showing their age.

I think Soundcraft is a lost cause at this point, sadly. Nothing has really happened since Samsung acquired Harman, which they mainly did for the home entertainment end of their portfolio of brands. I don't think they've got any real interest in sustaining a presence in the pro audio sector, but it's a shame to see a historic brand run down like that. Maybe someone will buy it out, who knows?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mike257 said:

Love to see it still in action! What are you up to with it?

Yeah, the SQ is far and away the best option in thar price range for sure. Really not a fan of the TF and the X/M32 are showing their age.

I think Soundcraft is a lost cause at this point, sadly. Nothing has really happened since Samsung acquired Harman, which they mainly did for the home entertainment end of their portfolio of brands. I don't think they've got any real interest in sustaining a presence in the pro audio sector, but it's a shame to see a historic brand run down like that. Maybe someone will buy it out, who knows?

Thanks, Mike. 👍 I've started an electronica project with an old friend so I was making some piano / synth loops in Reason - the 02R was simply monitoring today but I do have a live album on the go with that particular desk currently so it's not heard it's last - far from it. ❤️ I've no plans to retire this one or the example at the studio just yet.

100% with you on the current market. I've only used one TF and that was at Colchester pre-Covid but that has since been retired and replaced with a far more capable and useful QL5. X and M32s are fine and anyone that complains about their sonics clearly can't mix a bag of concrete let alone a band but I'm just a bit bored with them now - far more so than my older Yamaha collection - go figure? Do you feel the same with them?

Aa for Soundcraft, I've never really used one I didn't like - even the Spirit stuff was good enough most of the time. Don't get me wrong, I don't much fancy a gig on a Live 4224 now but 20 years ago, I certainly wasn't complaining. Only a little less than 20 years ago, I had the pleasure of one of the very first production GB-8 consoles and it was a lovely thing - it out performed both the Spirit it replaced plus the A&H GL2200 and GL3000 I was also using at the time. I wasn't so keen on the MH series and thought the A&H ML was better all round but it was still ok. I know the original 328 was dogged with issues and didn't do their 'digital' reputation any good but I still feel the later 328XD was a fantastic and mind blowingly capable machine as archived in this topic. As you suggest, hopefully someone will buy the brand and bring it back as the VI and other digital mixers are starting to show their age a little now. 😬  

02R DM1000 SMX

02R DM1000 SMX

The DM1000 got an outing a few weeks back doing the band / orchestra mix (about 20 channels) for a production of 'Grease'.. Not in the shot but to the right is an X32 capably operated by friend and fellow studio owner, Mark - arguably I had the easy job as he was on cues, sfx and handling all vocal channels.

• 5 weeks later...
02R pre Qu

It's official, the days of this particular 02R running FOH are numbered. Recently, the venue won a grant to make a number of all-round improvements with some pennies ear-marked for a console upgrade. Whilst it's not yet arrived, an A&H Qu32 will soon replace the high-mileage Yamaha. I was also given the option of a full-fat X32 but thought the Qu is arguably the better quality product, it suits myself and the needs of the venue. In an ideal world, I'd have chosen an SQ although the reality was, it was just a bit too far to reach but I've plenty of good experience with the Qu range. 🥰