Why become a member? ×

BassDay UK 2011. 6th November - Manchester

BassBunny

This year at Band On The Wall on 6th November.
The schedule has now been published and all the details are here:
http://www.bassday.co.uk/index.html

Marcus Miller holding a Masterclass/Q&A.
Bernard Lackner.
Jah Wobble.
Phil Mann.
Pat Illingworth drumming for Marcus.
Scott Devine and Overwater's Chris May holding an Interactive discussion, "The Alchemy of Tone from Maker to Player."
Nigel Clutterbuck.
Hopefully Stevie will be bringing his "Most Wanted" band. these guys are awesome and have 2 of the most talented guitarists I have seen.
You could even win a 33% discount on your custom bass from ACG.
Some nice prizes as normal.
I was exchanging emails with Stevie Williams earlier this week and in his words:
"It's going great ... gonna be a very busy day. Tickets are selling fast ... I don't think there will be any on the door/on the day tickets left."

Well looks like I'm popping up from Lahndahn for the day - looking forward to seeing hearng some bass related stuff seeing as I've missed all the bashes etc this year - anyway it'll be great to see some of you there so do say hello if you spot me.

Cheers

Mike

Just back from an awesome show! My first Bass Day event. Some great talent all around among the attendees. Marcus Miller was amazing beyond my expectation! Was more than worth the money and effort spent just to have seen him live in all his glory!

I've worked with Pat Illingworth a lot over the years, he's just posted this clip on facebook, I'm sure he won't mind me sharing...
[url="http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Dxk-69XWzNSc&h=vAQElvC3VAQGi-Ws9OrSY2N1m1yky-hEBdi8roAEUlF6Crg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xk-69XWzNSc[/url]

Good on ya Pat!

A most enjoyable day and for the first time ever I got to see some of the acts. I enjoyed Nigel's stuff the rock section he did with a plectrum was immense.

Thanks to everyone that dropped by the stand. Thanks to Stevie for sorting it all out especially our demo space that was very much appreciated. Thanks to Dave from EAD and John from East UK for the great company. John's suicidal pre-amp display was excellent all day.

The man who is afraid to admit he was wrong is a fool. I am not that fool, I was wrong. Marcus Miller was very good, and well worth the wait from 1pm till he came on stage at 6:30pm. Taking lots of requests and joking with the very happy crowd. His bass playing was simply superlative (with great drumming from Pat Illingworth) Marcus even took up a challenge to play with a Marcus Miller Fender that a fan had brought in for him to sign, and he really spanked that bass. I hope that someone has videod it for the guy. He must have been beaming, watching Marcus play with that bass. But I will leave the details of his performance to those who know more about the guy.

Was Marcus worth the change of venue? Well I still say NO. But only because the place was just massively cramped and overcrowded. 2 full sized stands from Yamaha and Taurus Amps(who?) and 5 or 6 half or quarter size trade stands, most of which were up on the balcony overlooking the stage, and subsequently had to stop everytime anyone came on stage. I'll bet words were had with Steve Williams about the change of venue and what it meant for the traders. The one and only string stand had a very cramped area right next to the entrance and smaller than the average kitchen table, to lay out its meagre wares. With a corresponding reduction of stock it had only one type of flats and they were Elites! Needless to say I didnt buy them. (but i was saved a little later by Rotosound dude, Nigel Clutterbuck himself. He had nipped outside for a crafty snout when i caught up with him. I mentioned the trade stands lack of Rotosound Tru Bass nylons, that Jah Wobble had just been singing the praises of. Fortunately he just happened to have a set of the very same Tru Bass black nylon strings, that he produced from the back of his nearby parked 4x4 (A very nice Nissan Qashquai) and a personal promise that they would "last forever" I told him if they didnt that I'd be briging them along to next years bass day and would expect an exchange. :)

