Why become a member? ×

Opeth

dmz

[quote name='Jam' timestamp='1321363937' post='1438207']
The band were incredible as always, but the audience in Birmingham were terrible. I don't know whether it was me getting old, or people wanting more growling, but there were so many people talking really loudly, especially during the softer bits. Really disappointing and pretty rude, I thought.

[/quote]

Bristol was really bad for people talking too. I only ever used to come across this at London gigs, where people appeared to go to gig purely to say they went to gigs. Nothing to do with liking the music of watching live bands, just box ticking. It's even worse now with Facebook and Twitter.

I don't know whether it's me put gigs seem to be quieter than they used to be. Maybe it's because PA tech has advanced and you can get clarity without volume. I've stood next to PAs for whole gigs and walked out at the end without the old ringing ears.

Saw them on Prognation tour with Dream Theater. they where the surprise hit of the night and I put a couple of CDs of the back of it. really like them and as the years have passed by the bass seems to have become more prominent and melodic. really good band. Not got the latest yet though.

Incidentally I sat down and listened to the Deliverance album, and it gave me chills. Amazing musicianship, outstanding bass playing and so so good. I don't normally like death growls but Mikael Akerfeldt can seemingly do no wrong! Man crush.

Hey guys

Got to agree about the f***ing idiots talking and heckling at Bham,bad form im not sure what the "rain in blood/play us a moshing song" guy was on but he looked & sounded totally blasted (he wasnt to far back from me) & what was the guy shouting "get you tits out" durning the devils orchard thinking ffs!,im all for a little bit of sport with akerfeldt durning the breaks as hes the one that corts it and he seems to enjoy it as much as the crowd does,but durning dynamic parts of the songs plz just keep your mounts shut if you not singing along!,i myself told two teeny guys across from me to STFU twice durning the acoustic set,it was like they were in the playground pushing & whooping at each other morons.......

Anyhows on to Opeth! what can i say Fantastic! highlights for me were Closure (it just seemed to keep on building and building),A Fair Judgement & Hex Omega,the acoustic set was pretty cool also (although TOW was a little boring seemed to drag on a bit) & sure i missed hearing some of the classic Opeth tunes like Blackwater Park,Bleak ect ect but that was then this is now,im cool with the new stuff and it grows on me the more i listen to it,you gotta respect them for playing from the heart not just milking there old sound to death like so many other bands have time and again

as most ppl have said sound level was great no ringing come sunday morning and a great balance,i did think the kick was a bit to boomy but it seem ax likes it that way,bass could have done with being a little higher in the mix but then again as bassists we always think that i guess :)

Pain of salvation were great aswell,there newer stuff seemed to come over much better live than on disc (i really hate the production on the last 2 cd's sounds like there recored in a garden shead imo)and i was chuffed that they played ashes and perfect element two of my fav POS tunes (would have loved to hear undertow from RL though) one the whole a great night wouldnt hesitate to see them again

Cheers
Gizmo

[quote name='Gizmo' timestamp='1321572669' post='1440939']
Got to agree about the f***ing idiots talking and heckling at Bham,bad form im not sure what the "rain in blood/play us a moshing song" guy was on but he looked & sounded totally blasted (he wasnt to far back from me) & what was the guy shouting "get you tits out" durning the devils orchard thinking ffs!,im all for a little bit of sport with akerfeldt durning the breaks as hes the one that corts it and he seems to enjoy it as much as the crowd does,but durning dynamic parts of the songs plz just keep your mounts shut if you not singing along!,i myself told two teeny guys across from me to STFU twice durning the acoustic set,it was like they were in the playground pushing & whooping at each other morons.......
[/quote]

My first, and definitely last gig in Birmingham. I would have gone to London to see them if I wasn't seeing Turisas the next day in Reading.

At the end of A Fair Judgement where he sang "nothing...left....." and there was a big pause/instrumental bit, just before he sang "here" this moron in front of me just shouted "DEEEEEERRRRRPP".

I've always wanted to hear that song live, and I was so wound up. I ended up just telling the guy to "please be quiet, that's a good fellow".

I disagree, I don't think that's the case at all, rather that because they were playing so much from their new album, they chose older songs that would fit better with that setlist.

I think once they've finished this tour, the next time they play they'll have a mix of old and new.

I was gutted when they didn't finish with Demon of the Fall though....