Why become a member? ×

'Super 1x12' bass cabinets

Musicman20

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' timestamp='1319541332' post='1415350']
Call me fussy but I would not buy any of them - I don't know the brand names and I don't muck like the look of them either!

If I look at a Bergantino or Aguilar 12' cab they just look a whole lot better - of course the fact that most people on Basschat rave about them also helps shape opinions too!
[/quote]

So... Are Bergantino or Aguilar producing super 1x12 cabs?

I really don't understand the fuss about what any of these cabs look like. Last on my list behind how they sound (or how they don't), how well they're built and easy they are to move. What brand they are? couldn't give a monkey's. :)

Ok, well remember that in the future when you like the rest of us decide to change your gear and suddenly find that no-one wants to buy whichever of these cabs you like because they have no name or reputation! I am sure that at that time you will give a monkey's :) !!!!!

Agree that you should choose with your ears and not your eyes but it must be impossible to find may retailers that stock all of these cabs.

[quote name='bigjohn' timestamp='1319544687' post='1415467']

So... Are Bergantino or Aguilar producing super 1x12 cabs?

I really don't understand the fuss about what any of these cabs look like. Last on my list behind how they sound (or how they don't), how well they're built and easy they are to move. What brand they are? couldn't give a monkey's. :)
[/quote]

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' timestamp='1319545110' post='1415477']
Ok, well remember that in the future when you like the rest of us decide to change your gear and suddenly find that no-one wants to buy whichever of these cabs you like because they have no name or reputation! I am sure that at that time you will give a monkey's !!!!!

Agree that you should choose with your ears and not your eyes but it must be impossible to find may retailers that stock all of these cabs.
[/quote]

All the cabs in the pic that Alex posted before hold their value very well, although you may not be aware of it as they're more popular in the US. Acme cabs are the most common over here out of those and they get snapped up on this site.

Just because it's not a brand you have heard of doesn't mean they don't hold their value, there's plenty of people who will pay for quality and know what brands to look for. That's the nature of boutique gear, those prepared to seek it out are also prepared to pay for it.

I see you own a GB bass, should probably have just bought a Squier, after all not many bass players know what a GB is do they? :)

[quote name='lemmywinks' timestamp='1319545924' post='1415504']
I see you own a GB bass, should probably have just bought a Squier, after all not many bass players know what a GB is do they? :)
[/quote]

:)

Yep. Bought and sold a few boutique cabs now. Never sold them for less than I bought them for. They've held their value better than some more famous branded gear I've bought and sold.

In fact I saw one of my old Acme Low B2 for sale on here for more than I sold it for. Though I did sell them as a pair. Had offers from all over for them too, but let them go for less than I could have sold them for due to the buyer driving 5 hours to pick them up.

Similarly the Schroeder I've just sold. People from all over Europe wanted it and offered what I wanted for it. I could have sold it 3 or 4 times in a week.

There's enough people that know that these class of cabs in many situations out perform the bigger names, to know that you can easily pass them on if you fancy a change.

So back on topic?

Has anyone tried one of these wee beasties?

I'm also dead interested in the Barefaced 8" developments that Alex has mentioned.

Edited by bigjohn

Prepared to bet a lot that more people on here have heard of Bernie Goodfellow and his basses than have heard of Acme cabs!! However, I also realise that the nature of a boutique luthier means that should I wish to sell my Rumour tomorrow then I would lose a lot of money against what I paid for it.

[quote name='lemmywinks' timestamp='1319545924' post='1415504']

All the cabs in the pic that Alex posted before hold their value very well, although you may not be aware of it as they're more popular in the US. Acme cabs are the most common over here out of those and they get snapped up on this site.

Just because it's not a brand you have heard of doesn't mean they don't hold their value, there's plenty of people who will pay for quality and know what brands to look for. That's the nature of boutique gear, those prepared to seek it out are also prepared to pay for it.

[/quote]

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1319544309' post='1415455']
With the look of all these cabs, I thought I had just walked into Maplins...
[/quote]

Interesting to apply the word 'boutique' to these cabs..
The Baer is about the only one that is getting there in terms of the pics and then they go and spoil it with the handles and footpads, IMO.

