Why become a member? ×

EBS Reidmar

JakeBrownBass

Gig report!

Reidmar + Neo 210

Played with it on Wednesday and last night. First and foremost, it kicks major ass! Plenty of volume on tap and incredibly clear and punchy. I have used the Pro 210 with this amp and there is a subtle difference at full pelt. The Neo is a bit more barky in tone. Definately a bit more mid strength compared to the Pro cab. Even my drummer noticed! Acoustically this cab is a bit strange. It's very directional. When you stand to the side of it it sounds quite quiet, but when you stand infront of it it really slaps you in the face! I am DI'd through the FOH these days so I don't need this rig to fill the room, but I did give it the beans when the PA was off. It is a little bit too thin to do that and I am sure a 212 or 115 can below would sort that.

I could crank up the Reidmar a couple more notches higher with the Neo 210, but I noticed a bit of clipping. Haven't been able to put my finger on it yet as the speakers aren't moving frantically even at that high volume. Not sure if the amp is doing that or the cab, but I don't get that problem using my other cabs. I'll keep my eye on that.

Schizznit, did you stand the 210 on its side to create more height? I wonder if that has any bearing on the directional issue. I know I stand my Classic 112 on its side to get more height.

The clipping is a bit odd. The Reidmar would had been pushing out 250w into the 4 ohms Neo 210 but by the sounds of it you were not anywhere near max volume of the Reidmar so a little odd. Was it an active bass at all?

[quote name='Linus27' timestamp='1329668325' post='1545550']
Schizznit, did you stand the 210 on its side to create more height? I wonder if that has any bearing on the directional issue. I know I stand my Classic 112 on its side to get more height.

The clipping is a bit odd. The Reidmar would had been pushing out 250w into the 4 ohms Neo 210 but by the sounds of it you were not anywhere near max volume of the Reidmar so a little odd. Was it an active bass at all?
[/quote]

I do stand the cab on it's side or on top of a flight case.

I was using the Lakland, but I use it passive mode for this band. It was clipping using either passive or active in fact. I used my HD350 head last night and it was fine...no clipping at all at the same volume.

I've tried one last weekend and came out of the store with the Neo 110 i've tried it with and am now putting both my Rumble cabs for sale to go and get the Reidmar and probably a Neo 112... It really sounds good and loud. Those 250W are not "digital watts", it held its ground AB'd with my shuttle 9.0. I still don't know wich head i'll end up with because i really like the clarity of the GB and i always am a bit sceptical about chinese made stuff (reidmar says made in china...) but i'll need to use both heads live to see wich suits me best.

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1329840053' post='1548293']
I've tried one last weekend and came out of the store with the Neo 110 i've tried it with and am now putting both my Rumble cabs for sale to go and get the Reidmar and probably a Neo 112... It really sounds good and loud. Those 250W are not "digital watts", it held its ground AB'd with my shuttle 9.0. I still don't know wich head i'll end up with because i really like the clarity of the GB and i always am a bit sceptical about chinese made stuff (reidmar says made in china...) but i'll need to use both heads live to see wich suits me best.
[/quote]

Don't worry about where an amp like this is made, as long as it has been inspected and checked properly. For the price, its good value.

FYI - the Genz amps are made in their factory in Taiwan and inspected in the USA. I've never heard many issues with the Streamliner/Shuttle amps which is a good sign.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1329843425' post='1548368']
Don't worry about where an amp like this is made, as long as it has been inspected and checked properly. For the price, its good value.

FYI - the Genz amps are made in their factory in Taiwan and inspected in the USA. I've never heard many issues with the Streamliner/Shuttle amps which is a good sign.
[/quote]

Sure, i see your point but when i had my Promethean the main thing that made me pass it on was to take off the lid of both the Promethean and the Shuttle and take a look inside. The GB was very well put together and the components looked good as the Promethean just looked cheap with lots of bended componentes and plastic knobs and the nut on the input jack hadn't been properlly screwed! I want to believe that i'll find the same QC on the reidmar that i've fund on the shuttle but i need to see to believe!

Cheers

Out of all the amps i've read about over the past few years it seems to me the Streamliner had the most issues. I know of at least 4 that were faulty. I expect this was just teething troubles but i can name any other brand off the top of my head......oh wait, then there was Ashdown ;-)

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1329910848' post='1549425']
Lets hope so. Funny enough i was thinking of putting my F1 up for a Streamliner trade but came here to see what all the fuss was about (thanks Michael ;-) and now not so sure.
[/quote]

Dave, you will love the Reidmar. I think its right up your street. Get your arse to mine any time you like and you are welcome to have a play through it, a cup of tea and maybe a slice of cake :)

[quote name='Linus27' timestamp='1329910990' post='1549435']
Dave, you will love the Reidmar. I think its right up your street. Get your arse to mine any time you like and you are welcome to have a play through it, a cup of tea and maybe a slice of cake :)
[/quote]

Cheers Michael but i feel ill need to use it in a live situation to get a feel for it, especially with my cab being quite coloured.

