Why become a member? ×

'Super 1x12' bass cabinets

Musicman20

[quote name='geoffbassist' timestamp='1319621401' post='1416393']
....It's great a small producer can make something which doesn't look flimsy and homemade....
[/quote]
[size=4][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][color=#000000][color=#222222]Did anyone who played through the Barefaced bass cabs at the SE bass bash think there was a problem with the cabs? [/color][/color][/font][/size]

[size=4][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][color=#000000][color=#222222]I thought they were great. I prefer rat fur anyway but the finish is the smallest part of the equation for me, a long way behind tone, weight, size and price.[/color][/color][/font][/size]

[size=4][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][color=#000000][color=#222222]My AE112's don't seem to be classed as "super" 12's but they are so superior to most of the cabs I've used since I started playing bass that they make me happy, even when I'm loading them into the car! If Big Baby cabs sound better than this they're definitely be on my "of interest" list.[/color][/color][/font][/size]

Sorry but i couldn't find a midget picture looking like i wanted:

But given the cab's name (Super12) i believe this can't be seen as offtopic :)

I can't see home-made in this pic but but i would be the first to point any faults if that would make Alex lower his prices and sell the cabs cheap!

Cheers

[quote name='tbonepete' timestamp='1319623478' post='1416431']
Well this is off topic as regards to the "super" designation, but I must say that I don't find any of the pictured cabs to be home made. If you could/can do better then lets see it. I have just changed to Hartke hydrive 112 cabs x 2, a combination of age, back, and need, and whilst they don't look "homemade" (that is unless you live on the set of Blakes seven ((ask a grownup)), they have an unbelievably cheap look and feel to them, handle, corners, badges, grill, covering, all look like they came from the pound shop. This is just my opinion, and it is backed up by owning them, not merely bashing them for fun, Oh, but back to my point; no matter how cheap they look, they sound good! (again, just my opinion!), and that should be the point. How many of your thousands of fans listening to your multi platinum Cd's can see what your gear looks like?. They are more concerned with whether you can play it, or not.
Cheers Pete
(be nice)
[/quote]

It is simple... get someone who can do the job.

I think it is funny some of these self proclaimed super cab makers miss that little point..
I've seen a dodgy few websites as well
It just makes me think that if they scimp on some fundementals...IMO... ???

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1319570611' post='1416005']
Boutique and VERY professional in style...

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/152456-ead-extended-audio-design/"]http://basschat.co.u...d-audio-design/[/url]
[/quote]
Style-wise this isn't my bag at all. The logo is overpowering and horrid.

Not that it really matters, as I'm sure they're incredibly well-built and sound great. it just shows we all have different taste.

[quote name='bass_by_name' timestamp='1319631490' post='1416608']
I have often wondered about this. Lots of cabs have name badges covering the ports and/or drivers.
[/quote]
Badges should not cover ports, they will upset the tuning of the cab. I wouldn't cover drivers with them either, though it's less problematic than ports.

I've one of the first production EAD foundation 212's and have to say it is a great cab. Sounds very articulate and clear with an authoritative low end.

In terms of finish (which has come up repeatedly in this thread) the EAD finish is second to none. To me in terms of finish quality it's second to none, it's every bit as good as my HK PA system.

I'm really keen to see how the 112 turns out, I know Dave is close to having it finalised.

Obviously in real life it's less blurry than my camera phone pics!

Edited by gilmour

[quote name='Legion' timestamp='1319631558' post='1416609']
Maybe you were looking for something like this one?

[/quote]
See, this is getting better. I know the Compact I tried WAS an early one...but if things have changed dramatically since then, then perhaps it would be better for all of us moaning about the aesthetics.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1319629465' post='1416572']
the logo is in front of one of the ports. Will that not interfere with the airflow?[/quote]

You would be astounded at how many variations of size and position of the logo I looked at before going for what I did.

I am in a fortunate position to have a number of cabs to carry out trials on.
cabs with no logo, just a perforated grill, and I literally covered the areas that I wanted to place the logo on to hear the effect it has.....Its certainly not done with no consideration to the effects :)

Keep this in mind. The grill is set away from the port by about 35mm. The logo solid area is about 20mm wide.....

The port at exit diameter is roughly 120mm
I ran low freq level test tones and obviously played cabs side by side.
Try it yourself on a cab at some point - remember you are not shoving something right at the exit of the port, but placing something over the grill that is set well away from the port exit.

