Why become a member? ×

Ampeg dissappointment

Dave D

You may have read of my recent experience with a new Ampeg SVT7Pro. Heres an update:
The deal with Dolphin Music was good. Not a bad price and 0% as well. After a few uses, the amp would cut out for a few seconds. A little annoying to say the least. The guys at Dolphin arranged a replacement which arrived just 2 working days later.
I could only try this initially through headphones, and after 8 hours of constant use, seemed to be ok. But at rehearsal………….nothing!!! I checked everything, tried different basses and cabs, but no output.
I rang John at Dolphin at 9:01 this morning (I was chomping at the bit to say the least!), and he asked what I would want to happen in an ideal world: replacement, alternative or refund? I noticed on the website that they have the new Hartke Kilo for about the same money, and we’ve agreed to go down this route. He expects it to be with me by the tail end of next week. Because they are fairly new I’m not holding my breath on that one, but I’ll let you know.
It’s a shame because I was under the impression that Ampeg had a really good heritage and that I could be confident of it always delivering, but not in this case. I’m not about to ‘dis’ the brand, but I am disappointed. To date it’s the most expensive piece of kit I have bought.
So at the moment another thumbs up to Dolphin Music. In fact they are getting a price on a Sterling 5 HH in Pacific Blue for me, so I still have confidence in my retailer. Seeing as they are now owned by PMT, I have the best of both worlds: A local store to visit, and the website to browse.
I’ll let you know when I the Hartke arrives and I’ve given it a thorough roadtest.

Ampeg, and no offence to users, have really gone down hill recently when it comes to reliability. If you read on Talkbass, there are failures left right and centre. Then, if you check something like the Markbass thread, virtually no failures.

The Pro 7could have been there comeback. Light, powerful, apparently great tone.

It is a big shame...if I were you..check the Genz Streamliner 900 as well as the Hartke.

Good luck, and im glad you have Dolphin sorting you out,

By the way, the Sterling 5s are lovely. I have a 5 HS and it is a wonderful instrument!

Got me thinking that i haven't seen anyone using an ampeg backline for a while now. Shame. About 15 years ago i had a bomb proof Ampeg flip top thingy on castors which i used to push to gigs if less than a mile from home (lived in the middle of town in those days). I would even show off and ride it down hills! What was i thinking.

Apparently there were similar and regular issues with the 7PRO, from what I`ve read on Talkbass. The serial numbering is a way of checking if the item is one of the before or after problems batch.

It also seems that many of Ampegs new models have issues, which is a shame, as word of mouth always spreads quickest with both new models, and problems. Quite why they don`t test the hell outof them before release, I don`t know.

Gott say though, I`ve been more than happy with my PF500, though I think if I`d had similar problems with any make, irrespective of how much I liked them, I don`t think I would buy their items again.

Shame, as Musicman20 says, Markbass don`t seem to have any of this.

[quote name='DrDave' timestamp='1319733686' post='1417956']
Apparently the 'revision C' have the fix already, but both of mine were revision C so obviously not!!

Shame though.
[/quote]

Musicman20 gets this with basses, it's his gift
Yours is amps obviously... Lucky you!

it IS a shame, coz the 7 PRO IS an AWESOME amp.
I've not had a prob with mine(a rev-c) & I've done about 25 gigs ranging from corporate, full PA back up, to using our own PA at both LOUD outdoor ones (no PA for bass) & quiet jazz/blues gigs. It's not done anything untoward.
All these reports DO make me a li'l nervous about it, but, honestly, it's performed superbly. Has a 3 yr warranty (I think it's 3 yrs-must check my receipt) anyway.
It seems they 'show their colours' early on anyway. So, hopefully mines a good 'un.

[quote name='rodl2005' timestamp='1319773510' post='1418455']
it IS a shame, coz the 7 PRO IS an AWESOME amp.
I've not had a prob with mine(a rev-c) & I've done about 25 gigs ranging from corporate, full PA back up, to using our own PA at both LOUD outdoor ones (no PA for bass) & quiet jazz/blues gigs. It's not done anything untoward.
All these reports DO make me a li'l nervous about it, but, honestly, it's performed superbly. Has a 3 yr warranty (I think it's 3 yrs-must check my receipt) anyway.
It seems they 'show their colours' early on anyway. So, hopefully mines a good 'un.
[/quote]

The internet equivalent of nener nener :)

[quote name='DrDave' timestamp='1319806911' post='1418816']
....Ampeg told me in an email that there have only been 10 similar faults in the UK since the model was launched....
[/quote]
[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial]That number won't include the other non-similar faults![/font][/color][/size][color=#222222][font=Arial][size=1][/size][/font][/color]

Don't get me wrong, I like the proper Ampeg tone (although I don't like their EQ) especially in their tube amps, hence I like the Sansamp BDDI and VT Bass pedal, but, Id much rather use a Markbass or Genz amp + the pedal.

Genz have amazing customer service, and excellent guarantees. Even outside the gurantee, they will help you get it sorted.

Another option is the TC RH amps. The RH450 is quite a low price now, and beats Ampeg at their own game.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1319729441' post='1417887']

Then, if you check something like the Markbass thread, virtually no failures.
[/quote]
Interestingly,a friend of mine has had two LMII amps fail on him within a month of each other.

[quote name='Sjonnie' timestamp='1319812774' post='1418903']
Another option would be to get a (used) Ampeg preamp and a decent power amp. Works like a charm.
[/quote]

Not in my experience. The Ampeg EQ stage is poor, IMO, and you don't want to have to fight it.
I find the Ampeg valve amp works well as a package if you can just plug'n'play but not when you split it.

I've used the pre and power amp when provided and I can see why hire companies might find this attractive..weight, servicing etc..
but if has been a major let-down whenever I have had the misfortune to have one...and I preferred to see Ashdown..out of the two
and that is saying something.

Ampeg..and to a lesser degree, Ashdown, must have very active product placement but I am not convinced they could justify it
otherwise.

More iconic than market leader, IMO

Edited by JTUK

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1319876193' post='1419497']

Not in my experience. The Ampeg EQ stage is poor, IMO, and you don't want to have to fight it.
I find the Ampeg valve amp works well as a package if you can just plug'n'play but not when you split it.
[/quote]

I think it is even worse, you need the complete package, that is an Ampeg valve amp with probably an 8X10 to get that "Ampeg tone".
It's the complete chain, from bass to cab, that makes the sound. You indeed can't take one element out of it and expect that to deliver the sound of the complete set up.

However the 7pro uses a class D power amp and only one valve in the preamp. If you like the sound an Ampeg pre and separate power amp should probably get you close.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1319876193' post='1419497']

I've used the pre and power amp when provided and I can see why hire companies might find this attractive..weight, servicing etc..
but if has been a major let-down whenever I have had the misfortune to have one...and I preferred to see Ashdown..out of the two
and that is saying something.

Ampeg..and to a lesser degree, Ashdown, must have very active product placement but I am not convinced they could justify it
otherwise.

More iconic than market leader, IMO
[/quote]

I have been using a pre / power amp combo for some time now and for how I use it that is ideal.

I have been able to test a large number of preamps over the years. The impact of a preamp on the overall sound is large, but it is still the combination that has to be right. I have an Ampeg SVP Pro and at home it sounds stunning. During practice I like it a lot less, but there I use a different bass and different cabinets, so it is probably not the fault of the preamp.

I brought a brand new littlemark2 a few years back which almost melted st it's first use due to a faulty fan, shop said it was unheard of, think a small % of any electronic gear will develop faults, it's just when it's you it changes your perception of that brand, doesn't mean it doesn't happen across the board though