Why become a member? ×

Non anglo-american musicians.

orys

I leave in UK for several years now and I noticed that most of the people know next to nothing about musicians who are from outside anglo-american circles (i.e. bands who don't sing in English). I wonder how it looks among the musicians community?

Do you know any Eastern European bands or musicians for example?

Because if you don't, you might be missing a lot...

This is just a little taster for you:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3b0fIgDy6E[/media]
(my fav Polish bass player, who likes to play solo with a little help from his extensive hardware)

[quote name='Monckyman' timestamp='1319787516' post='1418502']
I think this thread has demonstrated why we mostly talk about anglo-american musicians and music.
:)
[/quote]

You mean that theses are often not too good bands?

Well, to me it proved, sadly, that you don't know too much about music from that part of Europe. This is sad, you miss a lot.

Most of the posts were "eastern european related" musicians from USA (like Urbaniak, who lives in New Yourk for more than quarter of the century), some musicians who accidentaly became known in UK (like this Bulgarian guy) etc.

There were some exotic bands posted here, but there was nothing really main stream like, for example (to start from the basics from 60s) this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGt-rTDkMcM

This bit, of the great Hungarian band Omega from 60s and 70s, for example, is as basic for the non-angloamerican musicians like "House of rising sun" is for everyone, 100s of covers all across the Europe over the years and everything... there was even version in English, but I cannot find it just now.
[quote name='EdwardHimself' timestamp='1319720074' post='1417687']
I listen to a few bands from outside the UK and US, although admittedly most of them sing in english. It's usually quite difficult to relate to lyrics that aren't in the language you speak. That's the problem.
[/quote]

Hm, i can't see it as a problem. OK, you dont' undersand the lyrics, but the music might be good anyway. So you have a choice of knowing the music without understanding the lyrics, or missing the whole lot...

People from other countries listen to Anglo-american music (as it dominates the market) often without understanding, so as they are used to listen to music in foreign languages, they also listen to music in other languages as well. And it's a great prompt for many people to start learning the language - my first words in any language I speak were from the foreing songs. And then by listen to the songs I know a few words and phrases in langugages I don't speak as well...

I do understand that you here are not used to other languages, as English dominated the western culture and there is a plenty to choose from, but still it might be worth to look what is behind the corner.

My job involves a lot of driving around Europe, and I often listen to the local radio stations. When I come back to UK, I have a feeling that they play the same 50 songs all the time... European radio stations play music in various languages, so they have much wider choice of "basic hits" ;-)

Plenty of great Eastern European Musicians about who are highly skilled.
Its not all Circus Music & folk night around the camp fire using Gypsy scales [ although that's great as well]

Some very Funky Polish dudes from the 70's when everyone thought it was just Americans doing the 'thang'.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSJ3-75QxT0[/media]
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9BK5wLFcvM&feature=related[/media]

Garry

Edited by lowdown