Why become a member? ×

Yamaha 02R Digital Mixing Desk..

VTypeV4

• 1 month later...

Hey Mike..

The Cluny was cool - he'd got it set up lovely especially the parallel vocal group with a TL Audio 5021 inserted. The other outboard was equally impressive with Drawmer 441s on the 'normal' channels and DBX 160s on the vocals, XTA Eq units on L/R & wedges plus Lexicon FX units - best analogue setup I've ever used.

The RCF boxes were nicely setup with plenty of horsepower on tap although the room would benefit from a little treatment.

As for the DM, it's very impressive to say the least. I've only used it on an acoustic night (3 channels - it'll do 96!) but it'll go into service at the studio hopefully later this week (I'm waiting on some Y splits) as there's a live album waiting to be mixed. It's like an 02R but on mega steroids with a gazillion more options, channels, routing facilities and fx - like I said, very impressive - can't wait to get this album started on it! 😀

49095777268_fcbd669d34_h.jpgYamaha digital family by VTypeV4, on Flickr

49096477842_ece7e46180_h.jpgYamaha digital family by VTypeV4, on Flickr

Just a quick snap of small, medium and large.. The DM will go down to the studio tomorrow and hopefully be in service by the evening; the 02R (dual unity) will stay here at home and the 01V will likely go to the school to as it's small and handy..

• 4 months later...

49705842886_5da1c91310_h.jpgSynkHomeCVD1920 by VTypeV4, on Flickr

Despite all of the Covid-19 madness, I'm doing my best to keep the music going by taking half of the setup from the currently closed Rigger Venue. As can be seen, my 'Dual Unity' 02R is in service.

It's nearly 9 years since I started this thread and six years or more since I purchased my first 02R. Despite all the time and as we head into April 2020, I'm still very happy with them. 😀

• 7 months later...

Sad times this month, finally parted with one of my 01v, and the second is up for sale! 

I have got this little beauty in now though - picking up a bit of streaming and recording work in the absence of any gigs so it made sense to stop hiring in and get something more capable!

IMG_20201026_155615.thumb.jpg.bbd38e3ede818b5edfd243c177d71d7f.jpg

Looks lovely, Mike - haven't had my hands on an SQ yet but they look the mutts nuts! I always enjoy A&H products when on tour - a Qu or iLive is always a welcome sight.. Glad you're still at it too!

50048880467_d1d20f26c2_h.jpgIMG_20200610_135010 by VTypeV4, on Flickr

DM2000 still going strong after 12 months in service - I couldn't do without it now..

50204280217_258a1c7c15_h.jpgIMG_20200726_203420_resized_20200726_093042279 by VTypeV4, on Flickr

Another Soundcraft 328XD I acquired which I'm using in my live room..

50204007216_86dcef0df4_h.jpgIMG_20200707_193436_resized_20200707_073736367(1) by VTypeV4, on Flickr

The ancient GL3000 still running although it doesn't see as much action these days..

50204008071_2ffe693559_h.jpgIMG_20200730_232032_resized_20200730_112110794 by VTypeV4, on Flickr

And of course, my beloved 02Rs - they're all still going although the one at The Rigger hasn't done much recently..

Good to see your collection still being put to good use, glad the DM has proved a worthwhile investment!

I'd highly recommend the SQ. I'm a big dLive fan, and you can see the lineage in it. Sounds wonderful and is incredibly powerful for the price and size. Was a bit of a punt getting a new console given the state of the industry this year but already had a few jobs in that I couldn't have done without it (without paying to hire in) so I'm feeling slightly less regret as each week passes!

How's this year been for you? 

Thanks Mike, although strangely, I still prefer the 02R / LS9 'three knob / four button' EQ control rather than the DMs two per-band layout but that's about the worst thing I can say about it. 😎

Really pleased the SQ is working out for you, I can't say as I've heard a bad word about them on any level. Good to know the lineage has carried well - they got it right with the Qu - it's superb especially given that it's now a few years old and in an entry level position. It's great to see you've got work too - I have a few industry friends who are frankly a little lost at the min.

As for work, it's been 'interesting' to say the least! The studio is plodding along nicely and despite being the centre of my worry back in March, it's the least of them now. I have a steady stream of work both remote and in person plus some of the projects have been really interesting and genuinely enjoyable. On the live front I've sort of done one show but it was at a closed venue largely for a multi-track live recording to be remixed and streamed later. Suffice to say no touring work at all which is a little sad..   

