Why become a member? ×

Small combo or small cab? Advice gratefully received

ead

I'm looking for a highly portable combination for doing "accoustic" gigs with the band. When we're in full electric mode I use one of the GK MB500 amps into a 1x15 and 2x10 set up. However rather than lumping stuff around un-necessarily I was contemplating some additional lighter gear.

My thoughts were around a small combo say 50-75W of looking for a v small cab to plug the MB500 into. What would be worth considering (can't afford a Minimark sadly!).

Many thanks...

[quote name='ead' timestamp='1321563140' post='1440789']
Ideally £200-250 tops unless there's something unmissable for a little more!
[/quote]

Although not the lightest stuff, the old Peavey 75-80 watt TK combos are great value for money. Usually about £100 (or less)
Tough as old boots and reliable with quite a nice pallet of tones

[quote name='Linus27' timestamp='1321566371' post='1440854']
I am in the same boat as you and have just bought an EBS Session 60 and my god is it good. 60 watts but bloody loud and fantastic tone. About £200 to buy and very lovely.
[/quote]

Why didn`t I think of this? This amp got a really good review in, I think, Bass Guitar Magazine. They couldn`t rate it highly enough.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1321568097' post='1440884']
Why didn`t I think of this? This amp got a really good review in, I think, Bass Guitar Magazine. They couldn`t rate it highly enough.
[/quote]

Yeah it really is great. The thing I like about it is that the sound is tight and punchy but with a warm vintage thickness. So with acoustic guitars and my Precision it works really well as it fills that bottom end that acoustic guitars don't touch. I am totally blown away by mine and I have only had it a couple of days. Oh and it has the tilt back option if you so desire.

Personally, given that you already have a small, powerful amp head that you know how to get a decent sound out of, I'd go for the small cab option. Maybe have a look at the Eden EX110 or EX112 (about £200 and £250 respectively). I've got the EX112 and find it perfect for exactly what you describe.

[size=4]I agree. In my opinion you'll get a better sound if you keep your amp and get a decent 112 cab. [/size]

[size=4]I use my regular amp, usually 500 watts, and a Bergantino AE112. I found that if you go any smaller with the cab you can compromise your sound. [/size]

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1321563455' post='1440798']
Fender Rumble 112 cab - £250ish at GAK - would handle most of the power from th MB500. Weighs 24 lbs.
[/quote]

I was in a similar situation, and opted for this. Got mine for just over £200 in a local shop. I have used it with my TC RH450 and the HH amp. Happy.