Why become a member? ×

car to van?

joe_bass

Considering jacking in my Fiesta Zetec S and getting a diesel van as would be so much easier with all the gear. Would hopefully save some cash at the petrol station as well. I'm thinking along the lines of just a car derived van, an Astravan for example.

Be interested to hear peoples thoughts...

Good idea - but suggest you take the opportunity to switch to LPG for maximum fuel savings.

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vauxhall-Astra-LPG-GAS-DUALFUEL-1-6-/200494035446?pt=UK_Commercial_Trucks&hash=item2eae6031f6#ht_1158wt_1187"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vauxhall-Astra-LPG-GAS-DUALFUEL-1-6-/200494035446?pt=UK_Commercial_Trucks&hash=item2eae6031f6#ht_1158wt_1187[/url]

For example.

Edited by discreet

Be aware that the cost of diesel against petrol these days means that there isn't a significant saving in fuel costs unless you do a lot of miles; it used to be that diesel made sense as it was cheaper than petrol and you generally got more mpg but not strictly true now! Also be aware that some insurance companies are a pita with regard to a 'private' vehicle for day to day use, I had grief as many insurers wouldn't accept that it was my daily transport for me as it was easier to carry my dogs; they were adamant that I needed business use and they wanted to know what business I was using it for! So I'd suggest checking with a few insurers before you dive in... oh and if it is your main mode of transport don't be tempted to just let mates pile in the back to get to and from places the law will hammer you.

Car derived vans do carry a premium because of their association with 'white van man' business use. They can often end up more expensive than they should be on SD+P, possibly because insurers expect them to be used for business use without declaration.

You'd be better off getting an estate if thats the sort of thing you're after. They usually aren't as dismal as CDV's. All the same, weigh up your choice to switch to diesel carefully. Unless you're really doing the big miles, you probably won't see a huge saving. More expensive to buy, high fuel cost, expensive bills when they go wrong, worse to drive...not much going for them, in the long run!

A van sounds like a good idea but please [color=#ff0000]don't[/color] buy an LDV. That's the make, LDV, it doesn't stand for anything. I had an LDV Convoy for six years and it was the bane of my life. Leaked water into the cab area. Spent a fortune trying to cure it. Every winter the entire floor mat would have to come out as it would be sodden wet. The garage told me LDVs are notorious for leaking - even new ones leaked apparently!

My next van will be a Toyota Hiace. Very reliable, and plenty of cheap ones about if you live in England.

[quote name='Bassclef' timestamp='1321205869' post='1436446']
My next van will be a Toyota Hiace. Very reliable, and plenty of cheap ones about if you live in England.
[/quote]

That's a very interesting comment. What's the cheap van of plentiful choice in Scotland? Hope not LDV based upon what you've just said :)

Until recently i had a Astra 1.7CDTi, only an oldish one ('02 plate), great little van. Mine had a rear seat conversion, which when weren't being used folded down completely flat. Even loading and unloading an 8x10 on my own was easy, wheel it up to the back, tilt and slide! The CDTi's are excellent on fuel too. Mine was insured on a commercial policy as i used it for work so not sure about the SD&P policy costs. If it's going to be your only form of transport the rear seat conversion comes in very handy, there's normally loads of them on ebay with the conversion done. I only sold mine because work circumstances changed and the band normally travel to gigs together in our singers Transit so i didn't have any real need for it anymore.

I have an Astra Estate, a 1.7 DTi, diesel, 2004. Cheap to tax - £90 a year, cheap to insure - £300 a year fully comp, with protected no claims. Does about 50 - 55 a gallon.

Has a split rear seat - 2 or 1 can fold down, or both. It`s a great deal easier to get things in/out, than a hatchback, and, as it`s a car, and not a van, none of that markey with the insurance companies.

In terms of gear, I was able to fit me, our singer/guitarist, an Ampeg 410 & 210, a Marshall DBS7400 head, two basses in hard cases, an Orange Guitar Terror combo, two guitars in hard cases, two monitors, and 2 gig-boxes of leads/pedals etc, box of t-shirts/cds.

Makes life very easy for a musician.

I've got a giant long-wheelbase high roof Transit, kitted out as a proper splitter van ( 4 rear seats, back windows, bulkhead to separate load area) and although its an awesome gig machine, and great for camping/road tripping with the family, I'd echo all the above warnings - it's very thirsty at the pump, more efficient when you're doing long motorway trips, but stop-start urban driving really drinks the juice.

Also had the above problems with insurance - trying to explain to insurers that a heavily modified Transit van is my day-to-day family/commuting/leisure vehicle just seemed to be beyond their comprehension. In the end, I could only find one company prepared to give me a quote, which doesn't give me much clout negotiating a good price.

It does make things easier shifting music stuff, and next year we're driving to France with the kids (and new baby) and have no worries about throwing everything but the kitchen sink in to take with us, so it as its benefits!

Don't dismiss the van-derived car!

I have a Berlingo and can fit the entire drum kit (except the bag of bits - stool etc), my cab, head and couple of basses, plus the PA (desk, two speakers, two monitors), plus all associated stands (including everyone's guitar stands), cable covering thingies, the drum riser (a rug!) and still have room for a passenger,

...and, of course, it has seats for when I don't lug stuff around and the extra windows means it's easier to drive.