Gareth. That is crazy although i guess they have been around for quite a while.

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1329911279' post='1549450']
Cheers Michael but i feel ill need to use it in a live situation to get a feel for it, especially with my cab being quite coloured.

Gareth. That is crazy although i guess they have been around for quite a while.
[/quote]

Yeah thats a very good point Dave. Maybe after my gigs in March you can borrow it to try out.

[quote name='nottswarwick' timestamp='1330003749' post='1551191']
so, who has gigged this little set up with a band with a loud ish onstage sound? I mean the head and 2of the classic 12 cabs?
[/quote]

I gigged on Saturday with the CL112 & CL110.

No pa support, large room with a stupidly loud drummer. Was running synth & bass through it.

The gain was just below 12 o'clock, master about 10 o'clock. Easily more than enough volume coming from this thing.

This was in a 9 piece band with drums, percussion, guitarist, keys player, singer & horn section.

I get more astounded by this amp every time i use it, it's incredible!

[quote name='JakeBrownBass' timestamp='1330004163' post='1551210']
I gigged on Saturday with the CL112 & CL110.

No pa support, large room with a stupidly loud drummer. Was running synth & bass through it.

The gain was just below 12 o'clock, master about 10 o'clock. Easily more than enough volume coming from this thing.

This was in a 9 piece band with drums, percussion, guitarist, keys player, singer & horn section.

I get more astounded by this amp every time i use it, it's incredible!
[/quote]

If the Reidmar which is only 250 watts has this amount of output, it makes me wonder if other EBS amps are as equally as powerful. The Classic 450 puts out 400 watts at 4 ohms which does not really sound much compared to a lot of other amps but maybe it is super loud when running through something like the Classic 410 or Classic 212. Likewise, I wonder if the TH660 which is pumping out 400 / 460 watts at 4 ohhms is as equally loud

The reason I mention this is in the future, I may require a loud rig, something that kicks outs say 600 - 800 watts. I was looking at a single 410 or 212 also if possible. I would like to stick with EBS but on paper with a single cab, cant offer this apart from the Fafner II. However, perhaps they can if their figures are more accurate and believeable over other manufactuers especially if the Reidmar is anything to go by.

I have to say that I like hand wired amps...and am happy to pay the premium for that.
Both my amps are superb internally and I have had one problem in 20 years..and that was a accident not a faulty component.
It cost £35 to fix and the tech..a retired designer, really rated the internals if not the acutual design stage of the pre.
The designer in him said he would have done it differently. Was happy with that comment as that is design semantics as far as I am concerned..???
This reliability greatly pleases me..as does the sheer quality of the sound.
I accept the modern amp should not be shoddy sound-wise even if it is a pig for a tech to work on
but I can see where that extra money in components might benefit.as the amp sounds even better really pushed.
Most amps run out of puff, I find, and certainly one or two of the class D types I've borrowed.
It is like cars that do 150mph.....getting there is not the problem... eventually...but the key is how you get there.
Same with amps, IMO. they will push up 3-4-500watts but how does the sound manage that when running hard.
I am also a player who needs that headroom as I am a very light player.

I don't think 250w will work for me..plus I have 2 great amps anyway, but I am watching this thread with interest and
maybe some months down the line will want to see how this has all panned out.
I think EBS augur well, as they have been known for using quality parts in previous amps... so..????

plus I want to get another couple of 12" cabs. Not concerned whether Neo or not if the cab maxes out at 40 odd lbs

[quote name='Linus27' timestamp='1330005288' post='1551246']
If the Reidmar which is only 250 watts has this amount of output, it makes me wonder if other EBS amps are as equally as powerful. The Classic 450 puts out 400 watts at 4 ohms which does not really sound much compared to a lot of other amps but maybe it is super loud when running through something like the Classic 410 or Classic 212. Likewise, I wonder if the TH660 which is pumping out 400 / 460 watts at 4 ohhms is as equally loud

The reason I mention this is in the future, I may require a loud rig, something that kicks outs say 600 - 800 watts. I was looking at a single 410 or 212 also if possible. I would like to stick with EBS but on paper with a single cab, cant offer this apart from the Fafner II. However, perhaps they can if their figures are more accurate and believeable over other manufactuers especially if the Reidmar is anything to go by.
[/quote]

I've had to do this for my bass monitor on large stages. I have 550w into 4 ohms and 2x210 cabs. Going 2x210 is an expensive way to replicate a 410 type rig but works great for me.
I also use 2x112 but this isn't my preferred number one rig.
I would go to 610..but the number of times I would run it..and could carry it, makes it not a practical proposal atm,..unless I change my car.

One Reidmar here too for two months now,like it a lot.Been playing EBS for 20 years now and I play for EBS here in Finland.Very cool and loud little thing.

I have tried every EBS cab with Reidmar and they all sound very good but I like 410 neo best but it's too big for smaler gigs.On sunday I'm going to try Barefaced cabs.

yeah....and I'm very sorry for my bad english,just trying to learn.