Why become a member? ×

Key for "Miserable" (Smiths)?

solo4652

Folks,

I need to learn "Heaven knows I'm miserable" by The Smiths and I'm very confused.

Looking it up on the web, the guitar chords start with F# but with capo on 2nd fret. This suggests that the "true" key is E, doesn't it?

However, when I play the roots for the song in key of Emaj, it all sounds wrong, whereas key of F sounds fine. A very careful look at the YouTube video sugegsts to me that the bassist is playing in F, but who knows how his bass is tuned.

Can somebody please tell me what key this song is actually in, please?

Steve

[quote name='Monckyman' timestamp='1320361225' post='1426014']
Lo Steve. Tis F#. with the main loop starting on F#>Eflat>G#>F#>B>C#
[/quote]

Oh dear - I've lost the plot here. Please bear with me if I'm missing something obvious here, which I'm sure I am.

Just sticking with roots for now, I've tried the F# progression and it just doesn't sound right to me. Transposing down 2 semi-tones to E gives E C# F# A B and this sounds OK. It also links-in with what the guitarist is saying to me:

[color="#000000"]"Miserable is very scalic, if you know E major then you'll have it. Actually its F#, cos the guitar uses a capo... anyway it's a satisfying bassline, very melodic."[/color]

[color="#000000"]I'm confused. Please will somebody put me out of my misery. :)[/color]

Steve

Folks,

I think I've unknotted my knickers and finally understood what's happening.

I've just played the full bassline in F# and it's fine - just as Monckyman said. Re-reading my guitarist friend's email, perhaps he meant "play the [i]shape[/i] of E major (with capo on 2nd fret)" - which then means you're actually playing F#. Flaming guitarists and capos - I thought I'd taught myself this lesson a long time ago. Obviously not. [url="http://www.free-emoticons.co.uk/getcode.php?dir=Embarrassed/&image=embarrassed016.gif"][/url]

Apologies for the confusion,

Steve

Andy (Rourke) played his bass a tone up (F#) back in the day. So the opening F# note is on the 2nd fret of the D string, if that makes sense?

I play with a Smiths tribute and take two basses out with me, one tuned a tone up, for this and most of the other older songs and one tuned in standard tuning.

"miserable" is one hell of a bassline! The double stop chords towards the end of each verse are awesome. (the "why do I give valuable time" section etc)

Edited by Bobby K

[quote name='Monckyman' timestamp='1320596923' post='1428769']
Wish I had your job!
:)
You doing any gigs in Manch?
[/quote]
Yeah, as I always say, it's a privilege to play these songs!We're on tour at the moment and play The Ritz in Manchester on 26th of this month, doing the whole of the QUEEN IS DEAD album, as well as a set of other Smiths stuff.

[quote name='Bobby K' timestamp='1320592923' post='1428679']
Andy (Rourke) played his bass a tone up (F#) back in the day. So the opening F# note is on the 2nd fret of the D string, if that makes sense?

I play with a Smiths tribute and take two basses out with me, one tuned a tone up, for this and most of the other older songs and one tuned in standard tuning.

"miserable" is one hell of a bassline! The double stop chords towards the end of each verse are awesome. (the "why do I give valuable time" section etc)
[/quote]

Aha! It's all falling into place now. Knowing that the bass is retuned a tone up solves the riddle. Thanks for putting me out of my misery.

I have a week to learn this bassline. It'll be a bit of a change from the pub-rock stuff I've been playing - it's even got chords in it! Blimey. Wish me luck.

Edited by solo4652

Give me a shout if you need a hand with it.

I did used to play it in standard tuning before I found out about the tone up thing. It can be done but is probably a bit
Easier in the F# tuning. Medium gauge strings make tuning up a tone a lot easier, as there is less tension.