Why become a member? ×

Home Practicing

acidbass

Hello all,

Basically, I've been using my Hartke combo with a pair of headphones to practice quietly at my house for the last year or so. However, the combo is quite bulky for me to have in the living room at all times, so I'm looking for a portable replacement.

What do you guys use? I could play the bass unplugged obviously, but I like the idea of wearing headphones for a bit more volume.

So...any suggestions?

Cheers in advance,

Danny

[quote name='obbm' post='16428' date='Jun 12 2007, 07:22 PM']Soundcraft Spirit Notepad Mixer.
Headphones.
PC connected to music library.[/quote]

All of the above but just recently i got a Behringer XENYX mixer for about £29 to give me a better level into my PC and its smaller than my Spirit mixer. On the PC i use the Ampeg amp simulator that also allows you to play (and speed up/slowdown) MP3's.
I also have a Behringer Bass V-amp and thats quite handy as it also has a stereo line in with level control. and dead cheap now.

I sometimes use my Bass Pod XT; very often I'll just practise acoustically (sometimes on my six string but normally on my electro-acoustic).

For my purposes, the electro-acoustic (Tanglewood Odyssey) was a fantastic investment because of its value as a practise tool.

Wulf

Acid, I like you mostly practice thru earphones and, my kit has developed to.....

1. Boss Micro br (all round top bit of kit but can loop /slow/ play MP3s /Ooooh and has effects built in ......etc)

2. The Box MA205 2x5 active monitor (which also doubles as the drum machine speaker when jamming plugged in)

3. Bose Tri port in-ear fones when HWMBO is at home!

All very versatlie and expandable/ multi use kit that is much more 'uausble' than the Roland Cube 30 its replaced !

[quote name='Tinman' post='16754' date='Jun 13 2007, 11:24 AM']I use the recently acquired Tascam MP-GT1. It's been a godsend.[/quote]

I'm waiting for them to make a Bass version. It's been rumoured they are...

If they don't come up with one by Christmas, then I'll be getting the Boss Micro BR instead. Hmmm, might just get that one anyway just for the recording functions.

Currently, I use my Peavey Max 126 with headphones for practicing with. I plug my MP3 player or PC into the CD in. (using the PC I can slow down and loop passages)

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='16675' date='Jun 13 2007, 09:04 AM']All of the above but just recently i got a Behringer XENYX mixer for about £29 to give me a better level into my PC and its smaller than my Spirit mixer. On the PC i use the Ampeg amp simulator that also allows you to play (and speed up/slowdown) MP3's.
I also have a Behringer Bass V-amp and thats quite handy as it also has a stereo line in with level control. and dead cheap now.[/quote]

what's this ampeg simulator? it's the speeding up/slowing down mp3s that i'd be interested in

[quote name='john_the_bass' post='16934' date='Jun 13 2007, 03:09 PM']what's this ampeg simulator? it's the speeding up/slowing down mp3s that i'd be interested in[/quote]

It's the [url="http://www.ampegsvx.com/prod-AM.php"]Ampeg SVX[/url]

$399 for the Ampeg simulator? Did I read that right? OUCH!!!

I use a Line6 Guitarport at home with the bass expansion pack, it has an Ampeg model amongst others with a huge choice of cabs and effects. I can either plug headphones into the back of the guitarport or route it through an external amp.

The guitarport's software also allows the mixing in of CD / MP3 etc music with looping and slowdown.

Russ.

Edited by Painless

[quote name='acidbass' post='16424' date='Jun 12 2007, 07:18 PM']Hello all,

Basically, I've been using my Hartke combo with a pair of headphones to practice quietly at my house for the last year or so. However, the combo is quite bulky for me to have in the living room at all times, so I'm looking for a portable replacement.

What do you guys use? I could play the bass unplugged obviously, but I like the idea of wearing headphones for a bit more volume.

So...any suggestions?

Cheers in advance,

Danny[/quote]

You need the pocket-rockit headphone hamp. 100% portable as it plugs into the instrument, aux input to put your MP3 into it battery powered off you go. I absolutely love it.

I have one of those tiny Nobels personal amps - It is attached to my strap and weighs bugger all. Sounds pretty good too with decent in-ears. The only problem is the on/off switch is not recessed so it normally switches itself on and buggers the battery. I think I will cut off the potruding stem of the switch when I get home actually, cheers for reminding me!!

ped

[quote name='Paul Cooke' post='18590' date='Jun 15 2007, 10:12 PM']the only thing wrong with the B2 and B2.1U is that they lack an aux input for running a CD/MP3 player into.[/quote]

That is exactly my criticism to them. In other hand the Behringer Vamp has the line in option and works a treat.

I use an old Korg Pandora PX3B that I've owned for about 7 years. It's an amazing tool. I have 3 sets of rechargeable 900ma AAA batteries, so it costs very little to run. IT has a stereo/headphone out and aux in, so I can play along to MP3 using my Creative Zen Jukebox or laptop.

I've recorded using it and can get a decent sound - nice and fat and lots of character.

I use a Korg Pandora too - it's the PX4B and also have sets of AAA batteries on charge at all times. The beauty of the Pandora is the fact that it's an effects board and drum machine in your pocket. I take this to work with me so I can play during my lunchbreak. It is the best gadget I have ever bought and wouldn't be without it - I use it everyday and have recorded and gigged with it and find that it is superb. Can't recommend them highly enough. The Aux In socket is useful too, you can run your iPod or whatever into it so you can jam along.

It's pretty robust and can be clipped on to your strap thoughmy clip is long gone. It's the best £99 you can spend. I've had mine over 2 years and would replace immediatelyif something nasty happend to it.