Why become a member? ×

GAS - EBMM 25th HSS 4 string, quilted with maple fingerboard

mr zed

[quote name='swanbrook' timestamp='1320272836' post='1424797']
Have to say they are a pretty amazing bass. If you get the chance try the HH too before you buy. I never spent much time on the neck PU. However others love it, just worth checking them both out if you can
[/quote]

Hi Swanbrook - thanks for the advice - much appreciated :)

I must admit i've not had a chance to try an HH but i've always fancied the flexibility that either the HSS or an HH seem to offer. I currently own a Stingray 4H and a Fender Jazz American Deluxe. I'm always torn between which one to take with me on a gig as I love the sounds that both give. One bass to do both would be my ideal.

Edited by mr zed

The 25th HSS is a very nice and versatile bass, I loved mine. To be honest with all the pickup combinations at your disposal you'd find it hard to get a bad sound out f it, both in passive or active mode.Try every pickup solo and it's like having lots of basses in one instrument. My only negative point on the 25th was its weight, mine was 10.8lbs which you'd feel it when you'd be playing a long set standing up, which is a shame because playing it in a sitting position was a real pleasure.

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' timestamp='1320302808' post='1424950']
The 25th HSS is a very nice and versatile bass, I loved mine. To be honest with all the pickup combinations at your disposal you'd find it hard to get a bad sound out f it, both in passive or active mode.Try every pickup solo and it's like having lots of basses in one instrument. My only negative point on the 25th was its weight, mine was 10.8lbs which you'd feel it when you'd be playing a long set standing up, which is a shame because playing it in a sitting position was a real pleasure.
[/quote]

Thanks for this. My existing 4 string basses (jazz deluxe & stingray 4H) are very light and well balanced and are a real pleasure to play on a long set (especially the Jazz). My main bass for a few years before I got hold of these 2 was a Yamaha TRB5PII which is heavy by comparison. Beautiful bass though with a tone to die for and the build quality is rock solid. This bass by necessity should only be used with a good quality wide strap and that really helps the weight to disappear - in fact you feel the weight more when taking it off and putting it on its stand. I suppose what i'm trying to say is that it's all about compromise and making the bass work for you. If weight is the only negative factor then it's something I can put up with. That said - none of us are getting any younger.... :)

I could never get a jazz tone out of my HSS it can do a real nice p bass tone but not a jazz. The HH has the bridge in the stingray sweet spot the HSS is closer to the bridge so doesn't really give you a stingray tone.

In saying that the tones it does have are pretty damn cool, just if you get the chance to play them both do before you buy one.

The only MM that can do the jazz tone is the Big Al SSS (& maybe the Stingray HH with the 5way switch).
The 25th/Reflex HH has a nice p bass tone, too (neck pickup in series mode). Still, even with only the two inner coils of the two humbuckers, nothing jazz bass like.
And - of course - it has the stingray & the sterling tone, flavoured with a fat though elegant charakter and a long sustain a standard stingray does not have. (maybe a 30th anniv. mahagony ray sounds that kind , too?)
There are occasions I want more kick than sustain and prefer the ray over the reflex.