I have to say that a few of the home-made BFM projects from guys on here look way better.
Of course, no one will be fooled if the cab sounds awful but presentation is an important part as well.
If it doesn't matter to you..it might matter to the person you are selling it to.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1319562718' post='1415858']

The Baer is about the only one that is getting there in terms of the pics and then they go and spoil it with the handles and footpads, IMO.

I have to say that a few of the home-made BFM projects from guys on here look way better.
Of course, no one will be fooled if the cab sounds awful but presentation is an important part as well.
If it doesn't matter to you..it might matter to the person you are selling it to.
[/quote]

You might was well have written; "They all look rubbish, so I wouldn't buy one and don't understand anyone that would. IMO. IMV.".

Whereas I think they look rather cool and I reckon they all sound better than they look.

I imagine Alex has had to deal with a lot of constructive criticism with his designs - but as they say "you can't please everyone" so at some point practicalities would seem likely to take priority over purely cosmetic (and potentially costly) aspects that are very subjective. Some people love tolex, some hate it, some like rat fur, some like recessed handles...some like plastic stacking corners some like metal.....and the list goes on.
It would take a greater man than me to design his own product and put it out there in the market having to take the constant challenges that come his way via the "free speech" of forums. I know I'd really struggle not to lose my rag with someone somewhere along the line
Regardless of whether or not you like the cosmetics of Alexs designs I have a lot of respect for him getting out there and trying to do something he's passionate about.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1319562718' post='1415858']

[/quote]

I'm more bothered about the structure and overall design than fancy trimmings. What does boutique mean to you? Cream tolex and matching leather handles?
For me it means something designed from the ground up by a single engineer or a small team to fulfill a specific purpose. I would say that describes Barefaced, fEarful, and the others quite well.

To me a cab is a well engineered box with speaker(s) in and not something to pose with, it has to be durable, I'm pretty much a carpet or textured paint guy. They need to stand up to the rigours of gigging more than any other piece of equipment I buy.

I don't see anything that would put me off buying any of the brands pictured in this thread, they all look like they would last. I really like the look of the Baer and the Acme ones, particularly the Baer.

[quote name='lemmywinks' timestamp='1319570970' post='1416015']
To be fair I think the EAD cabs [size=5][b]look[/b][/size] better than [i]anything[/i] else on the market.
Me want!
[/quote]
Currently theres not many people who can say more than that, if they also sound good then he's onto a winner :)

Edited by Legion

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1319452546' post='1414132']
There seems to be quite an influx of these new super 1x12s, especially over in the USA.

Recently, Baer Amplification, Acme, and AudioKinesis all released new models, and the reviews of them are very very favourable. Eg, despite my lack of full knowledge on the specifications, they can actually almost cover/can cover the ground of a high quality 2x10, and perhaps even bigger cabinets.

It seems there have been Fearful 12/6 designs on the market for quite some time. Again, I haven't looked into this, so no idea what the background is.

I believe Barefaced also has one, which I havent heard much about, the Big Baby.

I am actually quite interested in getting one of these, purely because the specs seem to tick all the boxes.

Does anyone own one on here?
[/quote]

I have a Schroeder 12" light cab, which I bought from Jorg Schroeder over here. I think it's great, it certainly has a strong cut--the midrange is very strong but I would say the bottom could be bigger. Someone suggested in another thread that the cab is a little too small, hence the less-strong bottom. (Or is it my bass?) I play with a trio--violin, keyboard, bass, all mic'ed of course, and no drums--so great volume usually isn't wanted, but don't get me wrong: it can get plenty loud, and it keeps its voice, so to speak (I can never describe these things). Perfect for what we do. But my ideal rig would add either another 12" or a Schroeder 10" light to this one for when I am playing with other, louder groups.

Edited by tedgilley

[quote name='Legion' timestamp='1319582183' post='1416153']
Currently theres not many people who can say more than that, if they also sound good then he's onto a winner :)
[/quote]

They look to me like they are based around a pair of eminence deltalite drivers and the alphalite mid unit. The crossover will play a large role in the tone, I'm sure it's very good indeed and I'd expect the sound to be excellent. But, IF I'm right about the drivers, then they can't shift as much air as the kappalites. Really though, who needs that much? Horses for courses, each prioritises slightly different things. I do like the ergonomics of the EAD 112s, very well thought-out. Wonder if they're close to being finalised?