Why become a member? ×

Ampeg Cab advice please?

sixdegrees

Im pretty sure you could get better cabs than the Ampeg ones for the Pro 7.

Just make sure you get the latest revision of the amp, and throughly check it.

They are great value, but there have been a fair few failures of the these amps...so make sure its a good one!

A while back I purchased an 810E to live the dream, only to find it wasn't really that great, at all.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1319550243' post='1415600']
Im pretty sure you could get better cabs than the Ampeg ones for the Pro 7.

Just make sure you get the latest revision of the amp, and throughly check it.

They are great value, but there have been a fair few failures of the these amps...so make sure its a good one!

A while back I purchased an 810E to live the dream, only to find it wasn't really that great, at all.
[/quote]

I think this is the problem with Ampeg.. It's the 'dream', but reality is there is much better out there now.. I used a Full Ampeg rig a few times for recordings and a some gigs and it was 'nice'.. not mind blowing

Thanks Alex. The more articles of yours that I read, the less I trust manufacturers claimed specs!
The overdriven fart is what I'm trying to get away from at the moment. And that's with, albeit small, ported cabs.

*now staring at super 12s, while flicking through my wallet and shaking head*

Edited by sixdegrees

I'd go with a 610 if the carry was feasible..ie transport and storage.

I might still add that option If I find what I want...I'll only get it out for certain dates and it will needs to be on tilt-back wheels
and then I'll worry about getting it to gigs.

A 610 would be monstrous... though I seriously doubt the Ampeg would suit me, but there are others, AFAIAC.

I currently run 2x210's and the sound is right up there...so a 6er...??? deffo to be considered.

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1319548523' post='1415553']
The 6x10's are awesome but are friggin heavy too
[/quote]

+1 but its never really been a massive problem for me? as if the load in/out is on a flat with only a lift to the stage it can be rolled in and out and as i help my guitarist and drummer out with there stuff they can help if its a bit more than that. but size wise i managed to fit my amp, cab, bass and pedalboard in my 05 three door ford fiesta

honeslty dnt worry about moving it around

andy

Big +1 Andy, It's great being in a band that helps each other out with loading, set up, and break down.

Find my 610 really easy to move about, thanks to the large wheels and sturdy handle. The large wheels are great, as it means that it doesn't snag on small stones, etc, like small wheels would, and they do make it relatively easy to drag up steps............Just to put it into context though, I am used to heavy lifting as part of my job, and the 610 is quite a weighty beast.......But then again, my old rig was a full TE V-Type with the 4X12, and 2X15 cabs, and those had no casters, and really were back breakers!

If you're not that strong, or have a bad back, then it might pay to look else where :)

+1 Good wheels, Tilt back capable handle & Skid rails ALL help considerably to make a cab such as the NV610, Barefaced's 610 & Ampegs 610 easier to move than many 410s. Even when I had my NV610, I'd often stick it on a crate to get it up nearer to my ears. This doesn't really apply if U R on a larger stage, but if you're standing close to yr rig, makes a heck of a difference

It depends on what you mean by "high-end definition". If you're talking a 6x10" with tweeter and talking about the treble sharpness/air coming from the tweeter, then it won't have that but if you're talking about the bite and attack found in the lower treble then it'll have plenty. The SVT7 is a really nice and properly powerful head - with that much power a Super Twelve will put out more bottom than any Ampeg 6x10" (and with the S12 you can have a tweeter if you want). The Super Fifteen won't be necessary - but if you're not into tweeteryness and you like really huge lows then it'll certainly be fun!

I love my Warwick WCA cabs, as you can see in my pic i've got a 115 and a 411. I use the 411 on its own quite a bit and it always delivers, whether i'm after tight punchy funk or filthy overdriven rock. One thing to bear in mind is the weight, my 411 is only just under 40kg! and if i remember rightly the 611 is up around 55kg(which is actually heavier than the 8x10 neo cab) although it has the casters and tiltback handle which makes it much easier to move about. If the weight isn't a big deal then you can bag yourself a real bargain with these Warwick cabs.

[quote name='sixdegrees' timestamp='1320416523' post='1426629']
Now looking at a Warwick 611 (6 x 10) 6 ohm cab. Anyone had any experience of these?

Meant to be 900 watts (1200 peak) but at 5.3 ohms. So I'd get about 700 - 750 using a 4 ohm head?

Now thinking of a cheap alternative to the Ampeg. Would the Warwick be as good as...?
[/quote]

id say that it being 6 0hms just causes a few problems? i mean although you may never want to its nice to know i can add another 4 ohm or 2 8 ohm cabs to my current head?

andy

I snoozed and I losed with the Warwick cab. It got snapped up for under 200 quid while I was doing my research. But being 5 kilos heavier, and generally bigger than the Ampeg version, I'm kinda relieved. Why make a 6 ohm cab in the first place?!!?

I did just cheer myself up by picking up an OLP Stingray V for under a ton though.

I take it that was the one on ebay in Cheltenham then? I was tempted by it for that price but decided i don't really need it, although if it was the 4ohm version i might've gone for it! I agree with the "why make a 6ohm?" question, i don't really know why anyone would want a 6ohm cab rather than a 4 or 8ohm. Warwick must know that us bass players are simple animals, give us 4 or 8, don't confuse us! After all, as every non bass player will tell you, we only play bass because we're not clever enough to play guitar!! :)

[quote name='ern500evo' timestamp='1320479671' post='1427313']
I take it that was the one on ebay in Cheltenham then? I was tempted by it for that price but decided i don't really need it, although if it was the 4ohm version i might've gone for it! I agree with the "why make a 6ohm?" question, i don't really know why anyone would want a 6ohm cab rather than a 4 or 8ohm. Warwick must know that us bass players are simple animals, give us 4 or 8, don't confuse us! After all, as every non bass player will tell you, [u][i]we only play bass because we're not clever enough to play guitar[/i][/u]!! :)
[/quote]

You're not meant to admit that there's any truth in that ridiculous old chestnut!!!

Yeah, it was the Cheltenham one. If it had been 4 ohm I would've snapped it up and made the 200 mile round trip. They make a 4 ohm version now so someone who actually plays bass must've had a quiet word with the Warwick guys. Or simply slapped them about with a wet fish.

• 5 weeks later...

I've a 'sealed' Markbass 610 which might pair nicely with your Ampeg .. only weighs @ 35kg flightcased .. just take front off & away you go ..
cost me @ £1200 but selling here for £700 .. probably over your budget but you can come check it out if you like ..

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/123246-markbass-classic-300-610-cab-fs-l2000/page__fromsearch__1

Si

I'm about to put my SVT 410 HLF Classic in the For Sale section.
I love it but, it's killing me to take it to rehearsals twice a week. Gigs though, man it's awesome!
I run it through a Sansamp RBI & an SVT 3 Pro.
I'm looking to downsize and use the rehearsal rooms' ashdown cab for now. and look at a Neo later on.
PM me if your interested at 1st dibs!?

[quote name='grunge666' timestamp='1323133260' post='1459772']
I'm about to put my SVT 410 HLF Classic in the For Sale section.
I love it but, it's killing me to take it to rehearsals twice a week. Gigs though, man it's awesome!
I run it through a Sansamp RBI & an SVT 3 Pro.
I'm looking to downsize and use the rehearsal rooms' ashdown cab for now. and look at a Neo later on.
PM me if your interested at 1st dibs!?
[/quote]

change that for a Barefaced super twelve or two compacts and you'll be very happy.. also there's a sale on the compacts

Edited by algmusic