[quote name='Jacqueslemac' timestamp='1321268496' post='1437026']
Don't dismiss the van-derived car!

I have a Berlingo and can fit the entire drum kit (except the bag of bits - stool etc), my cab, head and couple of basses, plus the PA (desk, two speakers, two monitors), plus all associated stands (including everyone's guitar stands), cable covering thingies, the drum riser (a rug!) and still have room for a passenger,

...and, of course, it has seats for when I don't lug stuff around and the extra windows means it's easier to drive.
[/quote]

+1 to this. Here's mine:

[IMG]http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m496/h4ppyjack/Just%20Stuff/Fiat_ulysse_bj94.jpg[/IMG]

Oh alright, that's not mine, it's a stock photo of what mine probably looked like when it was new. Allegedly.

I picked it up as an insurance write-off (cosmetic damage only) for £800, needing £400 of repairs. I chucked away three of the seven seats, and put a fourth in my garage for when I need it. That makes it a 3-seater comfy-van with sliding side doors, which will easily carry:

Bass-rig + 2 basses
Full drum-kit + drummer
Full band PA
Lead guitarist + 2 guitars

Another good option for a car with tons of space is a Citroën Picasso - my Dad used to have one (old shape, don't know what the new ones re like) and the back seats came completely out, gave a massive load space, nice high driving position too. Got a good ten years out of it pretty much problem free before he moved it on, I borrowed it for a good few gigs and it was great.

Don't, whatever you do. Buy a daihatsu hijet, it's f***ing hilarious to drive because it's so crap (try doing above 50mph, or going over speed bumps, or cornering, or braking, or accelerating). It never gets old but they're really not a practical vehicle at all.

If you can stretch to it I'd advise you to have a look at a VW caddy, bloody lovely to drive they are, awesome vans.
Transit connect would be my choice on a budget, reliable, practical. Power is a bit lacking in some models and the seats suck though.

You probably won't save money at the fuel pump with a van, your fiesta is going to be lighter and set up for stop start driving. A van will be thirstier.
And be aware that LPG costs significantly more to insure than petrol/ diesel for most people.

Have you considered a volvo estate?

Edited by Ross

I ran a Berlingo multispace for 7 years when I changed from needing a small van for work to something more versatile and car-like. Fold the back seats up (a 5 second job) and the load space is immense and VERY accessible - took drummer and guitarist to a gig in London one night with all my Trace rig, guitarists stack, 2 x guitars each and ALL the drum kit. The extra headroom means you can pack in a huge amount of gear. When you are done another 5 seconds sees the seats back to how they were and it is a family car again. On the downside it does look like an ice cream van, not that it was an issue for me, handles like one, too - was absolute sh*te in the snow and ice and it did start to develop some expensive faults after 60,000 miles.

I now have a Skoda Yeti which beats it hands down in every way except the load space, which I miss, although the seats actually come out in the Yeti really easily to free up more space.

i sold my MG in 2008 and replaced with a pick up truck

great for carrying my gear and if loaded properly a decent sized bands gear and the band itself.

only issue with a van/pick up is that parts seem to cost more than on a normal car, so this is worth considering, as well as increased tax etc

diesel engines are usually fairly economical, my tank costs about 80 quid to fill, but will last 2 weeks normal day to day stuff, its when its on the motorway and constantly in the turbo zone it burns through it.

that said, the lack of hassle when loading and unloading makes the cons worth while

i saw someone mention LPG, personally i wouldnt bother, my job is to design petrol stations, and you'll find that super markets won't sell it as there is no money in it, you'll only really get it at motorway services, hence why the industry for LPG cars hasn't kicked off.

I convinced the insurance company back in the day that I needed my Vauxhall Movano LWB van with 4 extra seats in the back for surf trips.
Me and the lads in front, surfboards and camping kit in the back, off to Cornwall. Insured as Private Use no worries at all.

Of course we actually did used to do the surfing trips as well, but the van was mainly for band use. Installed an AWESOME sound system :)

Some great responses here. Pretty much the info that I was after, especially regarding insurance for example. As for saving money fuel wise my Fiesta is hardly thirsty being only a 1.6 so I wouldn't be expecting to see that big a difference, I do do a lot of long distance though.

An estate sounds a much better idea than a van then. Just need to work out a budget, probably in the region of £2000-£2500 taking in to account selling the Fiesta.

[quote name='mike257' timestamp='1321276417' post='1437163']
Another good option for a car with tons of space is a Citroën Picasso - my Dad used to have one (old shape, don't know what the new ones re like) and the back seats came completely out, gave a massive load space, nice high driving position too. Got a good ten years out of it pretty much problem free before he moved it on, I borrowed it for a good few gigs and it was great.
[/quote]

Or a Renault Espace, pretty much the same thing. Very comfortable and, like the Picasso, the rear seats are all independently removable.

Also worth looking at is the Citroen Picasso..... I use the missus one for gigs..... you can take all the seats out... so it's as big a a small van. I get all the PA (2 x 18" subs + 2 x 1 x 15" tops), cabling, lighting, Mixer, monitors plus all my bass rig and there is still room left.

.... Just seen someone posted this earlier....

Edited by crez5150