The two full sized stands were Taurus and Yamaha. The taurus stand seemed to constantly (and i mean constantly) have the same two guys playing on and on for the entire day, with the very ocassional 'guest allowed in. The Mayones 'stand' consisted of two lonely basses and stands next to Taurus. I never saw either of them played.[i] (The aluminium welding on the Taurus lighting stands was of a shocking standard. I think some of them must have thought I was mad, after they caught me leaning in to closely inspect the welds on the framework that was at the back and sides of the stand. Either that or they thought I was a thief awaiting a chance to snaffle something ?)[/i] I did however see lots of people who had brought bases to try out on the amps and cabs that last year were in abundance, and this year were very few and far between. Certainly no one was getting a chance to plug in to the Taurus amps. No Mark bass stand, no Matamp stand, no Orange stand etc etc.All of whom were there last year Indeed the space to try anything out was just not there. Upstairs they had set up a sorry excuse for a ' try out room' on the fire escape stairs at the end. People (person) had to sit on stone steps and give it a go with a cold backside. Back downstairs only Yamaha had anything like a proper space to try out bases and therefore they was a constant crush around the stand, where anyone who was lucky enough to get a go had an instant audience of punters standing 12 inches away from there whilst they oggled the Yamaha BB range. [i](I heard the Yamaha dude regailing a punter about how he and Billy Sheehan went for a curry in Glasgow and Billy ate the hottest curry in the house and didnt break a sweat) :) [/i] The stand next to them in the corner (Promenade music ?) had brought quite few basses but nowhere to try them, unless you count a chair behind the counter crushed into a corner after fighting your way past the people at the sting stand. I spoke to three people who had trade stands and belive me none were happy about the change. They can speak up for themselves if they wish. Of course along with the lack of space went hundreds of people milling around everywhere.

I dont wish to end on a low note, so back to the guest musicians. Nigel Clutterbucks was brilliant. Not too much of his speed slap and telling several tall tales, which the audience seemed to heartily enjoy. The guy can really play with a groove if he wants to. Talking of playing with a groove there was next up the one and only Mr Jah Wobble and his didgeridoo playing drummer (forgot his name sorry) Jah was on for less than an hour, which was a crime against humanity in my opinion. Wobble told the story of his picking up a bass and how he came up with his greatest bass lines by "playing with shapes" on the fretboard (Public Image. Poptones, etc) He gave us his thoughts on guitar players "[i]nuisances"[/i] and drummers were [i]"borderline austistic" [/i]and the packed crowd laughed along with him. But of course we had all come along to see him play and play he did. booming out some hypnotic bass lines and showing us how he would compose his own lines or jams. His playing was simply [i]awsome,[/i] there was just not enough of it.! He broke an amplifier (Ashdown. pah!) and said that he did that all the time, and while that was being fixed he told us that Ampeg was now rubbish, and we belived him. His bass "I stole this from a Dutch man twenty five years ago" was an Ovation Magnum (see pic below)

He was a good talker and I belive he could have been a comedian, he definately connected with the crowd. Even when he started getting cosmic about frequncies and the beat and how they affected humans. We could have stood there and listened all day. Maybe he will be there next year. Well he does now live in Manchester so why not ? :)

I realise that Steve Williams wanted to get a personal hero for his bass day, but the move to the cramped venue was a bad one. Please go back to the music school next year Steve, no matter who you cant get on the date. I dont know what feedback you got. People are loath to be blunt with someone to their face especially after they have made such an effort to get something right. But nobody i spoke to was happy about the move, no matter how much they enjoyed Marcus Miller. I realise after the 2010 bass day with three huge bass names, that there must have been a temptation to try and keep that very high standard up, and the lack of any big names for the October date must have been frustrating. But to sacrifice the trade stands and squeeze people in to a much smaller space where they have no chance to try out bass kit was wrong. Steve, the Band on the Wall was just too small. I do not accept the argument that Manchester bass day is more of a gig and now the London show is a regular that is the place to go to try out bass gear. In my personal opinion the music school venue enabled a perfect mixture of music, lecture talks and trade stands to display and try out bass kit. Not everyone can get to the London bass show. I would love to go but I cant afford over £150 train tickets or even £80 on petrol. and why should I have to travel over 200 miles anyway? Last yearsManchester bass day was in the perfect place with a good mix of music and trade stands with plenty of space to try out goods. The trade stands should be put before the artists. Lets face it, if we want to see them we can go to a gig anytime, but we can not go to a well put together spacious bass trade fair, where we can try out gear every week can we ?

Anyway after saying all that, I would still like to thank Steve for bringing Marcus Miller over and changing my mind for me about him. I would especially like to thank Steve for getting Jah Wobble there, he would have been worth the £25 on his own, had he played and chatted for 2 hours. (can you get him again next year, being as he is a local ?)

