Why become a member? ×

Reputation system

Hamster

[quote name='ped' timestamp='1321377880' post='1438464']
I'll prob post it up during the day on Fri and keep it until Monday then as I can't see much getting done on Sunday :)

ped
[/quote]

That's great, many thanks. I'll vote on Monday morning then as I'm away at the Aged Parent's this Friday. :)

I've recently nuked my FB account because I can't be bothered with a popularity contest, or mindless harassment. I think the whole 'like/dislike' thing should be tossed out. Either step up to the plate and state your business, or get lost. We can all spot the difference between a reasoned discourse and trolling, but I thought that was what the mods were for. Maybe we should have a 'Mod' button, while the grown-ups can get on with disagreeing with each other... Although I like Rockers too. Anyway, I'm trying to pack in with 'Off Topic', as I find myself getting heated with people who are probably bang-on in real life.

I find the site very slow on all the machines I use it, no matter what OS, processor or amount of RAM they have (I have 3 PCs at home). It was faster on that day when it reverted to the default scheme, which was minus the Basschat-specific customisation and the ads. I suspect that the latter are mostly to blame for slow performance and glitches. Then again, we're using the site for free thanks to them I guess.

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1321390822' post='1438680']
Basschat used to be a simple and effective place. I've pretty much given up with it now; the site doesn't work all that often for me, and apparently the reason for this reduced functionality is that we've been 'upgraded' to this type of nonsense
[/quote]
Sad but true. :)

[quote name='ped' timestamp='1321392420' post='1438704']
Well, like I said, we are only trying it for fun. No harm done, surely?!
[/quote]

Hmm. I'm not so sure. The points are 'reputation' points. Just because someone (or a few) doesn't agree with you, you get a bad reputation? This kind of stuff might affect a sale you have up, or another area where you have great knowledge and expertise. It seems like a 'poster' is being rated by a person who lacks the front to break cover. I may disagree with you... but I shall fight to the death for your right to disagree with me... as long as you have the b**locks to front me face to face, and reputation will be intact.

[quote name='billyapple' timestamp='1321393071' post='1438709']
Hmm. I'm not so sure. The points are 'reputation' points. Just because someone (or a few) doesn't agree with you, you get a bad reputation? This kind of stuff might affect a sale you have up, or another area where you have great knowledge and expertise. It seems like a 'poster' is being rated by a person who lacks the front to break cover. I may disagree with you... but I shall fight to the death for your right to disagree with me... as long as you have the b**locks to front me face to face, and reputation will be intact.
[/quote]

Take a look around the forum - has this happened so far? Even if it did, like I said, it's just to see what it's like. Call it an experiment. Where's the harm in that? If you had any idea how many things you have to experiment with when you have such a big forum as Basschat you would realise it's impossible to be right all the time, which is why we're letting you decide by a vote. In the meantime feel free to ignore it.

Now would probably be a good time to thank Ped and his helper elves for knocking out a world class forum where the smallest mechanical problem and the broadest philoshoffical discourses are addressed within minutes of posting.

Where innocent, smiling newbs are (on the whole) protected from savage old lags. And where pro players and bedroom warriors alike will rally round to a member in need.

All done at no cost to the community and funded by the efforts of someone who's already got a day job. Who has to field a spectrum of problems and queries when the board software gets upgraded - in part because the deficiencies of the old one meant that one of the unpaid admins was spending [i]most of his day [/i]deleting spam.

To be blunt, it is nothing short of a ******** miracle.

Change is rarely welcome, but to fail to explore some of the new options would be silly. And though I harbour reservations about the reputation system, they are so tiny as to be inconsequential. That I should somehow rank 'reputationally' above members like Janek Gwizdala, Ken Smith and Craig Martini can be no bad thing, after all. :)

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='ped' timestamp='1321395392' post='1438746']
So why can't you?
[/quote]

You tell me Ped? I'm not going to lose any sleep over it, but the forum functionality is crap for me now. Posts often still take minutes to load, I've posted several times only for the content not to appear in the thread in question, pictures don't load for me, threads don't appear in searches, and other threads appear then disappear? I'm not complaining, I'm simply telling you how it is for me as a user. I have recently bought two new computers and it's no different on those. I just don't bother trying much any more. It's a shame, but your upgrade was, from my POV, a serious downgrade.

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1321396196' post='1438766']
You tell me Ped? I'm not going to lose any sleep over it, but the forum functionality is crap for me now. Posts often still take minutes to load, I've posted several times only for the content not to appear in the thread in question, pictures don't load for me, threads don't appear in searches, and other threads appear then disappear? I'm not complaining, I'm simply telling you how it is for me as a user. I have recently bought two new computers and it's no different on those. I just don't bother trying much any more. It's a shame, but your upgrade was, from my POV, a serious downgrade.
[/quote]

If you could report these problems to us we can do our best to try and resolve them. Everything works perfectly for me and presumably most other people but we cant diagnose or help if we don't know. I'm not technical anyway so not much use.

