Why become a member? ×

Bass or Amp - Where should my money go?

kristinaelias

Thanks for all the advice! I have been into a couple of shops and twiddled - just not plugged into anything - and have decided that 'Clarence' ticks all my boxes in terms of neck profile and radius, balances nicely (sadly Jazzs didn't, but I slightly preferrred the narrower nut width of the Jazz, not that the Precisions width was a problem at all), etc, etc, and of course looks. Unless Fender/Squire start doing a version of one of the glitzy, sparkly precisions Adam Clayton played at Glastonbury this year I don't think I'm going to be swayed by anything else. If the p/up does turn out to be crappy (though I have to say I love the Duncan Designed p/ups on my Squire VM Jazzmaster, Jaguar ones were horrible though!) I'll just upgrade it to a Bare Knuckes, Lollar or something similar, possibly improving the circuitary as I go.

Thanks for the Ampeg suggestion, I've been doing lots of research into those as the thought of the valve preamp really appeals. My next question which should almost certainly be on the amp forum - sorry - is how small dare I go without getting lousy tone. The Ampeg B115T seems to get some bad press for having a hissy tweeter, would a B112 - no tweeter but keeps modelling selector switch, or even B110 or B108 be worth considering at all? Before you say it, yes I know these other models and the current B115 don't have the valve preamp anymore, but does anybody know why they dropped it? And, are the Fender Bassman amps, either the reissue or the TV range as good as they appear to be in the Youtube videos - anybody have any experience of them? I've seen a few on the second hand market going for virtually half price - should I be patient and wait to get one of those at a slightly more reasonable price? After all the tweed really would go with the 50s Butterscotch look, wouldn't it!

The Ampeg BA 108 is more than enough for home use. And, if you like Ampeg tone, it is a really nice amp. Just bear in mind that it`s not the most versatile sound out there. This didn`t put me off from buying one though. Paired with a Precision, well the best bass sound, in my opinion.