Why become a member? ×

New Head Trace, GK, Aguilar, mark bass, Epifani

Harrythebassdawg

Hey Folks, I'm just about to start searching for a bass amp, to upgrade from my old ashdown mag 410, which isn't cutting the mustard at the minute. I mainly play a Sei 5 string original model bass, as well as a Precision, and a warwick corvette.
Basically i'm looking to spend about 600 on a head, with a 410 to go with it. I play jazz gigs, and funk soul RnB. So I want something that has tight low response, can offer a smooth and warm tone, as well as a round punch, as well as the highs for a shapely sweet slap and pop tone!!

Tried a trace ah500-7 the other day, loved it apart from the treble end, i think it lacked the EQ cabability of its 12eq bigger brother.

I've seen the Epifani ps 600 for bout $1000 on the US websites, but all of 899 pounds over here!! Does anyone know if this is even worth checking out?

The GK1001rb looks promising, but many people say its not really road worthy. Have only tried the lower models so far, but was impressed.

Any thoughts on the Aguilar Ag500?

I would be grateful for any ideas, advice or reviews!! In the mean time, I'm off to try out as many as i can.

Thanks
Harry

£500 2nd hand Eden head: 400W @ 4 ohms
[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/David-Eden-WT400-Traveller-Plus-Bass-Amp-Head_W0QQitemZ330220233159QQihZ014QQcategoryZ58719QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/David-Eden-WT400-Tra...1QQcmdZViewItem[/url]

£430 2nd hand Eden 4x10 cab
[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/David-Eden-Bass-Cabinet-with-case-in-great-condition_W0QQitemZ270220685489QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item270220685489"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/David-Eden-Bass-Cabi...tem270220685489[/url]

I quite like the Eden sound: very clean. Not really [i]my[/i] sound but still very useable, especially for the genres you play.

Edited by The Funk

[quote name='Harrythebassdawg' post='161969' date='Mar 22 2008, 08:56 PM']A lot of talk on mark bass at the minute, whats the difference between the little mark II and the sa 450, apart from size, is it just slightly more versitile EQ?[/quote]

Hi Harry!

That's essentially it with the comparison. The SA450 is a little bit heavier, comes with adjustable hi and lo mid frequencies, and you can turn the eq on and off for the line out. The SA450 is also a tiny little bit more expensive. It is all about markbass these days though. BTW, seen the bag that came with mine? It velcros to the top of the cabinet. Markbass are geniuses. But if you can afford some Eden stuff they might be worth a look, word is they're rugged as hell.

[quote name='The Funk' post='162010' date='Mar 22 2008, 11:47 PM']£500 2nd hand Eden head: 400W @ 4 ohms
[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/David-Eden-WT400-Traveller-Plus-Bass-Amp-Head_W0QQitemZ330220233159QQihZ014QQcategoryZ58719QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/David-Eden-WT400-Tra...1QQcmdZViewItem[/url]

£430 2nd hand Eden 4x10 cab
[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/David-Eden-Bass-Cabinet-with-case-in-great-condition_W0QQitemZ270220685489QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item270220685489"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/David-Eden-Bass-Cabi...tem270220685489[/url]

I quite like the Eden sound: very clean. Not really [i]my[/i] sound but still very useable, especially for the genres you play.[/quote]

Nice one, Definatly going to look into that Eden amp!

[quote name='DylanB' post='162041' date='Mar 23 2008, 01:42 AM']Hi Harry!

That's essentially it with the comparison. The SA450 is a little bit heavier, comes with adjustable hi and lo mid frequencies, and you can turn the eq on and off for the line out. The SA450 is also a tiny little bit more expensive. It is all about markbass these days though. BTW, seen the bag that came with mine? It velcros to the top of the cabinet. Markbass are geniuses. But if you can afford some Eden stuff they might be worth a look, word is they're rugged as hell.[/quote]

Good evening and happy easter Dylan!
hmm yeah, cheers. I will definatly look into the mark bass gear. Wow that is genius, a true sign of brilliant engineering.
I'll maybe check out this eden amp on ebay, as the rents don't live too far from gloucestershire.
take it easy

Hi Harry,

Given the gigs you indicate, I'd say Epi or TE (12 band eq) is the way to go. I've some experience of both - for me the Epi has greater warmth and hifi gloss and the TE a harder-edged (but rounded and full) punch. The problem with Epi gear is the price - it's certainly not cheap here in the UK (though there was a mint ul502 on BC for around £800 about six weeks ago). I've not used Markbass stuff personally (and in truth, was disappointed with what I heard at UK Bassday), however, MB is garnering plaudits pretty much everywhere. As you're a Sei player, I'd suggest a trip to the Gallery (with said bass) - try as many amps as you can! Also, have a think about importing from the US (due diligence required!). I've managed some good deals but be ready to add around 22-25% to the purchase price for import duty, VAT and handling charges.

Good look in your search - pre-purchase testing is half the fun!

[quote name='Harrythebassdawg' post='161925' date='Mar 22 2008, 07:24 PM']I've seen the Epifani ps 600 for bout $1000 on the US websites, but all of 899 pounds over here!! Does anyone know if this is even worth checking out?[/quote]

Hi Harry

Yep, I have one and it's a great piece of kit. Every bit as good as the UL series (I should know, I had one of them too), just one channel and different cosmetics. If you want the Epi sound this will give it to you.

Cheers

Gareth

[quote name='walbassist' post='164470' date='Mar 27 2008, 01:52 PM']Hi Harry

Yep, I have one and it's a great piece of kit. Every bit as good as the UL series (I should know, I had one of them too), just one channel and different cosmetics. If you want the Epi sound this will give it to you.

Cheers

Gareth[/quote]
Cheers, yeah i just tried one at the bass gallery, Loved it! This might be the one for me! Is the gallery the only uk dealer??

[quote name='lozbass' post='164343' date='Mar 27 2008, 10:29 AM']Hi Harry,

Given the gigs you indicate, I'd say Epi or TE (12 band eq) is the way to go. I've some experience of both - for me the Epi has greater warmth and hifi gloss and the TE a harder-edged (but rounded and full) punch. The problem with Epi gear is the price - it's certainly not cheap here in the UK (though there was a mint ul502 on BC for around £800 about six weeks ago). I've not used Markbass stuff personally (and in truth, was disappointed with what I heard at UK Bassday), however, MB is garnering plaudits pretty much everywhere. As you're a Sei player, I'd suggest a trip to the Gallery (with said bass) - try as many amps as you can! Also, have a think about importing from the US (due diligence required!). I've managed some good deals but be ready to add around 22-25% to the purchase price for import duty, VAT and handling charges.

Good look in your search - pre-purchase testing is half the fun![/quote]

cheers for the advice!

[quote name='Harrythebassdawg' post='165872' date='Mar 29 2008, 02:28 PM']Hi. Is there anywhere you can try out a thunderfunk?[/quote]
Hi, I would imagine you could PM Rob at RIM. He may have one at the bass bash on sunday.