The fact of the matter is we need constructive feedback so we can fix things rather than people throwing the towel in and complaining about it.

Anyway, I'm off to bed, I have work tomorrow...

[quote name='ped' timestamp='1321396400' post='1438769']
If you could report these problems to us we can do our best to try and resolve them. Everything works perfectly for me and presumably most other people but we cant diagnose or help if we don't know. I'm not technical anyway so not much use.

The fact of the matter is we need constructive feedback so we can fix things rather than people throwing the towel in and complaining about it.

Anyway, I'm off to bed, I have work tomorrow...
[/quote]

I have done several times, only to be told that my IT is the problem. The feedback above was constructive.

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1321396869' post='1438776']

I have done several times, only to be told that my IT is the problem. The feedback above was constructive.
[/quote]

Ok, well perhaps it is, I don't know. Perhaps the new patch will help. I'm sorry you seem to be having problems.

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1321396869' post='1438776']
[/quote]
I've managed to combat a lot of the problems by clicking the compatibility button at the top of the browser. Have you tried that yet man?

[quote name='ped' timestamp='1321397114' post='1438784']
Ok, well perhaps it is, I don't know. Perhaps the new patch will help. I'm sorry you seem to be having problems.
[/quote]

To be honest Ped, these problems are yours not mine, and I'm fed up of trying to be constructive on this issue. I guess I'm not as charitable as Skank, or perhaps he just has better IT?

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1321397645' post='1438792']

To be honest Ped, these problems are yours not mine, and I'm fed up of trying to be constructive on this issue. I guess I'm not as charitable as Skank, or perhaps he just has better IT?
[/quote]

Perhaps try to see it from my point of view. On the plus side your IT seems ok this evening.

[quote name='ped' timestamp='1321397872' post='1438796']
Perhaps try to see it from my point of view. On the plus side your IT seems ok this evening.
[/quote]

What is your POV Ped?

And yes, it is good tonight, but based on recent experience, I can bet it won't be tomorrow or the following day?

To be fair to Ped, Chris...

Basschat has been upgraded and there's no going back. Users have have had varying degrees of problems, and it's been frustrating, but more investment / effort on Ped & Co's part isn't really going to help.

It's an off-the-shelf application, so assuming the hosting isn't an issue (which it doesn't seem to be, 'cos it's OK for some) all Ped & Co. can do is wait for an update to be released.

All I can suggest is probably what's been suggested already. Clear your temporary files, try a different browser, disable your AV & Firewall to see if that helps.. etc.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1321398850' post='1438812']
To be fair to Ped, Chris...

Basschat has been upgraded and there's no going back. Users have have had varying degrees of problems, and it's been frustrating, but more investment / effort on Ped & Co's part isn't really going to help.

It's an off-the-shelf application, so assuming the hosting isn't an issue (which it doesn't seem to be, 'cos it's OK for some) all Ped & Co. can do is wait for an update to be released.

All I can suggest is probably what's been suggested already. Clear your temporary files, try a different browser, disable your AV & Firewall to see if that helps.. etc.
[/quote]

:) I've tried Michael. Now I'll take it as i see it; for me it works with 75% functionality 25% of the time. I fed this back via the relevant threads at the time and apologise for doing so again above. My reason for posting here (opportunistically I'll admit) was that I got the feeling reading the thread that whilst efforts are being made to add what I consider to be non-core functionality to the site, I still don't even the basics! I doubt anyone will miss my dubious wisdom anyway :)

My POV is that I can't tell you exactly what the problem is because we have sorted out any known issues our end and the ones left we are doing our best to fix. Ben has just started his own company and is quite busy with that, I just got promoted at work and I'm quite busy with that too. My business partner Steve is on the other side of the world so communicating isn't easy. I can't afford the cost of calling in someone else to help and even if I could I wouldn't have the technical know how to even begin to use him or her productively. I haven't got any IT knowledge myself. Any problems left are down to the company who makes the software or the users, both of which mean my hands are tied.

I would say that despite all that, we have managed to make the transition as smooth as anyone could expect. In between phone calls, meetings, tax returns, merchendising nightmares and countless admin tasks and an actual career it really is actually a miracle you still have us to complain about.

I really do appreciate how frustrating it must be for you, especially as it seems you are an isolated case, and I'll do my best to sort it out. Don't think I'm ignoring any request or problem, however small.

That's my POV.

ped