Why become a member? ×

Impressions and reviews on tc electronic rh750 anyone?

Fantobass001

hi,

I need a new head for my cab after being sourly disappointed by my svt 3 ampeg (lack of head room, and other stuff ) and the tc electronic rh750 has caught my attention. Has anyone here something to say about it? I d be interested to hear. Also if you have read any bad review on it somewhere on web forums i d be interested as most of what i read is praising the head. So id like to balance it a bit.

One thing i know that mark king and few other bassists use it but and with no offence mark king is the last kind of bassist i would follow, not becayse of slap but because his style of slap. So really what i d to hear his impressions from groovy players ( especially ampeg users).

Thanks.

I briefly owned a RH450 which is essentially the same apart from less power and lack of tweeter tone. It's definiately a great featured head (the best perhaps) and I do fancy having another look myself at the 750 BUT as with a lot of class d stuff I found something about the sound that I didn't particular take to. I found the RH450 a little 'grainy' for my tastes. I like the softer side of tube amplification and came to the conclusion that this is not what this head does best.

[size=4]I've got an RH750 and it goes [i]very[/i] loud. The EQ is very strong and can give you thin and tinny or fat and wide with every variation in between. [/size]

[size=4]TC use a lot of clever processing to get the volume and tone out of their amps and you either like the sound of a TC amp or you don't. But that's pretty much the same when you compare every other amp. I'm loving it and my bands are too. I've asked them and they prefer it to the Markbass F1 I had and even the Thunderfunk! I'm also checking out it's 2.6 ohm abilities at the moment. [/size]

[size=4]I can't think of one bad thing to say about the Rh750. [/size]

I have a RH750 and i couldnt be happier, there are a massive range of sounds available and it sounds extremly meaty even at low levels, a massive upgrade over my previous SWR rig!
ive tried many micro heads now and im glad i went with the TC, to me it is the most versatile and arguably the loudest class D amp out there.

also i have directly compared this to the SVT7 pro and the ampeg just cant keep up volume wise, it sounded good but didnt have the headroom for me.

Edited by winterfire666

You may have missed the whole 'real RMS wattage' saga that took place.

Basically, I think most owners of the RH450 thought it was more like a 600-700W amp compared to the other micros. In fact, according to one magazines tests, it is actually something in the 230W zone at 4 ohms...however, magazine tests that delve too deep can often start to take the point off real life situations.

TC use a clever system called Active Power Management (like a modified compression) to 'get the most' out of every watt there is. The amp will never, IMO, clip, like a Markbass amp can. You could push it to full whack, it will react like a tube act (eg the notes will 'sag' a little and you may get a little overdrive and more warmth). That is what the amps do best.

The 750 is again not 750W RMS, however TC have stated the power module is capable of it, (as is the 450 capable of 450). If you took the APM off (which you can't) the amp wouldnt have the character it has, but it would produce the wattage apparently.

So, what you actually get is an amp that sounds louder than most other micro amps, yet apparently doesn't push the same 'wattage' technically.

I can tell you that the RH450 and RH750 are incredibly loud, and I don't regret going with TC's equipment.

[quote name='Fantobass001' timestamp='1321385724' post='1438618']
Oops, i've been given a -1 point ;-)

I apologize for having offended a Mark King fan. I love Dune Tune though ;-)
[/quote]

That's okay, I tipped you back in the right direction because unlike the person that gave you the minus point, I realised it was just a joke and laughed!

I'm also looking into the RH750. I've been an Eden user for almost 3 years now and whilst I do love my WT800 and 410XLT cab I do believe it's time for a change. I had the pleasure of using one of the RH450's + 2 x RS210's at a gig in Sweden, but I didn't get a chance to really get a feel for it as I was far away from it and playing to nearly 10,000 people in a big arena with most of my bass coming from my monitor mix... I'm not bragging either, believe me I would have been much happier stood next to the amp. From what I heard of it I really liked, my only worry was that it might not have enough headroom so I'm looking at the 750 instead.

[quote name='Fantobass001' timestamp='1321552592' post='1440608']
Merci beaucoup for given me my point back ;-)

Has anyone something to say about the compression they use on the head? Is it that different from others from the one on the ampeg svt pro7 for instance?

Thanks
[/quote]

For a one knob compressor, its quite a nice bit of kit! I don't use it much, but it works well. The amp itself would slay the Ampeg for quality.

