Why become a member? ×

Suzi Q

Highfox

Ok so I was a bit bored today and maybe spent too much time looking at old videos on youtube.. but
Whilst I always had a crush on Suzi Q in the 70's and loved her leather look :) .. seeing this maybe [i]impromptu[/i] bass solo from her back in 2009 makes me feel she never really gave a lot of love to her bass playing.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zXkRw49Cxo[/media]

And another thing!
It's really annoying when I tell someone I'm learning to play bass and they say 'Oh, like Suzi Quatro'.! :)

MB1. :)
Was gonna say most people do remember the first lady of bass (Suzi Q in leathers)... :) Then i got this image of Carol Kaye in leathers disputing that!...Frightening!

Edited by MB1

Never been keen on any of her stuff apart from her first 3 singles (schoolboy crush)
48 Crash is my favourite and still cuts it with me today for pure energy!

I used to frequent a village pub years ago in east coast Essex. They had a cover band that played there every Tuesday night ('Pray') which was always a crowd puller from the surrounding countryside. Rumour has it (allegedly) that Suzi Q used to pop in on occasions...alas I was never there when she was (very early 80's). I'd have loved to have met her! Made a nice story back then...I've no idea whether it was actually true or not...perhaps just a little rumour put out to fill the pub... :)

Edited by Yoda

I saw her in 2009 at Perth Harley Davidson bike rally and she stole the show that weekend IMO.
Sure she's not the greatest bass player in the world but she is an absolute showgirl and knows how to play an audience.
And she still looks good in leathers. Not bad for 50+

She completely filled the hall that night although i think it was nearly all guys :)

Dave

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' timestamp='1320273339' post='1424807']She don't look half bad these days - And she's playing a Status...

[IMG]http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l259/OutToPlayJazz/Suzi_Quatro_at_AIS_Arena_02.jpg[/IMG][/quote]

I thought she was a Status player these days too, but she was interviewed in Guitarist a couple of issues back and never mentioned them once, despite the article picturing her with all her basses their wasn't one to be seen.

All I can say is I wonder how many of us would get clapped and cheered if we did a solo - and if anyone ever said they were learning bass and reply was 'What - like Dr Dave' I'd be well happy.

Good luck to the lass - however thin we experts deem her talent to be. Maybe if a few more of us stopped skulking around in the shadows and got up front and performed then the general public might know a few more of us.

Good God, I hate bass solo's even more now, which reminds me of a joke.
Guy taking a taxi from the airport on holiday hears some drums in the hills and asks the driver what they are, he replies "when drums stop, very bad". He hears the drums all holiday and every time he asks someone about it he gets the same reply. On his way back to the airport he gets the same taxi driver and says, "look I know if the drums stop it's really bad, but what exactly happens" the taxi driver replies "the Bass solo starts" :)

Mind you, I hate drum solo's as well, so I'm not going there for my holidays

Edited by PaulWarning

[quote name='Dr.Dave' timestamp='1320331696' post='1425422']
All I can say is I wonder how many of us would get clapped and cheered if we did a solo - and if anyone ever said they were learning bass and reply was 'What - like Dr Dave' I'd be well happy.

Good luck to the lass - however thin we experts deem her talent to be. Maybe if a few more of us stopped skulking around in the shadows and got up front and performed then the general public might know a few more of us.
[/quote]

Ah yes, this too is a good point! :)

[quote name='Dr.Dave' timestamp='1320331696' post='1425422']

[/quote]

That's a very fair point and I entirely agree with the sentiment. Encouraging bedroom bassists to get out to their local pubs and clubs for a bit of live play is one thing, but getting all dewey-eyed over Suzi-Q's bass virtuosity as an example of what chart-topping popular music combos should aspire to is quite another.

Yes, the general public may know a few more of us but, on the basis of that video, would that be a good thing?

And, let's be brutally honest, could anyone except a petite blond lady dressed in tight black leather get away with such a starring role these days?

[quote name='wesfinn' timestamp='1320333278' post='1425454']
I used to play bass in a band with her son, she's a great player (this clip doesn't really show her bass skills very well) and she has the nicest all original 57 p bass I have ever played! If I could buy any bass it would probably be that one!
[/quote]
She had a long article in G&B magazine a couple of months ago. That bass was her dad's & he gave it to her when she left the "Osmonds" type family group they had going to go pro. She still has it.

Meanwhile for comparison; the bass-playing skills of two of her contemporaries............
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffZXnWkbkgs&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PL344ABDF4BE375019[/media]

& Steve priest of Sweet with an [i]insane[/i] Rick tone thru a stack of Hiwatts.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3hWKV-fX3g[/media]

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1320338822' post='1425569']
She had a long article in G&B magazine a couple of months ago. That bass was her dad's & he gave it to her when she left the "Osmonds" type family group they had going to go pro. She still has it.

Meanwhile for comparison; the bass-playing skills of two of her contemporaries............
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffZXnWkbkgs&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PL344ABDF4BE375019[/media]

& Steve priest of Sweet with an [i]insane[/i] Rick tone thru a stack of Hiwatts.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3hWKV-fX3g[/media]
[/quote]

When they lived in their old house it was hanging by a piece of string from the machine head on the side of the fire place! It is super light weight too!

I have a recollection from the 70s or it was maybe early 80s of Suzi giving away one of her basses to be auctioned for a TV charity event. It might have been the early days of children in need. Anyway, Suzi's ok with me. I was a teenager in the 70s when she was rampaging around in tight leather. Enough said!