The logo over the port location made [I]no audible difference [/I]to the cab.
The foundation 112's are shaping up nicely but until I have tried a few more options on drivers and crossovers, then I am not going to rush into production with them. The grills on these have Logo badges for the time being, but final production runs will be CNC punched as the Foundation 212.
I try and carry out trials with a realistic approach, and concentrate on live testing where possible.
These are going to be at the UK bass day and London Bass show for anybody who wants to come along for a chat :)
Dave
[IMG]http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj211/david_l_perry/EAD%20photos/PICT8382.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj211/david_l_perry/EAD%20photos/PICT8381.jpg[/IMG]

So how come Ashdown cabs, which don't have anything obstructing the drivers and ports sound like they have been wrapped up in a duvet?

I'm with Mr Perry on this one. If there is enough of a gap for the ports to breathe (which I would imagine to be the case here), I can't believe it will be a problem. Why has nobody questioned other manufacturers who blatently have covered ports and drivers? And let's face it, if you are on a gig, I would be amazed if you could tell the difference. And if you can tell the difference, you are obviously sitting in your bedroom with a totally ridiculous rig that does nothing but pee off your neighbours - and you've convinced yourself that you can hear a difference when in reality, you can't.

Edited by EBS_freak

Really liking the look of these cabs - how much are they going to sell for and do you have any retailers stocking them?

Would be keen to try them out.

[quote name='david_l_perry' timestamp='1319705425' post='1417370']

You would be astounded at how many variations of size and position of the logo I looked at before going for what I did.

I am in a fortunate position to have a number of cabs to carry out trials on.
cabs with no logo, just a perforated grill, and I literally covered the areas that I wanted to place the logo on to hear the effect it has.....Its certainly not done with no consideration to the effects :)

Keep this in mind. The grill is set away from the port by about 35mm. The logo solid area is about 20mm wide.....

The port at exit diameter is roughly 120mm
I ran low freq level test tones and obviously played cabs side by side.
Try it yourself on a cab at some point - remember you are not shoving something right at the exit of the port, but placing something over the grill that is set well away from the port exit.

The logo over the port location made [i]no audible difference [/i]to the cab.
The foundation 112's are shaping up nicely but until I have tried a few more options on drivers and crossovers, then I am not going to rush into production with them. The grills on these have Logo badges for the time being, but final production runs will be CNC punched as the Foundation 212.
I try and carry out trials with a realistic approach, and concentrate on live testing where possible.
These are going to be at the UK bass day and London Bass show for anybody who wants to come along for a chat :)
Dave

[/quote]

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' timestamp='1319739522' post='1418042']
Really liking the look of these cabs - how much are they going to sell for and do you have any retailers stocking them?

Would be keen to try them out.
[/quote]

Dave's website is here:

http://www.extendedaudiodesign.co.uk/

I've got a Foundation 212 and it's superb. Dave will probably be along in a bit but I think the 112's are working their way through the last of the prototype stages and I'm not sure if prices are up for them yet. I think he's going to do them is 3 'builds', 3 way, 2 way and single driver. Some prototypes will be at Bass day in manchester and London.

The prices aren't 'economy' prices but when you factor in the build quality, finish, components (great crossovers) and of course, sound quality I think they're hard to beat.

Dave's a mate and yes I'm biased but I'm also in a position to know what a talented and nice guy he is.

Peter

[quote name='GreeneKing' timestamp='1319743116' post='1418128']

Dave will probably be along in a bit but I think the 112's are working their way through the last of the prototype stages and I'm not sure if prices are up for them yet. I think he's going to do them is 3 'builds', 3 way, 2 way and single driver. Some prototypes will be at Bass day in manchester and London.
[/quote]

Thanks Peter

Yes that is the plan so far.

The web site is being updated over the next few weeks.

Dave

Well, now my rig looks like this I can add comment.
[attachment=92104:rig1.jpg]
Basically...

Jesus!

It's very well built, has a very even and uncoloured sounding tone, weighs nothing and allows me to release the full 1000W from the Puma making it shockingly loud. The tweeter adds a subtle sparkle up top which to be honest I'm finding nearly unnecessary as the midrange driver sounds so good. And the midrange driver can also be fully unleashed by another switch adding a lot of aggression to the tone if you want it.

It only arrived today, but I'm wondering why on earth I never did this months ago considering the ability to take a trial is always there. Much though I love my Bergs, I can't see them surviving this.

Edited by Legion