Why become a member? ×

Ampeg Cab advice please?

sixdegrees

Hi all,

I'm about to venture into the world of Ampeg and have pretty much decided on an SVT 7 Pro head.

But cab choice is giving me a headache.

Do I pair it with a 6 x 10 cab, two 4 x 10s, or a 410 + a 115?

I've heard from other users that the low end response from the 410 isn't great, while the 610 may be lacking the extra 'oomph' and not using the heads full potential. But would the 115 make the overall sound too boomy?

I play classic/hard rock, with some metal, covers. And I'm up against a hard hitting drummer and a Mesa guitar rig.

Currently using an Ashdown ABM with 210 and 115 compact cabs, and this isn't enough to cut through at the larger venues without the cones farting.

Any advice most welcome.

Playing rock/ metal using the Ampeg 610, and using either an SVT CL, or a Marshall VBA400.

Really like the 610, and wouldn't describe it really as lacking oomph. Much more managable than the 810 "fridge" in terms of portability, and perhaps a bit more versatile sounding.

Recently played a gig at a medium sized venue, using the VBA & 610, and although the soundman mic'd the cab, he later admitted that he didn't need to run my bass through the PA! A punter commented that he could feel my bass, as well as hearing it, so I think that is a pretty good vouch for the 610 :)

well...im running 4 x 10 and 1 x 15 with the PF-500 portaflex and im not too happy with the results. Plenty loud bot not much punch in the band mix, guitarist using mesa rectifier and drummer mic'd up to his own PA. I struggle to cut through but i think the problem is low quality cabs ( ashdown and bullfrog(?))
Anyhow i think the answer is to look at Bareface cabs, specifically the super twin 12. Ive read some pretty amazing reviews of their stuff, so it might be worth investigating?

I had a TC Classic 450, which I put through an Ampeg SVT 410HE & SVT 210HE together. Sounded great. Think with the 10s, when there are a lot of them, they really project the sound. When using the one cab on it`s own, it was fine, just nothing spectacular. Think two of the 410 cabs would be great - essentially just like a "fridge" 810.

Remember, Ampegs strength isn`t huge lows anyway, more that nasally clank which is slightly irritating on it`s own, but fits real well in a band mix.

Can I ask why Ampeg.. most people choice of this cab seem to be only a 'going with the crowd'.. If you have tried them and like them go for it.. if not try barefaced super 12 or maybe two big ones.. remember is you don't like the barefaced gear you can send it back.. mind you no one ever seems to

I've never tried the 410 + 115 combination, but the 610 is a fantastic sounding cab. Wouldn't get one myself because it'd be an absolute bastard on stairs!

For the price of one of those though you could get something much more manageable which you could end up liking more! My Markbass 410 cost me £899 brand new and they go for half that on here! Just some food for though :)

Welcome to Basschat & the place where you'll soon change your mind on the rig :)

Like algmusic says, why Ampeg? Is it the name?
If you want that Ampeg sound you could get a Barefaced Super 12 & pair it with a decent amp & use a Sansamp or similar to get that "Ampeg" sound, but with a bigger range of tones available, better build/sound quality & a lot lighter & louder.

I used the ampeg 610. AMAZING cab. I still miss it, but given my flats freaking tiny and its on the top floor it was a hassle after gigs (hence why i sadly sold it).
If you're able to store it and transport it, you wont regret it.

But I have heard good stuff about Barefaced - if I were to be looking for a new cab now - i'd probs give them a look in.

Well I must agree with the other posts on here about Barefaced - especially seeing as I have two. They pretty much put out what you put in, without any colouration of the sound, so if Ampeg goes in, Ampeg comes out - it does with my Compact/Midget stack. It may seem daft, but at the moment I`m having to try to "tame" them in my punk band, as this 1x15 & 1x12 set-up, with my Ampeg PF500 is a tad over-powering.

As said, the advantages of Barefaced are: Very powerful, very light, great sound, if you speak directly to Alex he will advise which of his cab set-ups are right for "your sound", and of course the "try it for a month" scheme.

I`ve not encountered any disadvantages, the only one I can actually think of is if you want a big stage-imposing stack, Barefaced certainly aren`t that, in comparison to 410s & 115s.

Happy Jack is selling a nice Barefaced cab on here at present, which is definately worth a look.

I use a combination of svt 410 and svt 15 together and it sounds very sweet to my ears with my Markbass II.
They also sound great individually for smaller gigs.
Another option you might consider is the 410HLF which is a monster cab and has more oomph than you can shake a micro amp at.
I`m not sure I`m running with any Ampeg gang,I simply love the Ampeg sound.The historical importance of the brand is a bonus, just like that F logo.
However, for practical purposes, the Barefaced vibe gets a massive amount of love here, and if like others you use an Ampeg head, then the BF cabs will honestly present that tone at a fraction of the size and weight,but alas not the price.
So, a few hard choices to make.
MM

Thanks for all the comments and advice guys. (but I do wish your replies weren't so varied. It would make my decision so much easier...)