• 5 months later...

So this week will be the first time I'll be using an 02R live since August - it should be interesting! I've still used them in recording world so there's a fighting chance the live show will be ok but still, fingers crossed.. 😁

51187161547_380ae902ec_k.jpgIMG_20210424_204329 by VTypeV4, on Flickr

51188636564_40f6cf5f26_k.jpgIMG_20210206_201930 by VTypeV4, on Flickr

51188636819_6ae81b8003_k.jpgIMG_20210313_201004 by VTypeV4, on Flickr

And a cheeky snap of the DM as I've used that more than anything else in the last 6 months..

51187161527_06df93bf37_k.jpgIMG_20210510_202610 by VTypeV4, on Flickr

My old mate Kirk Brandon doing an 'akoustik' show at The Rigger. I'm expecting it'll be a reasonably low key event but it'll be lovely to see some live stuff again. See if I can still mix!?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Sun St control room

Sun St GL

Sun St GL racks

As this thread approaches ten years old (mental, I know!), I thought I'd share the latest pictures from the move over to Sun St. The studio is almost complete and ready for action with the Mac, MOTU interfaces, the A&H ML5000 and GL3000 not to mention the big Yamaha DM2K..

I've still got the two 'dual Unity' 02Rs at home of which one is part of my home recording setup and the other on standby for external jobs - it recently did a recording job at a local theatre without fuss or fault. The third now lives at a local venue.. 

Edited by VTypeV4
Flickr sharing

• 5 months later...

This thread is so old now but I thought I'd just drop a quick post to show that in 2022, my 'home / ex ITV' 02R is currently being used to mix a live album due for commercial release in April.. 😀 Still going!

02R in 22A

02R in 22B

• Like 2

21 hours ago, VTypeV4 said:

This thread is so old now but I thought I'd just drop a quick post to show that in 2022, my 'home / ex ITV' 02R is currently being used to mix a live album due for commercial release in April.. 😀 Still going!

02R in 22A

02R in 22B

Glad to see the old girl still getting some use! 

My Yamaha's are long gone, but my SQ5 is doing solid work. 

Currently piloting an SD12 around the UK and Europe mixing monitors, lots of fun....

IMG20220209182327.jpg

IMG20220209221818.jpg

IMG20220206182447.jpg

Great pics, Mike - nice! Glad you're keeping busy too, I know so many that have thrown the towel in after the pandemic.

I've done a few shows on the SQ platform (all 7s) now and, I have to say, they were brilliant. Everything where I wanted it, plenty of hands-on controls and above all, I found them really intuitive - arguably the easiest 'walk up' compact digital I've used. I really don't have a bad word for them. 😀

My favourite of the newer generation lot also goes to A&H - this D-live back in September (much like the SQ) was fantastic - no scrabbling around to find things or adjust parameters, simply a pleasure to use. 😃

Live bits 21

On the Digico front, I've had a few good shows on a Quantum (225?) - again much like the SD range - pretty straight forward and trouble free. I also did the Victoria Hall job again for a Christmas show and thankfully I also got an SD12 to mix on. I think Digico have got it right and feel they took a leaf out of the Yamaha book in as much, if you have used any one of their consoles, using a different model is a breeze with plenty of commonalities between them.

• 3 months later...
Dm1000 22

Dm1000 22

Dm1000 22

Dm1000 22

This is my latest purchase, a DM1000 - a close relation of my much larger DM2000. It came from eBay at a very reasonable price as it needed a new screen and some of the faders sorting but it's all fixed now and ready to go. I've not done any shows with it as yet but given it's packed with features and compact dimensions, I'm reasonably sure it'll see plenty of work in the coming months. 😃

• Like 3

• 5 weeks later...
Basses & Festivals 22

No 02R or DM in todays reply but this good old M7 was still doing the business at the 'Sign of the times' Festival (Hertfordshire) over the weekend. An identical console on-stage was running the monitors also. Many years ago, it was suggested to me that the M7 was a bigger, more user friendly version of the LS-9 - all these years later, I'd still agree. 😃

Basses & Festivals 22