Why become a member? ×

Room temp for a bass ?

daz

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1321217551' post='1436683']
Keep them in their (hard) cases, micro-climates ftw

Si
[/quote]

+1 to this - but I'd add a decent plastic case. I had a customer bring in a Les Paul that had been in his loft (no he wasn't an Ebayer :) ) for over 20 years. Was the first time in all those years that the case had been opened - one of those big old ugly 80's Gibson plastic jobs. The guitar was immaculate and ebven the strings were fresh.

Also, I'm pretty sure it is sudden temperature changes that do the real damage.

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1321267941' post='1437015']
I'm pretty sure it is sudden temperature changes that do the real damage.
[/quote]

Yep that sounds right. It's to do with expansion & contraction and something called temperature differential IIRC. The bigger the difference in temperature between the instrument and the surrounding environment, the more (and the faster) it will contract. Having it in a properly padded and sealed case helps to insulate it from the effects of the cold (and undue heat as well, for that matter).

Edited by leftybassman392

Keep them in the warmer room to avoid any issues with condensation, especially if you have high humidity. High humidity isn't an issue unless it starts condensing - which is more likely to happen in the colder room. Keep them in their cases & if they are going to be there some time get hold of some of those packs of crystals that absorb water & put one in each case.

I'd go for the 10-20 but that just because the strings won't be horrifically cold when you go to play them.

Guitars are pretty resillient to cold temps, it's damp you want to worry about. And sudden temp changes as has be said (no putting them by the radiator!)

[quote name='Norris' timestamp='1321275994' post='1437153']
Keep them in the warmer room to avoid any issues with condensation, especially if you have high humidity. High humidity isn't an issue unless it starts condensing - which is more likely to happen in the colder room. Keep them in their cases & if they are going to be there some time get hold of some of those packs of crystals that absorb water & put one in each case.
[/quote]

Although, colder air will be inherently less humid in the first place.

I just keep mine on the wall all year around, except when I'm gigging when it travels in a hard case, which I open up as soon as I arrive at the gig so it can acclimatise with the gig room temperature, which means it'll stay in tune through the set.

[quote name='algmusic' timestamp='1321620971' post='1441273']
Would love to convince the mrs to do this
[/quote]

My wife's a legend so we have basses and snowboards on the walls and she let me redesign our garden so it'd be easy for me to wash down and dry my kitesurfing kit. All she asks is that I don't leave crap lying around where she can trip over it. She's defo a keeper.

[quote name='mrtcat' timestamp='1321625192' post='1441348']
My wife's a legend so we have basses and snowboards on the walls and she let me redesign our garden so it'd be easy for me to wash down and dry my kitesurfing kit. All she asks is that I don't leave crap lying around where she can trip over it. She's defo a keeper.
[/quote]

Please take pictures :-) sounds awesome