Why become a member? ×

DI boxes... Who should provide them?

JimmySims

I recently did a recording as a favour for a friend in a very well stocked studio in North London. When I say very well stocked, I mean they had a massive SSL desk, 5 drawmer compressors, 2 telefunken U48s, a couple of 1176 compressors, and much much more outboard gear than I've seen in a lot of big studios.

I generally speaking bring a DI box (either an Avalon U5 or a Ridge Farms Gas Cooker) to record with, but on this occasion I hadn't, thinking that I'd just use something that was there... But they didn't have any... ANY DI's at all. Is it just me or is that a little odd? I'm certainly not claiming to be the most experienced bass player around, but I have been to a few studios before and have never encountered one without DIs. I've since been contacted by the producer and told that I should have supplied one and it's my responsibility.

What is your experience of this? Have I just been really lucky finding places that have got DI boxes?

[quote name='bobbass4k' timestamp='1320623454' post='1429196']
...they insisted I use their DI because they knew how to use it...
[/quote]

I am a gear head and tend to take everything that I can think of (I prefer to think of myself as being prepared) yet have never used my DI box. My experience is not huge, but the 2 studios and a handful of venues with house PA all preferred that I use their DI boxes. Seems to me that they may have been embarrassed and thought to blame you rather than to admit their mistake.

Edit: Of course there is no rule book of what studios must have, so maybe they genuinely think that DI boxes are not their concern. Bit stupid IMO as it makes them look unprofessional at best and at worst could mean that the recording session may be cancelled. Both are hardly likely to get repeat bookings.

Edited by SteveO

That sounds a bit mental to me...its usually a decent passive DI at worst, at that's in a good project-type (home) studio. There must have been some decent mic pre's there that would have been just as good?

I carry a Raven Labs box to most sessions, but rarely use it - there is usually something set up already that gets the job done..and there is never any time to sit around comparing DI boxes!

I'd expect them to have several DIs, something very very clean, something with some colour (a REDDI for instance), most of which should be so far outside of your average decent pro bassists viable price range as to seem a little gratuitous :)

Calling Rimskidog for his professional opinion of a serious studio having no DIs whatsoever....

Thanks for the feedback gents. I thought this was the case, but just wanted to double check that I'm not going crazy! Having told me that I was good to go at the end of the day and that he was "very happy" with what we'd done, he then called me the next day and asked me to come back free of charge to make up for the fact that I didn't bring a di box... All most unpleasant!

[quote name='JimmySims' timestamp='1320671567' post='1429680']
Thanks for the feedback gents. I thought this was the case, but just wanted to double check that I'm not going crazy! Having told me that I was good to go at the end of the day and that he was "very happy" with what we'd done, he then called me the next day and asked me to come back free of charge to make up for the fact that I didn't bring a di box... All most unpleasant!
[/quote]
I'd tell the guy to dissapear up his own bumhole

[quote name='JimmySims' timestamp='1320671567' post='1429680']
[/quote]

Name and shame!!!