Why become a member? ×

Opeth

dmz

Went to see them in Bristol last night. Whaddaya know - a sound engineer (theirs I imagine) who knows what he is doing. No blisteringly loud but nice and dynamic, punchy - you could hear everything. No tinnitus afterwards too.........

I don't think they endeared themselves to the METALheads as there were no cookie monster vocals and there was quite a long acoustic set in the middle. I loved it though - That Mikael Akerfeldt is very funny. "You want this guitar.............give me your house"

Pain of Salvation were great as support - sound not great to begin with but it got there towards the end.

Anyone else go ?

Great curry in the Kathmadu beforehand but perhaps that is for another forum......... :)

Great gig! I didn't miss the cookie monster vocals either. Shame they didn't play Harvest or The Drapery Falls, but I still thoroughly enjoyed it. I also got to see them at the Royal Albert Hall, so at least got to hear those tracks at that one. I think I prefer the direction they're going with the new album and the new keyboardist was fantastic and was really on it with the harmonies.

To be honest I mainly went to see Pain Of Salvation who were pretty damn good considering they were shafted by the sound engineer (like all support bands). They also gelled very well considering they had a new rhythm section and only played two songs that weren't from the new Road Salt albums (not their best material by a long shot, but an interesting development for them). Either way, the Opeth fans hated them.

I saw POS in Camden a few years back (just after they recorded BE) so got to hear all the Remedy Lane and Perfect Element tracks. I'd definately recommend checking them out on a headlining tour if you haven't already.

Opeth 'fans' - if all you go to an Opeth gig to do is heckle 'play some death metal' then you should probably spend the money on a Cannibal Corpse ticket next time...

On the contrary ! Opeth's death metal/blues rock dynamics are what I love about them, moving to older mellotron prog style isn't a positive move for me. I don't think they have the same edge they did a few years ago, but - they're a prog band and by that definition don't stay the same. Their highlights for me will always be Damnation/Deliverance, I never get bored of hearing those albums. I saw them in 2002 (free ticket) and they were awesome.

I went. To be honest Pain of Salvation bored the crap out of me. I could find nothing at all that I liked about them.

Opeth were great, but the drum solo was a bit unnecessary. I have to say I was in the mood for a nice loud shouty set so I did find it a bit too mellow.

The number of old rockers, who'd wandered in from the cancelled Motorhead gig, who stood around talking loudly p*ssed me off too..

Damnation is my favourite album, then Ghost Reveries.

Edited by bartelby

Awesome band, great bass player too!!

Im going to see em at Brixton on Sunday. Cant say im a huge fan of the new album, much prefer the heavy/soft vocal mix on tunes like Ghost of Pedition and Drapery. Thought the Damnation album was incredible as well. That for me is what makes Opeth so original and cool. Their new album style has been done by better bands in the past, like Purple and Rainbow.

Loved the Albert Hall gig - a great mix of heavy and soft.

Ps - i also hate the idiots in the crowd shouting "Play something heavy". Thats not what peth are about - go see Devildriver or the other Roadrunner shouty/x2 bass pedal clones.

Tbh I think Akerfeldt's an arrogant dick, but they do usually have a very good sound, often managed by never playing too loudly.

Grown sick of them and their arrogance, hence not bothering to see them anymore, even if I do quite like some of their music.

That Axe fella on drums is a monster, mind!

Off to see them on Sunday, did they do nothing with death metal vocals at all? I really like the new album and love the mellow stuff but think it would be a shame if they didn't do any growly vocals as the likes of Demon Of The Fall, When, The Night And The Silent Water, Deliverence, Masters Apprentices , Under The Weeping Moon, Blackwater Park, The Drapery Falls, The Moor, The Baying Of The Hounds, Heir Apparent etc are all clasic Opeth tracks and all have at least some heavy vocals on them

Arrogant? Thats the last thing I would have described them as?!
I remember reading an interview where they were perfectly happy stating that all their fans were geeky boys playing games workshop (or soimething to that effect), they've always come across as very good humoured to me!?.

I've not heard the new album, but its always the case that when a band tries to evolve themselves to keep themselves interested in music, the fans will say "oh we want the same album again".
Lets face it, Ghost Reveries and Watershed are pretty similar...although I love both. They were always gonna change it up.

Saw them on the GR tour and thought they were stunning live

Si

[quote name='dc2009' timestamp='1320927379' post='1433220']
Tbh I think Akerfeldt's an arrogant dick....
[/quote]
Why do you say that? He's always come across as really pleasant & down to earth to me.
I love Opeth but have yet to see them live. I was gutted when I found out they'd played in Bristol the other night.

Gutted I've missed this tour, they're a band that have kind of slipped from my attention recently for some reason. They generally seem to be amazing on tours and crap at festivals from my experience. Personally the new album has it's moments but I don't feel works too well as a whole.

Akerfeldt's always seemed like a great down to earth guy on every performance and in person to me...

Someone always has to come in a say "the fans always want the same album and thats boring etc". That's cack. Who wants the same album churned out over and over again? No-one. Ghost reveries is completly different to Watershed - totally different drumming style (i.e new drummer), softer songs and completely different guitar solo's (i.e a new guitarist).

