Why become a member? ×

westfield b1000...replaces 79 fender!

iconic

Sold a focus to a local bass player, he has a fender p 79 but wanted to retire it for some of the rougher gigs, when the locals have too much cyder! :)

Bought a westfield b1000 for 99 quid new, fitted a bad ass bridge 'n some flats...and....now doesn't use the Fender now, even at the gigs where the punters don't throw things...he added the action was a tad high but this never bothered Mr Jamerson!

...strange but true...are these Scot's gems or was Mr Punter the winner of October's bull d'Ivoire award?

Edited by iconic

wow, only £75 new delivered...sunburst are cheapest! I thought it rude not too....my first project bass!?! I need something for the garage to noodle on that I won't cry over it it gets runover by a Focus :)

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Westfield-B1000-Electric-Bass-Guitar-SUNBURST-/150563432620?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item230e47a8ac"]http://www.ebay.co.u...=item230e47a8ac[/url]

...cheap enough for the 5th of November if it's unusable :)

Edited by iconic

Forget about brand names,to me they generally mean nothing.Honestly,how hard can it be to make a decent P bass ? There are several non Fender P basses that are just as giggable as an original,Westfield being one of them.
As a side note,i just bought a Stagg Tele type guitar at crack converters for £50,original price was about three times that,it is really well built,miles better than a standard Squier or Affinity,and equally as good as a CV Squier,and i will be gigging it soon,leaving my Les Paul at home.

Yes, I love my B4000 (Jazz). It is a great bass, and 'haimesy' here tried it too when he came over to get a John East preamp into his Lakland. He seemed impressed as well.

I think it compares to the Squier VM series easily, but with nicer sounding pickups (for me). taking into account they go for well under £100 used, it's a great deal. Mine was £40 + £10 delivery :)

I am keeping the Squier here, because I like the natural/maple combination, visually, and I took the Westfield to Spain, where it lives with my brother's guitars. :)

I have a Westfield that I'm rather fond of. I can't remember how long I've had it for, must be about 10 years. It was relatively expensive at £200, which was the price that several local shops were selling it at at the time. I think it's called a Small Body, but it's nothing like the current Small Bodies, I can't find any good information on it. I recently gave it a make over, new electrics (though I've kept the original pick-ups in it as they sound nice), some flatwounds (never used them before) and a bloomin' good set up. The action is still a bit higher than I'd like, I have shimmed the neck but it needs a bit more, the bridge saddles for the E and G are set at rock bottom. But I do love it, it sounds lovely, plays well and looks nice too.

Hardly surprising.

A modern P-bass copy - and lets face it you'd have to be pretty crap as a manufacturer not be able to make a decent copy these days especially since the hardest bits the design and R&D have already been done for you - against a bass that could be argued to come from worst period of production for Fender.

No contest IMO.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1319902046' post='1419946']
Hardly surprising.

A modern P-bass copy - and lets face it you'd have to be pretty crap as a manufacturer not be able to make a decent copy these days especially since the hardest bits the design and R&D have already been done for you - against a bass that could be argued to come from worst period of production for Fender.

No contest IMO.
[/quote]

spooky....almost word for word what the Focus guy said...you didn't buy a low miles '52 plate 1.6 Zetec in Moondust Silver this week? :)

No, they are dreadful wood. I've had three B1000's and all of them are shocking in terms of wood - soft, cardboardy-textured stuff.

But I love 'em, whack a decent pickup in, possible swap the bridge (if you can be bothered - I was) and they are superb basses for the money, I'm keeping an eye out for my next one :)

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1320048451' post='1421488']
You were all robbed! Mine was £20 from a local music forum!
[/quote]

£20...I'm gonna cry...but with a tort scratchcover, pup covers, fake fender decal, some greasy old flats 'n funk scratched into the neck heel....it's money back 'n a curry...!

[b][i]"I found this in the loft of the house just bought, the house was owned by a US airman serving at Mildenhall, called Grooover Wishintoon or something. He said it was given to him by some guy down on his heels in 1980...Jamie Jumerson or something, anyway it's ses Fender on the pointy end with the chrome twiddly bitz and seems very old, it's plays very well according to one of mates who plays guitar, but he says the strings are very high, what ever that means....there is some strange message on the end of the pointy bit near the bit you hold that says 'punk', or 'fink' or something it's hard to see, scratched in and then filled in with blue ink...[/i][/b]

[b][i][size=6]no reserve. location very top of Scotland.[/size][/i][/b]

Edited by iconic

[quote name='KingBollock' timestamp='1319900003' post='1419915']
I have a Westfield that I'm rather fond of. I can't remember how long I've had it for, must be about 10 years. It was relatively expensive at £200, which was the price that several local shops were selling it at at the time. I think it's called a Small Body, but it's nothing like the current Small Bodies, I can't find any good information on it. I recently gave it a make over, new electrics (though I've kept the original pick-ups in it as they sound nice), some flatwounds (never used them before) and a bloomin' good set up. The action is still a bit higher than I'd like, I have shimmed the neck but it needs a bit more, the bridge saddles for the E and G are set at rock bottom. But I do love it, it sounds lovely, plays well and looks nice too.
[/quote]

one of these?

The beater arrived Tuesday, very well boxed up, made in Vietnam.

Tweaked truss rod, lowered the string heights, took bit out of the e and a nut slots, picato flats the original rounds were fine, and hey presto this thing sings, nice smooth dark tone with those flats.

Good neck, buzzfree low action, very playable can handle runaway jamiroquai, looks good too, pups surprisingly hot. Took off the scratch plate to fit a mim one (wont fit) and body is a hi tech multiple layer composite construction, or plywood to you and me, tuners have lots o slack but to honest fa 75 sheets new and delivered I'm being picky, I mean, she's got a far better neck/body fit than custom Stingray with matching headstock :)

so there you are, more than happy and for less money than 2 sets of Ernie ball flats, and if she gets runover, although not the end of the world, I'll be quite dissapointed now, she does play well....no comparrison to the Nevada 'bass' in the workshop now

Edited by iconic

I bought one of these B1000 P basses off ebay, as my first bass nearly two years ago. Probably from the same guy selling them @ £75 delivered. They are fantastic bases and not just for the money. I have mine in the corner of the living room so I can pick it up and noodle on whilst watching tv, so it gets a lot of regular use. Fantastic value for money.

Edited by daz