Why become a member? ×

Got the bass bug

Bo0tsy

[font=Arial][size=3][color=#2f2f2f][font=Arial][size=3][color=#2f2f2f][font=Arial][size=3][color=#2f2f2f]Hi - I've been a BC member for a few months now, and am really enjoying the posts on this site. [/color][/size][/font][/color][/size][/font][/color][/size][/font]

[font=Arial][size=3][color=#2f2f2f][font=Arial][size=3][color=#2f2f2f][font=Arial][size=3][color=#2f2f2f]I'm a bass novice, but seriously got the bass-bug after being into funk, soul & jazz funk for years. I've always regretted not being able to play an instrument, so thought I'd throw myself into it before I reached forty, and my sons can [i]maybe[/i] grow up thinking they've got a cool dad![/color][/size][/font][/color][/size][/font][/color][/size][/font]

[font=Arial][size=3][color=#2f2f2f][font=Arial][size=3][color=#2f2f2f][font=Arial][size=3][color=#2f2f2f]Being a huge Parliament, Funkadelic, & Bootsy fan I managed to track down my dream bass, a Washburn Bootsy Collins Ltd Edition Space Bass ex demo model back in August and got it shipped over from Belgium. Being star shaped it's probably not the most straight forward bass to play on :) but has a monster tone (& looks).[/color][/size][/font][/color][/size][/font][/color][/size][/font]

[font=Arial][size=3][color=#2f2f2f][font=Arial][size=3][color=#2f2f2f][font=Arial][size=3][color=#2f2f2f]I don't play in a band (& have no plans to do so as I'm nowhere near good enough) so have just got myself a 15w Practise Bass Amp and a Q-Tron Envelope filter to add some quacks and squelch to my attempted playing. [/color][/size][/font][/color][/size][/font][/color][/size][/font]

[font=Arial][size=3][color=#2f2f2f][font=Arial][size=3][color=#2f2f2f][font=Arial][size=3][color=#2f2f2f]I am teaching myself (I recommend 'Bass Guitar for Dummies' if you're a beginner like me!), been practising various scales and chords, and am learning to read music both through notation and from bass tabs. Within a few months I've gone from not being able to play a single note to playing "reasonable" renditions of Herbie Hancock's Chameleon, Rick James' Superfreak, Aaron Neville's Hercules, and a couple of Gorillaz tracks (Feel Good Inc and Kidz With Gunz).... Hoping to move onto some slightly more complicated stuff, (maybe a bit of James Brown, Slave, Jamiroquai, Sly & The Family Stone and attempt some P-Funk grooves if I'm feeling brave).[/color][/size][/font][/color][/size][/font][/color][/size][/font]

[font=Arial][size=3][color=#2f2f2f][font=Arial][size=3][color=#2f2f2f][font=Arial][size=3][color=#2f2f2f]Anyway, enough of me waffling on inanely - just wanted to say hello - great forum.[/color][/size][/font][/color][/size][/font][/color][/size][/font]

Great work!

[size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#000000]'You have to get up and plant the seed and see if it grows, but you can't just wait around, you have to water it and take care of it.'[/color][/font][/size]
[b][size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#000000]- Bootsy Collins[/color][/font][/size][/b]

[quote name='Bo0tsy' timestamp='1320406399' post='1426355']
[font=Arial][size=3][color=#2f2f2f][font=Arial][size=3][color=#2f2f2f][font=Arial][size=3][color=#2f2f2f]...I am teaching myself (I recommend 'Bass Guitar for Dummies' if you're a beginner like me!)...[/color][/size][/font][/color][/size][/font][/color][/size][/font]
[/quote]

I recommend that book even if you arent a beginner, it's helped me loads and i've been playing for over 4 years.

Liam

Welcome Bootsy.

Lots of good advice already given above. Just enjoy your bass playing. Go wherever it takes you.

The site is an enormous wealth of knowledge, kept current by its population. If you are so inclined, read everything you can find on here, and learn about the wider subject from 'those who went before us'!

(and be careful with the spikes on that bass!)

RK