Why become a member? ×

Alleva Coppolo LG4 sunburst, dalbergia negra board * SALE PENDING *

Clarky

After some hefty outgoings and the failure to sell my Herbie Flowers Jazz, I have to be a bit brutal in what I need and what I just like owning because it's a gorgeous thing. This wonderful bass falls into the latter camp as I am not gigging electric basses right now (upright only with Rattlin Bone) and my recent recording sessions on electric have all been with my 1963 Precision. It's a big shame as I owned this bass once before, sold it to Happy Jack, missed owning it, and bought it back again a couple of months ago (before I ran into car theft, unexpected tax demands etc)

Enough boo hoo, this is one of the last two fully handmade AC's to leave Jimmy Coppolo's NYC workshop (in 2008) before he upped and moved operations to California. BC stalwart lozbass owned both basses before selling this one on (he kept the sonic blue LG4 that is the object of several BC'ers fantasies!). His original FS ad (appended below) includes all the specs. This one is quite gorgeous in appearance (wonderful nitrocellulose sunburst, chocolate coloured rare DN board) and amazing array of sounds. It has two tiny lacquer dings on the headstock and a small one ( that could be buffed out) near the jack socket. Otherwise it's in astounding condition. Comes in Protec gig bag.

I am typing this from abroad so am linking to one of the pics from Jack's website ( hope that's OK Jack?) to give you an impression of how truly beautiful this bass is: http://i53.tinypic.com/2lbyjd5.jpg

Loz' original FS ad: http://basschat.co.uk/topic/100561-sold-alleva-coppolo-lg4-3ts-dn-board/

I am after £2500 cash, no trades for obvious reasons. I will withdraw this if my Herbie Flowers Jazz sells, which would be my preference. Right now only offering collection/meet up in London.

Edited by Clarky

These Alleva Coppolo LG basses really are examples of Jimmy Coppolo at his very best.

Beautifully made and just so 'playable' with a really wide range of totally usable tones - it's pretty much impossible to get a bad sound out of one of these!

His electronics are the most musical around in my opinion, anyone that might be interested really shouldn't be put off by the fact that this is an 'active' 60's type bass. There's the simple passive option if required but the pre-amp really has to be heard to get a feel for just how good this unit is :)

Wow! Now this is a bass that I'd dearly love to have back. IMO one of the best J style basses on the planet (perhaps one of the best basses on the planet) - playability and tone are astoundingly good and it's such a beautiful artefact. At this price the bass is an absolute bargain. I know it's a lot of money to pay for what is essentially a Fender clone, however, what a clone! This bass should be the centrepiece of somebody's collection or - perhaps more appropriately - a career-making and career-defining bass. It's that good. The guys at the Gallery have seen a thing or two, but there was a bit of a gasp when this came out and some serious appreciation re: everytning about the build and components.

I would honestly buy this bass back now if I wasn't in 'sell' mode. Bu**er it, I might buy it back anyway. Get in quick before I do something stupid.

I have this same bass but with an Indian Rosewood fretboard and it's all I have gigged with in the last 12 months which anyone who knows me will know is almost a miracle. The DN board would also be a £1000 additional option if you were buying this but you couldn't as there is none left :-)
Whoever gets this won't be disappointed!!
Steve