I've just bought an RH450 in the long search to have a lightweight head that can replicate the sound I have with my SWR Workingpro with the bass intensifier on and just using the back pickup. Hard and deep to cut through the mix with a keyboard player. After owning and selling an Eden, Markbass LMII and lastly a Genz Shuttle 6.0. (It was pointless investing in lightweight Berg cabs and then lugging round the heavy SWR amp) I'm a fingers groove player.
I'm still at the twiddling stage so haven't found "the sound" yet, but the ability to shift the frequency of each EQ pot is pretty clever and being able to save 3 different sounds in mermory is brilliant. So you can adjust the bass EQ pot to centre around a lower frequency to cut or boost. Incidentally I hate the sound of the tube simulator -too much distortion.

[quote name='sunfish' timestamp='1321702125' post='1442103']
I've just bought an RH450 in the long search to have a lightweight head that can replicate the sound I have with my SWR Workingpro with the bass intensifier on and just using the back pickup. Hard and deep to cut through the mix with a keyboard player. After owning and selling an Eden, Markbass LMII and lastly a Genz Shuttle 6.0. (It was pointless investing in lightweight Berg cabs and then lugging round the heavy SWR amp) I'm a fingers groove player.
I'm still at the twiddling stage so haven't found "the sound" yet, but the ability to shift the frequency of each EQ pot is pretty clever and being able to save 3 different sounds in mermory is brilliant. So you can adjust the bass EQ pot to centre around a lower frequency to cut or boost. Incidentally I hate the sound of the tube simulator -too much distortion.
[/quote]

Literally have it 'just on'....and it adds a nice hair to the notes. The amp is simultating tubes anyway without the tubetone, so no need to use it if you arent keen.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1321705790' post='1442171']
Literally have it 'just on'....and it adds a nice hair to the notes. The amp is simultating tubes anyway without the tubetone, so no need to use it if you arent keen.
[/quote]

Yes, I found the trick on my Classic 450 was turn the Tubetone up until it was noticeable, then turn it back a touch. It just removed the complete clean-ness, but still had clarity, without mega distortion. This was usually at about 4 on the control.

I used one for a good while. however I definatly prefer the loudness and sound and loud volume with the Markbass.

I would definatly try one out as its a fantastic piece of kit, a one stop shop for pretty much everything and the extra highend over the RH450 adds the option for hi-fi clean tone.
It is very loud but IMO it's a different kind of loudness. In a mix it sort of feels compressed and not any real cut (used flat eq anyway) however add a bit of drive and its a great tube sim sound.

I changed not because its a bad amp or a bad sound but I prefer the clean tube pre-amp in the LMTube, the second and third harmonics ring so much it makes me tingle and for me it makes the difference in a mix.

To be all scientific the sag and compression in sound in my opinion comes from how its APM proicess the signal peaks and troughs. Even when its not being pushed it increases the louder peaks to be as loud as say 600w or 700w peak. When its quiet it amplifies these waves to louder than what a standard amp would. However my point is when its quieter its supposed to be quieter i.e dynamics, but i may be simplifing.

try one. I was looking at getting a RH450 one at one point. It is an awesome bit of kit really really amazing. But it has a sound of it's own, which you may or may not like. In the end I found a secondhand Puma 1000 on here instead as it was more the sound I was looking for.

• 2 weeks later...

OMG!
I tried out this amp today - I tried to sell one of my kidneys to the shop but they declined!
It's very impressive - loud but with real quality/depth and it felt like it should just have a 'power reserve' gauge / like a new Rolls Royce does.
Definately the next trade up from my current BH500. TC do seem to be investing loads into client demand/the bass cognoscenti
J

Hi I bought a 450rh 6 months ago after trying both the 450 and 750 and found the 450rh extremely loud and powerful and it a great little amp...the 750 obviously is more powerful and i couldnt justify paying the extra for an amp that is obscenely loud! i would never use all that power.I've gigged the 450 about 8/9 times in all different types of venues and it is super loud and has plenty of headroom....i have never had it over half way on the volume.
I did whack it up full volume at a rehearsal just to try it out and all our ears felt the pain lol!....god only knows what the 750 would do....our heads would have exploded! =)

• 8 months later...

Hi
The watts from digital don't seem the same from traditional amps.... and the lows are not the same. The RH750 it's a great head, like a swiss knife has many nice features like the memory, tuner... and the compressor it's very very good. It's more heavy than the others mini-heads, but very easy to transport. So, the only think I didn't liked was when I compared the sound to the Mesa Boogie Walkabout and the lows are not the same. The Mesa wins, but it's a head with a valve preamp, so, diferent worlds, maybe. But, if we don't compare, the RH750 it's a very good head.

I have video reviewed the Rh750 in my bass section of iGuitar magazine.

It's always free to read. Here's issue 6 with the RH in. Next week issue 12 goes live online.

Direct link: http://licklibrary.ceros.com/iguitarmag/iguitarmag-issue-6-michael-angelo-batio/issue6/page/1