[center][u]Ovation Magnum[/u][/center]

Edited by daz

Our sorry excuse of a try out room worked very well. We got to demo more basses/pre-amp and cabs than I have ever managed at Bassday. It was quiet so we could explain and answer questions without shouting and people could actually hear what they were playing. They also had a degree of privacy to play a bass without an audience, a lot of people do not like to play in front of a pile of bass players. Had you tired it maybe you would have seen it in a different light.
Cheers
Alan

[quote name='skelf' timestamp='1320683904' post='1429950']
Our sorry excuse of a try out room worked very well. We got to demo more basses/pre-amp and cabs than I have ever managed at Bassday. It was quiet so we could explain and answer questions without shouting and people could actually hear what they were playing. They also had a degree of privacy to play a bass without an audience, a lot of people do not like to play in front of a pile of bass players. Had you tired it maybe you would have seen it in a different light.
Cheers
Alan
[/quote]

I would have loved to but both times i went upstairs i could barely move to the end where the interesting stuff was and when i got there, there was somone already playing something and some one else either wating or crawling over the top of him to get to a higher up step, i couldnt really see. I am embaressed to say that when I got there I didnt have any idea who was a punter or trader, for ACG so couldnt actually ask anyone. i felt it was too packed to just stand there and earwig till i could tell who was who. The people I recognized up there were Dave from EAD whose wonderful cabs I had already heard and knew about (even the new 112's) and John East, who i chatted to last year and didnt actually appear to have anything that new I could 'try' and i was painfully aware of people behind me who seemed to want to get a close look at his pre amps so I felt I had to move away again.

I was the bald guy with glasses that was on the stand all day. I am sure Dave or John would have pointed me out. I did spend a lot of the day in the stair well talking to people so possible I was not there when you were.But fair point I don't have any ACG t-shirts so looked like everyone else. I did however manage to talk to loads of people so I was possible to find.

[quote name='daz' timestamp='1320690125' post='1430089']
...I am embaressed to say that when I got there I didnt have any idea who was a punter or trader, for ACG so couldnt actually ask anyone.
[/quote]
"Excuse me... do you know who I can talk to about these basses?"

Not too difficult to say, surely? In fact, I heard it said many times yesterday (occasionally to me), and people were always directed to Alan.

It was my first time at BassDayUK. I came down by train as it was cheaper than driving and parking. I had few expectations - my main reason for attending was to see and hear Marcus Miller. I was not there for trade stands - especially as the main stand was my very good, helpful local music store in Morecambe of Promenade Music. It was good to have a quick chat with Dave and Gary from Promenade. I also say a quick hello to Chris May of Overwater, and then it turns out that Paul Everson is just down the road from where i live.

Anyway, I arrived just before Jah Wobble was on stage. He was great and a real laugh with it all. Very encouraging and stimulating. I was smirking about him saying how great Ashdown kit was and then it broke down during his demo.

But Marcus Miller is the main man, and was fantastic - and a big credit to Pat on drums. I had to leave to get trains straight after, but a great event from my perspective.

A big thank you from me to all the organisers, helpers, performers, trade stands, sound engineering, bar staff to make the event a success.

Edited by vsmith1

Absolutely awesome event and having been to every BassDay since 2006, (missed the first one), it ranks alongside the best IMHO. Having a venue with a resident in house PA and Sound Engineer was great. When Jah Wobble fritzed "the best amp in the world", and ended up swopping to Nigel's Eden 2x10 rig, the sound engineer managed to get his gut wrenching bass sound pretty quickly. Marcus was just awesome and genuinly entertaining.
I think the question of it moving back to ICMP, (or anywhere of that size), will rest with Stevie. He has been successfully running BassDay for 7 years now and he is a very clued up individual.
We do need to consider if the current economic climate is having an effect and also the London Show.
Whilst we can bemoan the fact that there was "No Mark bass stand, no Matamp stand, no Orange stand etc etc." even if there was room would they have been there? The industry is having a tough time and when retailers such as Bass Merchant are folding, then times are tough. Most of the industry is based "dahn sarf" and with Bass Gear moving that way it is obvious where they consider their future customers are. With a 2 day "trade heavy" show in London in what amounts to just under 4 months if you had to choose, as a retailer, distributor etc., where would you go? I know which I would choose. It was interesting that Nick Wells was at BassDay launching iBassmag and has been a staunch supporter whilst also organising the London Show.
It will be really interesting to see what happens next March.
When you consider the size of the BassChat community, it is a wonder that a BassFest in Birmingham, (probably the best location for everyone), has never happened. Ped, where are you?

[quote name='skelf' timestamp='1320683904' post='1429950']
Cheers
Alan
[/quote]

what basses did you had because a friend of mine tried one of yours and was enthousiastic about the result can you give us some pics please?

[quote name='skelf' timestamp='1320760085' post='1430911']
I spent a while talking to a guy from Greece so assuming that was he your friend. He played this bass.

www.acguitars.co.uk/Gallery/282/
[/quote]

and yes you r right that was my friend :) he said to me that this bass was top notch mate :)