Why become a member? ×

I just got me a Mesa Walkabout Scout

wateroftyne

...and - ooooooooooooooooooh yeah!

I try not to get excited about stuff before I've used it in anger, but this is proving to be a bit tricky to keep under my hat... so to speak.

Sounds great, and loads of welly. There's so many options - use it standalone, plug my JPJ 12" cab into it (it'll be a 2.67ohm load, but apparently it'll be fine), whip the head out if anything happens to my 'main' rig... I love it.

More soon. :-)

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='163429' date='Mar 25 2008, 10:48 PM']...and - ooooooooooooooooooh yeah!

I try not to get excited about stuff before I've used it in anger, but this is proving to be a bit tricky to keep under my hat... so to speak.

Sounds great, and loads of welly. There's so many options - use it standalone, plug my JPJ 12" cab into it (it'll be a 2.67ohm load, but apparently it'll be fine), whip the head out if anything happens to my 'main' rig... I love it.

More soon. :-)[/quote]

You is gettin worse than me :)

[quote]You is gettin worse than me[/quote]

God forbid. :)

[quote]I've had my eye on one of these for quite a while - almost picked one up back end of last year, but just missed out

Just a quick couple of questions...

Where did you find it in the end?

Will there be a full review soon?

Cheers

John[/quote]

I bought it from a chap up in Scotland. It's about a year old, but he's hardly used it. It's absolutely immaculate.

I could never afford a new one, so I just had to keep digging around for a used one.

Unfortunately, my next two-or-three gigs will need my big rig, but I might take it to Edinburgh with me in a couple of weeks... There will be photos and a full review soon, though!

You don't see many for sale in the second hand market and they are hard enough to get hold of new (and as you say expensive), looking forward to the review and the photos :) - hope it lives up to expectations, I've read many a good thing about them...

Edited by jwbassman

Congrats on the Scout purchase WOT. I am actually on my second scout after my first one never managed to get rid of the gremlins that constantly beset it. The nice people at Mesa however exchanged it for the new model with the one jack socket and passive/active toggle switch instead of the two jack sockets. It's a great combo with the ability to fulfil so many roles.

I popped the head out of the Scout and used it at Saturday's gig. it was a private do in a village hall, with about 150 people. No PA support, just the head and my Schroeder 21012L.

Holy crap... this little fella can chuck it out, can't it??

I piggy-backed it with my Warwick TubePath 10.1, and used one head in each set, both pretty much flat as usual (I'm a simple guy!).

The Mesa sounds [i]remarkably[/i] similar to the TubePath - very, very round, punchy and tube-y. This is exactly what I'd hoped, as they have a very similar pre's (this configuration can also be found in DHA's new head, I think.)

I just couldn't believe the welly of the Mesa... it barely worked up a sweat. Fab.

• 2 weeks later...

...and here's a photo:

It's stacked with a fine custom 12" cab made by BC's very own JPJ. It stacks perfectly!

The Scout is hefty enough on it's own, but when the two of them are linked up it's frightening.

I haven't been able to use the Scout at a gig in combo format yet, but I'm going to take this set-up to a Theatre gig I'm doing tomorrow. Should be fun...!

Well, I finally used it in combo form last night at a 200-seat theatre gig in Somerset.

I brought the extension combo just in case, but.. christ on a bike! I didn't need it.

The stage volume was very controlled, and there was no need to put any kit in the monitors. As a result the Scout was fine all on it's lonesome, sat on the floor pointing at my knees. The FOH guy couldn't believe how much it chucked out, and loved the DI, and the rest of the band commented on how cool the tone was.

Of course it would need the extension cab at a gig without PA support, but for this kind of thing, and rehearsals, it's utterly, utterly mint.

MWAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAA

I assume your amp is the 8-ohm version if you are linking it to an extension cab? I know they are available in 8, but generally are supplied with a 4-ohm setup, so you get max power as a stand alone combo.

I'm looking at getting one of these heads for rehearsals, and have been offered a used one from the US at a good price. I'm trying to find out if its gonna be feasible to get it running on 240v.

Nah... it's 4ohm but Mesa have all but confirmed that it'll run at 2ohm (putting out 500w-ish). Lots of users over on TB have been doing so without a problem, too.

With the extension cab I'm actually running mine at 2.67ohm.

I considered importing, but from what I gather there's no straightforward mod to run it at 240v. In the end I just checked eBay and got lucky...

[quote name='The Burpster' post='176097' date='Apr 14 2008, 10:32 AM']Somone else on here (cant remember who just yet) has just bougth a BigBlock back from the US and is now having a nightmare trying to get a 240v transformer.......!

I got VERY lucky off gleebay...... stuff is out there![/quote]

I spoke to Mark at Westside today and he said the only way to convert properly is to use Mesa Boogie transformers. Everything is custom made for the amps. The cost to convert a Walkabout is £200 - £250, so I decided against the idea.