Why become a member? ×

FT: Zon Sonus - fretless needed

Chris2112

Good morning,

It's come to pass that I may have the chance of doing a little bit of function work over the Christmas period (around the disastrous shift pattern I'll be working then), which is really going to require me to have a fretless bass. I've recently sold my Zoot fretless, and I am in a quandry. Ultimately, I'll defer to my policy of 'last in, first out', which means that I am offering this beautiful Zon Sonus bass for trade for a good quality fretless bass.

Please see the pictures below, courtesy of the previous owner. I'll be taking my own over the next few days, with the help of a decent photographer.

[IMG]http://i669.photobucket.com/albums/vv52/Baryonyx2112/full1.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i669.photobucket.com/albums/vv52/Baryonyx2112/front1.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i669.photobucket.com/albums/vv52/Baryonyx2112/back1.jpg[/IMG]

It's a Zon Sonus Custom, handmade in the USA. It has an ash body, a bubinga top and a carbon graphite neck with a phenowood fingerboard, and has recently been set up and restrung with DR Stainless steel strings by Basschatter Retro Man. It has a Bartolini active circuit and two Bartolini singlecoil pickups, and is finished in a lovely high gloss. It's very light, and balances very well. In many respects, it feels like a high tech re-imagining of the classic Jazz bass, which was Joe Zon's goal when he created the Sonus in the late 80's. The neck is slim, smooth and quite jazz like, the tone is the least 'graphite' of any carbon necked bass I've owned, tending towards a very even, rich and organic tone.

It is a stunning instrument and one I'll make use of exclusively over the Christmas period if no fretless is found, but for the purposes of doing a good job for the gig a decent fretless would be a big help (I currently have only a fretted ACG and this fretted Zon).

I paid £1300 so fretless basses of equivalent value would be given serious consideration. I may also take a trade and a small amount of cash for it, but my heart is set on a fretless bass as stunning as this Zon. I'd prefer 4 or 6 strings, and lined if possible. I can post the bass for a trade in it's Zon hardcase.

Thanks again,

Chris

bump, just to see whats out there.

I've discussed the situation with the band leader and the event organiser and they're both happy for me to use a fretted bass for the gig, and both of them love the Zon. Not just because it sounds great in the mix, but because the organiser has requested we have our best looking instruments to hand (I believe the visual aspect of seeing musicians playing attractive, classy looking instruments is going to add to the vibe the organiser wants). So if nothing comes up that I fall in love at first sight with I'll keep the Zon. It's hard enough to find a Sonus in this country as it is, never mind one I know is great!

I had a little ditty on it tonight, some 'Animal Logic' tunes (my favourite Stanley Clarke stuff...yes, shame on me when I should be saying Return to Forever is my favourite!). I also had a go along with 'Spanish Heat' by Albert Niland, which is a fairly sparse track of nylon string guitar and vocals. It's begging for a touch of bass playing to make it even better. I just added some counterpoint to the guitar line and just traced the chord structure through a lot, soloing the bridge pickup of the Zon. It sounded as fresh and vibrant as if I'd sat for hours in a studio tweaking it and mastering it. This is a demand I make of all my basses, that they must sound incredible from the off.

The graphite neck is a beauty though. Incredibly stable (still in tune...since I bought it!) and it sounds wonderful. Extremely vibrant and present, but with a slightly softer, more vocal high end compared to the snap of a Modulus or a Status. It is very rich and organic sounding, which gives it a character as at home accompanying a nylong string guitar or in a busy mix of drums and guitars. I am still really appreciating these offers of fretless basses coming in though, I'm always looking to drool over new basses!

[quote name='Chris2112' timestamp='1320088184' post='1422213']
Extremely vibrant and present, but with a slightly softer, more vocal high end compared to the snap of a Modulus or a Status. It is very rich and organic sounding, which gives it a character as at home accompanying a nylon string guitar or in a busy mix of drums and guitars.
[/quote]
This is what I love about my Zons - they sound so much warmer than any other carbon fibre necked bass I've tried & they sit in a mix really well because of this.

I think for now I'll be keeping ahold of this. I've considered all of the basses I've been offered, and in particular the Devon and the Pedulla have caught my eye. But with me squaring things with the bandleader and agreeing that a fretless was not a must for the gig I am inclined to keep it. It is a fantastic fretted bass and it's probably getting the most play of both my basses at the moment while I wait for some new strings to come for the ACG.

I may get some sound samples sorted in future, and of the ACG to when I have the time.

• 2 weeks later...