The reason I'm drawn to Ampeg is [i]that[/i] tone. I've heard a couple in a similar live situation to mine and they're the only ones that really seem to cut through and sit in the mix. I tried out the PF500 a couple of weeks ago but was unsure about the headroom.

I don't like having to tweak, add pedals, use pre amps, etc.. so I thought I'd go for the SVT 7 head which includes all the features I'd want (onboard compressor, FX blend), without any superfluous knobs that I don't want but can't resist playing with. Basically, I want to plug in and play.

The main concern I had was headroom and portability. Two cabs allow the whole 1000 watts to be used, while I would only have to use one for smaller gigs and rehearsals (and still get 500 watts @ 8 ohms).

But if I did that - would it be better to go for a 115 to add a little low end, or another 410?

The Barefaced option would be a simple one if it wasn't for the budget I'm working with. I'll be looking at the second-hand market and the BF gear just doesn't get sold on!

Whatever I decide I'll wish I'd chosen otherwise...

as you can see i have the 610hlf, ive had a few rigs and am really happy with what i have at the minute.

if im honest im actually thinking of adding another 610 to my collection at some point! before i bought it i was told that it can be boomy and id be better of getting a 410 115 set up but im so glad that i went for the single cab route, the 610 is 4 ohms so i get 750w out of my amp and its so loud! no need to get my amp past half normally!

yes i have to be carefull with the bass knob on my amp but id do that anyway, i dnt use the tweeter and its so easy to move around as its got beasty casters which i use to pull it up stairs and its not that heavy i can lift it on my own its not a massive pain but you dnt have to as mostly you can use the casters.

if you can try one out im sure you will love it! works well at low volumes and have i metioned that it looks epic! and also as was metioned above you def can feel the bass coming from this cab!

and if you want the ampeg sound then surely the best thing to get is ampeg?

andy

Well Ampeg speakers certainly have "that tone" as well as the amps, so combining them = Ampeg heaven. A mate of mine uses an old Ampeg valve head, with the 410 & 115 and the stack sounds great.

But bear in mind removing either a 410 or 115 from this combination is likely to change the sound a fair bit, so if it were me in this situation, I`d get two of the same cabs. That way, no faffing about with seperate eqs for rehearsals and gigs. And the Ampeg 810 is a great cab to emulate with two 410s.

You could probably, if keeping your eyes open on here, get the pair for £600 - £700.

And all this talk of the SVT 7PRO is very GAS-inducing :)

[quote name='retroman' timestamp='1319480169' post='1414731']

+1!! Been contemplating this as well......Got two heads that will drive either 4 or 2 ohms.........hmmmmmm :)
[/quote]

im having dreams of 2 rigs basically a clean and a dirty, basically two of what i have now! one with all my dirt and then my chorus, delay and wah on both! id be in heaven!

andy

[quote name='sixdegrees' timestamp='1319390725' post='1413535']
Hi all,

I'm about to venture into the world of Ampeg and have pretty much decided on an SVT 7 Pro head.

But cab choice is giving me a headache.

Do I pair it with a 6 x 10 cab, two 4 x 10s, or a 410 + a 115?

I've heard from other users that the low end response from the 410 isn't great, while the 610 may be lacking the extra 'oomph' and not using the heads full potential. But would the 115 make the overall sound too boomy?

I play classic/hard rock, with some metal, covers. And I'm up against a hard hitting drummer and a Mesa guitar rig.

Currently using an Ashdown ABM with 210 and 115 compact cabs, and this isn't enough to cut through at the larger venues without the cones farting.

Any advice most welcome.
[/quote]

YEs- 2 x good quality 410's or go the Barefaced route & get something that will stack vertically. You'll be amazed at how well you cat thru- no doubt you'll find yourself having to turn DOWN.
I run a 7 PRO into Bergantino 212, 410 & Sometimes 2x15"s Absolutely AWESOME head! LOUD AS Hell too!

Cool. I'm now thinking - two Ampeg 410 HE's. That way I'll have the choice of half or full stack, and not have to have a chiropractor on speed-dial, while getting the full potential out of the head. But if a 610 comes up in the meantime I'm sure I'll have another sleepless night...

[quote name='sixdegrees' timestamp='1319539431' post='1415301']Cool. I'm now thinking - two Ampeg 410 HE's. That way I'll have the choice of half or full stack, and not have to have a chiropractor on speed-dial, while getting the full potential out of the head. But if a 610 comes up in the meantime I'm sure I'll have another sleepless night...[/quote]

That'll be a great rig and will sound just like an 810E of the same era. But two points to bear in mind - you don't need to get the 'full potential' out of the head, and in fact those cabs can't handle it anyway (200W excursion limited if you're lucky!) and that because they're small sealed cabs they can't move a lot of air on their own (four low excursion 10"s and no port to help) so start compressing/overdriving/farting fairly early on. But with both at once you'll certainly overpower drummers should you desire! :)