Why become a member? ×

Fingerstyle & Dumping The Pick

spongebob

[quote name='spongebob' timestamp='1321354228' post='1438065']
I've been playing for a fair while now (early 90's) and although I started playing fingerstyle, I've been using a pick for most of that time.

[/quote]

You're in your early 90's and still playing? Well done sir!

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1321367968' post='1438277']
Try sitting the heel of your hand on the bridge (which, moved forward a little, is great for muting) - that'll help keep your angle of attack consistent. Strap length will help to settle your angle, too. With a lot of practice, you can get up and downstrokes very consistent, which helps, too.[/quote]

This is exactly what I do. I [i]only [/i]play with a pick. Herco Flex 50 if you must know. :)

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1321390643' post='1438679']
I mainly play with a pick and in my experience the thicker the pick the better. I'm currently using 3mm big stubbies and they do the job very nicely indeed.

Am currently trying to learn more fingerstyle though---want to increase my repertoire a bit!
[/quote]
I mostly play with fingers but I do like those Big Stubbies.

Been playing with a pick for about 20 years, and mostly use the Dunlop 1mm nylon. Kind of stemmed from listening to too much Motorhead! :)

Mostly play fast, driving rock music, which seems to be best suited to playing with a pick, but in more recent times, I've become more and more interested in learning to play finger style. Steadily getting the hang of it, and it is definately proving to be well worth the time spent. Started off jamming along to early Black Sabbath stuff, and found I could get the Geezer Tone by pulling the strings over the fret board, and slowly worked towards playing faster stuff. Can just about keep up with some of the faster Iron Maiden stuff now, but still a bit clumsy! Also been practicing with songs from the set lists of the two bands I am in, and have started having a go at band practices now. I'm holding my own, but with a few whoops moments. Just want to try and be a bit more versatile really, and enjoy a new challenge.

Try as I might, I can't get to grips with slap though. Any tips or lessons greatly recieved!

I played for about 7 years without a pick, having started out with one and then shunned it a couple of years later. It was a revelation to go back to it. I still only use the pick around 10% of the time, but it's a skill and a sound well worth having. I'd advise getting good at both styles, it will make some songs a lot easier/sound a lot better.

I'd love to be able to dump the pick. I've been trying for a few years and while im ok with just fingers at home (in fact i never bother with a pick at home) as soon as we start the gig im back to picking. There are one or two songs i can use fingers on but i get lazy and dont. Could well be that its because we play the songs a bit too fast.

I really must try harder as i love the finger tone way more than the pick tone, although both have their uses of course.

There are some things that almost MUST have a pick, but I dumped it so long ago, I couldn't go back.

But if you want to break any mould of playing...be it slap, double thumb or whatever, you are going to have to nail a regime and stick with it.
It will soon fall by the wayside if you don't.

I've played with fingers for years, but some numbers do really need a pick. Some for the sound/attack. Some for speed (i'm struggling with the bass 'solo' at the end of No One Knows by Queens of the Stoneage).

I bought a selection of picks a few days ago. Different weights, thicknesses and sizes. The problem i seem to have is that i hold them too lightly and they tend to spin around while i'm playing and the pointed bit ends up facing the wrong way!!

The guy in the shop suggested i try Ibanez Sand Picks which basically have a bit of wet'n'dry glued to the ends, but they seem to work ok.

Just more practice i guess.

Good luck to anybody who want to learn a new playing style. Its almost like starting all over again sometimes. :)

I started off finger style 90% and pick 10% on numbers that called for it. I have dropped the pick over the last few years, I believe to my detriment. I think you do need this skill in your arsenal. But never get to practice the skill to get up to speed even though some numbers were recorded with a pick and are difficult finger style.

Edited by deepbass5

[quote name='Dave D' timestamp='1321478919' post='1439781']
The problem i seem to have is that i hold them too lightly and they tend to spin around while i'm playing and the pointed bit ends up facing the wrong way!!
[/quote]
Thumb picks would sort this. I use thumb picks so that I can swap to fingers without putting the pick down.

[quote name='thumperbob 2002' timestamp='1321473924' post='1439704']
couldnt go back to a pick- I use my second finger nail if I want that pick like sound- never lost that either....!
[/quote]

reminds me of keidis saying he had a coke friendly finger and a pussy friendly finger :)

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1321483634' post='1439876'] I,ve been playing with a pick since day one of bass playing, some tunes require fingerstyle, but i,m happier with a pick - (Tortex 1mm) [/quote] Same for me (well 1.14mm).

Edited by Lozz196

Played with a pick exclusivly until I wanted to really nail some Rage when I got my sub bass.
I was massive arse about it too. With comments like "bass nerds using their fingers and playing with a short strap. That's not RAWK!"

Now I play with my fingers and have a very short strap....

Personally I prefer fingers in all most everything, I find them so much more expressive. I only really use a pick on extremely fast chords work where I just want to follow the rythm guitar.

I think the ability to do both is always an advantage. I was a 95% pick player for 15 years, until 2009/10 when I started to want to play fingerstyle. Then I joined a new band this year and basically forced myself to not take a pick.

I'm still MUCH faster with a pick...really fast. But I enjoy fingerstyle more.