Why become a member? ×

Suzi Q

Highfox

[quote name='Yoda' timestamp='1320259587' post='1424557']
Never been keen on any of her stuff apart from her first 3 singles (schoolboy crush)
48 Crash is my favourite and still cuts it with me today for pure energy!

I used to frequent a village pub years ago in east coast Essex. They had a cover band that played there every Tuesday night ('Pray') which was always a crowd puller from the surrounding countryside. Rumour has it (allegedly) that Suzi Q used to pop in on occasions...alas I was never there when she was (very early 80's). I'd have loved to have met her! Made a nice story back then...I've no idea whether it was actually true or not...perhaps just a little rumour put out to fill the pub... :)
[/quote]

Her ex (Len Tuckey) used to play in Maldon with Bill Legend and I believe, the bassplayer from Eddie and the hot-rods (The White Swan I think) Don't know if that's what you're thinking about. Think she'd turn up there occaisionally.

Met her a few times for various reasons over the years and she always comes across as a nice balanced individual who's not up her own backside. My mate Glenn took over her bass duties a while back when she was touring with a broken arm.

[quote name='leschirons' timestamp='1320354651' post='1425873']

Her ex (Len Tuckey) used to play in Maldon with Bill Legend and I believe, the bassplayer from Eddie and the hot-rods (The White Swan I think) Don't know if that's what you're thinking about. Think she'd turn up there occaisionally.

Met her a few times for various reasons over the years and she always comes across as a nice balanced individual who's not up her own backside. My mate Glenn took over her bass duties a while back when she was touring with a broken arm.
[/quote]

That actually does add up. The village pub I used to frequent was in Goldhanger (The Chequers), some 6-7 miles from Maldon. So if she/he/they lived nearby...etc, etc...not completely outside the realms of possibility.

[quote name='Yoda' timestamp='1320354924' post='1425880']

That actually does add up. The village pub I used to frequent was in Goldhanger (The Chequers), some 6-7 miles from Maldon. So if she/he/they lived nearby...etc, etc...not completely outside the realms of possibility.
[/quote]
Probably moved on by now but she used to live in Great Waltham (or Little Waltham) it was difficult to tell where one finished and the other started.

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1320338822' post='1425569']
She had a long article in G&B magazine a couple of months ago. That bass was her dad's & he gave it to her when she left the "Osmonds" type family group they had going to go pro. She still has it.

Meanwhile for comparison; the bass-playing skills of two of her contemporaries............
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffZXnWkbkgs&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PL344ABDF4BE375019[/media]

& Steve priest of Sweet with an [i]insane[/i] Rick tone thru a stack of Hiwatts.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3hWKV-fX3g[/media]
[/quote]

That Sweet clip sounds like he's running the bass in stereo but the sound man's forgot to mix in the feed from the neck pickup.

And as for Jim Lea, he's probably one of the finest bassists ever to be mentioned on this forum. Seriously.

Edited by Cosmo Valdemar

[quote name='Highfox' timestamp='1319891949' post='1419771']
Ok so I was a bit bored today and maybe spent too much time looking at old videos on youtube.. but
Whilst I always had a crush on Suzi Q in the 70's and loved her leather look :) .. seeing this maybe [i]impromptu[/i] bass solo from her back in 2009 makes me feel she never really gave a lot of love to her bass playing.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zXkRw49Cxo[/media]
[/quote]

That solo is truly epic. I'm noticing hints of Colin Grigson in the phrasing.
Honestly, probably the funniest thing I have seen in a long time, utter joy. Even the tone is hilarious, it sounds like broken bedsprings every time she does the slide up the neck. [i]And she keeps on doing it! [/i]
It's like watching your drunken aunt pick up your bass and attempt to play it.

I'm going to watch it again.

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1320445963' post='1427097']
And as for Jim Lea, he's probably one of the finest bassists ever to be mentioned on this forum. Seriously.

[/quote]

I just found this on Youtube - Slade - Live in Australia, at the Sydney showgrounds in 1972.

Looking at it now with a modern take on health & safety - what the crowd are doing on the stands is unbelievable - ah the good old days!

Jim Lea looks and sounds fantastic, and what a band...... top of my " they are all still alive, if only they would get back together for a last gig, before it's too late" list!

NB : sound not great - but it's a 40 year old TV clip.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QJ5pC_oq8o&feature=related[/media]

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1320332003' post='1425428']
Good God, I hate bass solo's even more now, which reminds me of a joke.
Guy taking a taxi from the airport on holiday hears some drums in the hills and asks the driver what they are, he replies "when drums stop, very bad". He hears the drums all holiday and every time he asks someone about it he gets the same reply. On his way back to the airport he gets the same taxi driver and says, "look I know if the drums stop it's really bad, but what exactly happens" the taxi driver replies "the Bass solo starts" :)

Mind you, I hate drum solo's as well, so I'm not going there for my holidays
[/quote]

Hope you don't mind, I've copied that and pasted it in another thread :-)