Why become a member? ×

Vote on the Basschat Reputation System

Kiwi

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1322006796' post='1445515']
Seems like a popularity contest to me... and I doubt that will be what it is intended for and will be discredited.

I have seen forums split the camp like this before and then the whole thing that made it a general community ended up as a very small active content..
You might still attract new members so you can appeal to advertisers ....................................
You'll get self serving cliques or groups and a herd mentality which might even hunt in packs to promote their own end or products. This needn't be premeditated
but that wont stop it.
.........which will promote a backlash from a few who then will go off and find another forum and you'll lose good members and be left with a jolly little club...

It will be no good thinking...this forum is different because of the people who are here..they all think that.

The single most valuable resource here is people and their opnions/experience...diverse as they may be, as that encourages new members.
If you lose that..you could become a club and end up like the MM forum
[/quote]
There is more than a grain of truth to this.
I myself have found myself wandering to alternative sites recently - it's a combination of the new "upgrade" and the fact that I feel even less able to speak freely here now with the hate button looming over every post... and not being affiliated to any cliques, it genuinely does feel like that.

[quote name='dc2009' timestamp='1321994745' post='1445352']
hmmm, it seems the majority are in favour of some kind of rep system, but they are divided between two options. Unless one of these options gets an outright majority, will you be axing the system altogether?
[/quote]
Only in the same way as the "majority" were in favour of the Con/Lib-Dem coalition - and we all know how popular that is with so many citizens of the country don't we folks!
There'll be riots in Kiwi's bass cupboard - mark my words if there ain't!

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1322051587' post='1445812']

There is more than a grain of truth to this.
I myself have found myself wandering to alternative sites recently - it's a combination of the new "upgrade" and the fact that I feel even less able to speak freely here now with the hate button looming over every post... and not being affiliated to any cliques, it genuinely does feel like that.
[/quote]

+1

Oh wait, i should have just liked that............

I'm all for likes (or even dislikes) for specific posts - but for this to accrue to the poster doesn't appear to address any need that I have.
If we as a community need to police the kind of people we have as members contributing to the forums (fora?) then surely that can be done in a more considered manner than unsubstantiated likes and dislikes.
At the post level, experience with likes on FB would suggest there's benefits from likes drawing attention to valuable / amusing / shareable content, the bad/dull/ignorable stuff simply drops off the collective radar.
Willl

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1322067964' post='1446161']
Which majority are you referring to because there's been some dispute?
[/quote]

[color=#313131][size="3"]The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.
[i]Winston Churchill[/i][/size][/color]

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1322067964' post='1446161']
Which majority are you referring to because there's been some dispute?
[/quote]

Haha nice one. :)
I think we know which way it will go though.

(I also think most of us know that FPTP in this particular poll will leave the real majority feeling a bit had)

In years to come we'll look back with fondness to the halcyon days of yore when we once had that cool little "like" button for a while.... which was recieved well enough, so much so that the forum pixies then added a "hate" button too... which sparked off a "debate".... so then we then had to have a poll... which in turn lead to more debate and private lobying... which ultimately ended up with us getting rid of the whole darned thing altogether.

Anyhoo..... (NSFW)

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0l7YvlvkE24[/media]

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1322071945' post='1446229']
Haha nice one. :)
I think we know which way it will go though.

(I also think most of us know that FPTP in this particular poll will leave the real majority feeling a bit had)

In years to come we'll look back with fondness to the halcyon days of yore when we once had that cool little "like" button for a while.... which was recieved well enough, so much so that the forum pixies then added a "hate" button too... which sparked off a "debate".... so then we then had to have a poll... which in turn lead to more debate and private lobying... which ultimately ended up with us getting rid of the whole darned thing altogether.
[/quote]
I would be happy to have kept the 'like' system that we did have and initially I voted for it.

It was only when it became apparent that some people understood this as a preference for any reputation system, which it was not, that I changed my vote to deactivate.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1322138135' post='1446975']
Until the required result is achieved. Just like the real government!
[/quote]

With that theory just remember that Governments only give a referendum when they know the result. :)

[quote name='BassBus' timestamp='1322070469' post='1446204']
[color=#313131][size=3]The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.
[i]Winston Churchill[/i][/size][/color]
[/quote]

I've met the Man In The Street. And he's a see you next Tuesday.
[i]Sid Vicious[/i]

Edited by bremen

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1322050983' post='1445799']
Yeah it's a funny old thing this rep system... you make quips all day long and you earn a massive rep score yet if you take time out from your day job to assist people to get their basses working or impart actual knowledge you don't get nowt.
[/quote]

My concerns in a nutshell. Well put indeed by the man whose name combines letters and numbers.

OK thanks for your participation everyone. I'm going to close the poll.

Although the votes in favour of the reputation system across two choices were marginally ahead, it was a fairly even result. I'm not sure that the poll has demonstrated much apart from clarifying how opinion is so divided over the topic.

So I guess the prudent thing to do would be to act conservatively and deactivate the rep system.