Why become a member? ×

Foam under the strings??

Beefyeggo

In Mexico recently I spotted a guy playing an elderly Jazz with a piece of what appeared to be a piece of upholstery foam underneath the strings near the bridge.

I couldn't get close enough to take a proper look or ask the guy about it.. Does anyone know the purpose of this?

Rob

p.s. My profile says [u]no longer[/u] a newbie but that's bollocks...

I think this is commonly referred to as a foam mute. I believe it was standard on the early Fender basses. A lot of players still use them and it gives the bass a more upright, thumpy tone (again, i believe).
James Jamerson used them, as does (or did) Bob Babbit and this is part of the Motown sound.

Its the girls way of muting the strings. You can also achieve a similar effect by using the palm of your plucking hand rested slightly on the strings when plucking/picking the strings. Its a nice effect used in the right conditions. I used it on a recent recording here.

[url="http://soundcloud.com/bottome/i-love-dance"]http://soundcloud.com/bottome/i-love-dance[/url]

:)

[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial]Foam quickly kills the note and cuts out any unwanted overtones. Leo Fender used it on all his basses from the beginning, from Precisions to Stingrays, but I've mainly seen foam used in the studio. When you kill the note the powerful EQ on the desk can shape the note into anything you want. [/font][/color]

[color=#222222][font=Arial]Foam doesn't work for me in a live situation. If you need a dead, lifeless thud then OK, but I need life and sustain in the notes. Playing technique is better these days and to me muting using your fingers and hand is a better way of managing the notes.[/font][/color][/size]

Edited by chris_b

Agree about technique.

Traditionally engrs needed a sound with no overtones or any ringing notes through poor technique so took that out of the equation by killing it with a foam mute.
It did also bring into play a whole new sound which was then pursued and sought after.

I call this the classic Hollywood film score and in itself is a great sound to have to call on but people emulate that now with a palm mute and they are unlikely to find
it useable as a general sound..and messing about with foam for this and that is a pain.

Recall a first session when the engr wanted to do this with my bass. I was not impressed

[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial]The differences: [/font][/color][/size][color=#222222][font=Arial][size=1][/size][/font][/color]
[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial] [/font][/color][/size][color=#222222][font=Arial][size=1][/size][/font][/color]
[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial]Too much foam under the strings in a live situation. At 1.45 the bass player tries to play a line which he screws up because the notes die instantly. It doesn't work and sounds awful to me.[/font][/color][/size][color=#222222][font=Arial][size=1][/size][/font][/color]
[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial] [/font][/color][/size][color=#222222][font=Arial][size=1][/size][/font][/color]
[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial][url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l64Bte5ygvM"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l64Bte5ygvM[/url][/font][/color][/size][color=#222222][font=Arial][size=1][/size][/font][/color]
[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial]This is the original, with foam. The same line at 1.56 sounds pretty good to me but this is in the studio where it works well. [/font][/color][/size][color=#222222][font=Arial][size=1][/size][/font][/color]
[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial][url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPJ-KnveLh8"][color="#800080"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPJ-KnveLh8[/color][/url][/font][/color][/size][color=#222222][font=Arial][size=1][/size][/font][/color]

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1320839866' post='1432040']
[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial]The differences: [/font][/color][/size]

[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial]Too much foam under the strings in a live situation. At 1.45 the bass player tries to play a line which he screws up because the notes die instantly. It doesn't work and sounds awful to me.[/font][/color][/size]

[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial][/font][/color][/size]

[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial]This is the original, with foam. The same line at 1.56 sounds pretty good to me but this is in the studio where it works well. [/font][/color][/size]

[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial][url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPJ-KnveLh8"][color=#800080]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPJ-KnveLh8[/color][/url][/font][/color][/size]

[/quote]

He also looks like a right tit, sloping around with that bass dragging off the floor, which is clearly making it harder for him to play the line. Why not just lift the strap, you daft twat.

yup that's foam under the bridge of my 63P with flatwound strings - just like the great James Jamerson had; this combination really brings out the funk.
sadly these stirngs are only a couple fo years old tho - I think I read that Jamerson had some that were on his bass for 17 years and were greased up nice for the funk

my early Stingray had foam mutes on it straight from the factory.
It has small flat springy plates with rubber mutes on, which you can adjust individually to deaden each string to the desired amount of muti-ness.
Sadly the rubber mutes perished a long time ago and i've never been bothered to replace them - I sometimes use palm muting though, but it can lead to wrist problems for me.

I read a while back on BC about someone cutting up old computer mouse mats to make replacement mutes for their Ray

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1320839866' post='1432040']
[font=Arial]The differences: [/font]

[font=Arial]Too much foam under the strings in a live situation. At 1.45 the bass player tries to play a line which he screws up because the notes die instantly. It doesn't work and sounds awful to me.[/font]
[/quote]
One thing I've noticed it it definitely sounds better when I play down the neck, the impact is slightly lost once you get further up the fretboard. Personally I don't have a problem with this guy's tone & I remember the clip when I saw it on Jools Holland's show. However, I do have a problem with his pickguard choice! Just goes to show we are all different :)

[quote name='BurritoBass' timestamp='1320852997' post='1432279']
One thing I've noticed it it definitely sounds better when I play down the neck, the impact is slightly lost once you get further up the fretboard. Personally I don't have a problem with this guy's tone & I remember the clip when I saw it on Jools Holland's show. However, I do have a problem with his pickguard choice! Just goes to show we are all different :)
[/quote]

I've got a problem with his hairstyle :)

[quote name='Martin E' timestamp='1320857329' post='1432377']
Apart from his looks etc. I think he sounds alright. He does seem to have half a mattress stuffed under there though...

Can you palm mute if you play finger style? Am I missing a trick here?
[/quote]
Personally I play with the ashtray cover on so I can't do that. Bill Wyman plays with his thumb so can easily palm mute.

[quote name='Bassnut62' timestamp='1320851814' post='1432262']
my early Stingray had foam mutes on it straight from the factory.
It has small flat springy plates with rubber mutes on, which you can adjust individually to deaden each string to the desired amount of muti-ness.
Sadly the rubber mutes perished a long time ago and i've never been bothered to replace them - I sometimes use palm muting though, but it can lead to wrist problems for me.

I read a while back on BC about someone cutting up old computer mouse mats to make replacement mutes for their Ray
[/quote]

That sounds like an excuse for me to post this!!! :)
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/101460-pre-eb-stingray-string-mutes-sorted/page__p__1136684__hl__stingray%20mutes__fromsearch__1#entry1136684"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/101460-pre-eb-stingray-string-mutes-sorted/page__p__1136684__hl__stingray%20mutes__fromsearch__1#entry1136684[/url]

As for technique failing thats just rubbish, as Jennifer says its both possible to be more subtle especially with a pre EB adjustable per string and tension setup and you can play right up the fretboard end whilst still muting at the same time too.

I use a '76 Precision for my Motown band, put the bridge cover on to use the rubber mutes and found it pushed the strings down so that the action was too low! Now foam UNDER the strings, there's an idea.

I've learned to play palm muted when I need to using index and thumb.

I thought the Staple bass player sound was fine too, strap way too long for me to play as well as he did.