Why become a member? ×

Reputation system

Hamster

[quote name='Johnston' timestamp='1321275730' post='1437145']
although I reckon it should stay out of OT and keep it to valid information in the on topic parts of the site. So if someone constantly gives out wrong info you know not to listen to them because of the negs but the one with loads of likes.
[/quote]This is the flaw with democracy, the most stupid and arrogant have the exact same value as the most reasoned and intelligent.

When someone posts bad information it should be countered with a response that contains a conclusion and the thoughts to get to that conclusion. Simple click buttons are for fanbois who can't manage that kind of thought.

We could label them the cognitive dissonance eraser buttons.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1321287507' post='1437339']
Wait for or go to another post by the same person and 'Like' it.
This will cancel out your Neg.

[/quote]But the originally neged post will show a neg and people will see that and it will influence their opinion of the post. Of course most people won't admit that it will but it does.

I tried to like all the posts in this thread I agree with but the software won't let me. It puts a limit on the love you can give. But I still have negs left :)

I have just proposed a public vote to be open this wekend. I'll announce it nearer the time but we'll let you vote three ways; rep system, like only, or nothing.

Seems like the fairest way to do it! Plan is to post it up on Fri night for the weekend.

Cheers
ped

[quote name='ped' timestamp='1321349730' post='1437984']
I have just proposed a public vote to be open this wekend. I'll announce it nearer the time but we'll let you vote three ways; rep system, like only, or nothing.

Seems like the fairest way to do it! Plan is to post it up on Fri night for the weekend.

Cheers
ped
[/quote]

Pretty good plan Ped.
Although you missed out the "hate only" option... you know for those moments when you want to avoid getting drawn into arguments but need to get make a stand by anonymously clicking a little down arrow button. :)

[quote name='Vibrating G String' timestamp='1321313408' post='1437834']
This is the flaw with democracy, the most stupid and arrogant have the exact same value as the most reasoned and intelligent.

[/quote]

Democracy? Two lions and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner.

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1321352172' post='1438026']
I looked up the original quote and there's more....

A Republic is two lions and a lamb voting on what's for dinner..... only the lamb has a gun.

:)
[/quote]

brilliant, I'd never heard that part.

The modern world is two lambs and a lion voting on what's for dinner...only the USA gives the lion a gun.

'87% of Internet quotes are misattributed' -Abraham Lincoln

[quote name='Toasted' timestamp='1321368366' post='1438281']
So... I have a green box with "7" written on it in my profile. I guess that's because 7 people have clicked "like" on one of my posts.

The vanity in me would like to know if it's possible to search for which posts have been liked?
[/quote]

I had a number on mine marked "Good", then it went to "Excellent"; since the new reputation system started the number has increased but I've been relegated to "Good" again. :)
You can be notiofied in your settings to get an email every time someone "approves" you.

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1321368956' post='1438287']
I had a number on mine marked "Good", then it went to "Excellent"; since the new reputation system started the number has increased but I've been relegated to "Good" again. :)
You can be notiofied in your settings to get an email every time someone "approves" you.
[/quote]

I saw that, Skanks is really high but still only good as well.

[quote name='ped' timestamp='1321349730' post='1437984']

Cheers
ped
[/quote]

I like this except I'm not on line at the weekend. How long are you keeping the poll up for?
(Just wondering.. not asking you to change anything just so I can vote!)