Why become a member? ×

Pups

lushuk

Hi folks
I read with interest you guys changing the pups in p basses does it make lots of difference that would be unobtainable through eq?
Is the any good sound clips to compare the sound?
I have a 98 mia p bass to play classic rock and would like to keep it original looking at least is this possible?
And is it easy to change the pups, I would like a bit more thump/thud!
Thanks for reading
Eddy

[quote name='lushuk' post='163171' date='Mar 25 2008, 02:39 PM']Hi folks
I read with interest you guys changing the pups in p basses does it make lots of difference that would be unobtainable through eq?
I have a 98 mia p bass to play classic rock and would like to keep it original looking at least is this possible?
Thanks for reading
Eddy[/quote]

Yes, changing to a better make of pickup will help get a better sound. You just have to hope you make the right decision when buying a new make of pickup.
I would look at EQ on the amplifier as helping to shape the bass sound for the room you are in. If you have bad/mediocre pickups to start with, EQ'ing can make them sound worse!

Changed the pickups to Wizard Thumpers ( as recommended on this site ) on my recently Ebay acquired Squier Precision last night ( a relatively easy job with a soldering iron and screwdriver ) and at low level it sounds excellent with lots of definition and brightness ( must admit that I changed the strings as well to elite 90, 70, 50, 30's )

We have a gig on Sat night so I am looking forward to trying it out properly ( also bought a Geddy Lee Jazz two weeks ago that will be having it's first airing so I have an exciting night to look forward to )

I will post back with the outcome

Tony

[quote name='The Funk' post='163467' date='Mar 26 2008, 01:06 AM']There's also Bare Knuckle Pickups. Those and Wizards are highly recommended British custom pickup builders.[/quote]

Yeah I hear those bare knuckle pickups are supposed to be pretty damn good

[quote name='kevbass' post='163463' date='Mar 25 2008, 11:57 PM']I hear wizard pups are about midrange more so than thud, Seymour duncans are all about highs and lows, plenty of thud in them[/quote]

I dunno about the wizards being all midrange IMO my thumper puts out a belting amount of low end with realy growly (if thats the right term) midrange

but yeh +1 on Wizards, Andy can custom wind any of his Pups to your specs as well as rewind your existing pup.
God I sound like a salesman for him a bit don't I :)

[quote name='kevbass' post='164139' date='Mar 26 2008, 10:29 PM']Yeah I hear those bare knuckle pickups are supposed to be pretty damn good[/quote]

I've just had one installed in the bridge of a Fender Jazz 4-string. Once I get it back I'll be able to test it out. I have a feeling it'll sound immense.

You see, I would just say, "Whatever sounds best for Motown."

But I would have thought the vintage Fender pups I've got are a sensible choice as they're basically a reissue of what Jamerson used.

Getting the right tone is such a challenge. I think it just takes years of trying many basses and finding out what woods/electronics work right for you. That's unless you're happy with what you've got. Which I think I am. I'm thinking, screw ~£100 on pj pups, some Radial gizmo will probably do a lot more to warm up the tone. A Fender costs enough in the first place.

I think it's cool for a Warmoth build/custom bass, but doesn't make a lot of sense elsewhere.

[quote name='lushuk' post='163171' date='Mar 25 2008, 02:39 PM']And is it easy to change the pups, I would like a bit more thump/thud![/quote]

It's not too difficult really, you just need a soldering iron & a steady hand, pickups should be a straight swap. I also put something like a newspaper,old towell, etc over the bass itself incase of any little drops of molten solder, protecting the finish

I've tried the SD (SPB-3) Quarter Pounders & the (SPB-2) 'Hot' P-Bass pickups. :)

Settled on the SPB-1 Vintage model, with 45-105 flats on my Tokai - gives me plenty of thump & thud. :huh:

Though, will probably get a Wizard, when I next need another pickup due to all positive reviews

I've seen pup comparisons sites, [url="http://www.vial-family.ch/bass/"]this [/url]sort of thing. But have yet to see something for Precisions with a wide range of models. Do they just not exist? It's a shame, it makes for great reference and it will help a lot of people out.

If I ever play about with pups, I'll definitely record some samples.

I'll get that link on the wiki somehow.

I must admit that I am perfectly happy with the Fender stock pups on my two precisions. I wonder sometimes if it is 'fashionable' to change pups? Whatever you do always keep the originals should you sell the bass on.

BTW nick that is a slightly disturbing avatar. Mind you I suppose it gives you somewhere to keep your digestive biscuit between bites!

[quote name='lushuk' post='163171' date='Mar 25 2008, 02:39 PM']Hi folks
Thanks for reading
Eddy[/quote]

Eddy, you play classic rock (as do I) you've got a late 90's P-Bass (me too).
Stick with it.
If that's your setup in your avatar - that Trace rig has more than enough EQ tweakability to get the sound you want.
Don't waste your money.
As it happens, I'm changing the pickup on my P-Bass but only because it died.

Thanks for interest in the post, I think spider maybe right, its when you see loads of people changing pups I started to think I must be missing out :)
+My standard is not probably good enough to worry about it, so how is that sound achived in the sort of solo in "alright now" its like a thuddy sound (to me)
Thanks again

ps yes it is my set up on the right!

Edited by lushuk