I love Opeth's soft stuff, damnation is amazing as its still Opeth, they have showed this type of diversity properly since Still Life. But the new album is very boring, couple of decent tracks but no real memorable stuff. And Aker's lyrics are pretty sub standard compared to the other albums. On famine = "Kill the pain, in your brain, insane". weak

Edited by wally8

[quote name='wally8' timestamp='1320943998' post='1433576']
Someone always has to come in a say "the fans always want the same album and thats boring etc". That's cack. Who wants the same album churned out over and over again? No-one. Ghost reveries is completly different to Watershed - totally different drumming style (i.e new drummer), softer songs and completely different guitar solo's (i.e a new guitarist).

[/quote]

I was talking very broadly, in that the two albums are definitely by the same band you know, there's no vast deviation between the two at all. I'd say drumming and guitar solo styles is quite specific, it doesn't affect song structure or the vocal.
Again, I've not heard the new album, but I suspect they just wanted to throw a complete curve ball, grow and evolve their sound as they, as people, have no doubt grown. Bear in mind that they have done the acoustic album as well, so they are prone to more chilled moments.
Who knows, maybe the next album will be all screaming :)

Si

I know what u mean si, but all of their albums including damnation are very Opeth and each one is different. This new one is more of a aker solo project with the other members losing their identity. I prefer his clean vocals over the growl, but its nice to change it up at times, I.e being Opeth.

Edited by wally8

Well im off to see them on saturday cant wait! I missed seeing them on the Watershed tour with Cynic much to my disappointment (cynic being my 2nd fav metal/prog band next to opeth)

Its Sad to hear that POS are only playing limited tunes from pre road salt albums,up to ScarSick i really loved what they were doing One Hour/PE/RL are 3 of my fave albums but most of SS & both road salt albums ready dont tick my boxes at all,were opeth have seemed to have progressed POS seem to have regressed

I have to say that Heritage kinda threw me on the first listen,id heard the leak of Devils Orchard on you tube and kinda dug the 70's fusion vibe/tone of it but after a few listens of the whole album it bedded in,the 5.1 mix i found is much much better for getting of the dynamic/space the album has,
still not sure what to make of track slither though(i know it a tip of the hat to RJD and is a little tongue in cheek)but i think they should have swapped it out with pyre and made sliter the bonus track (missing the 5.1 mix of prye for sliter is a bit of a loss IMO) btw i was one of the lucky/jammy first 500 DVD pre-orders with the "in prog we trust" coin and band signed booklet very nice :)

I dig the Cookie/Death vocals of there earlyer stuff but i can take it or leave it im not one of those fans that seem to think they own the band and will throw a hissy because its not "METAL" enought

Laters
Steve

[quote name='wally8' timestamp='1321295012' post='1437467']
Oh yeah, epic live. Shout out to pain of salvation too. Never heard em before, but well impressed with the singer, sounded like Chris Cornell at times. Average bass player
[/quote]

I noticed the more interesting parts of the basslines was played by the vocalist/guitarist or the guitarist on their 7 strings.

Edited by bartelby

I went to see Opeth in Birmingham. I've loved them for years, and I was a bit disappointed with the new album until I gave it a few spins. The bass playing is absolutely brilliant, especially in "Lines in my Hand". I've been practicing that recently and it's so much fun.

The band were incredible as always, but the audience in Birmingham were terrible. I don't know whether it was me getting old, or people wanting more growling, but there were so many people talking really loudly, especially during the softer bits. Really disappointing and pretty rude, I thought.

Someone shouted to Akerfedlt "WE WANT TO MOSH" to which he responded "You want to mosh? I used to do that when I was a teenager. It's f@cking stupid. Go listen to Anthrax if you want to mosh". Maybe that sums up the audience there, I dunno.

[quote name='Jam' timestamp='1321363937' post='1438207']
Someone shouted to Akerfedlt "WE WANT TO MOSH" to which he responded "You want to mosh? I used to do that when I was a teenager. It's f@cking stupid. Go listen to Anthrax if you want to mosh". Maybe that sums up the audience there, I dunno.
[/quote]

Love that! I love people getting into the music but prefer jumping etc to moshing by a country mile

[quote name='Jam' timestamp='1321363937' post='1438207']
I went to see Opeth in Birmingham. I've loved them for years, and I was a bit disappointed with the new album until I gave it a few spins. The bass playing is absolutely brilliant, especially in "Lines in my Hand". I've been practicing that recently and it's so much fun.

The band were incredible as always, but the audience in Birmingham were terrible. I don't know whether it was me getting old, or people wanting more growling, but there were so many people talking really loudly, especially during the softer bits. Really disappointing and pretty rude, I thought.

[/quote]

They are idiots. Whats the point going to a incredible technical fest of wonder and shouting "play something heavy". P1ss off to a lawnmower death concert or something. I must be getting old too as it was a pleasure not having sweaty stinky teens sliming me or getting a size 9 in the head.

There was a 60 year old Dave Mustaine lookalike with barnet and denim jacket to boot a few yards away from me going wild on his own which was hilarious!!!

I have to admit the band were very quiet at Brixton and you could hear people talking which is a first for me at a concert.