Why become a member? ×

BlingRay or Sh*tRay?

Grand Wazoo

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1319223010' post='1411606']
Wimp!

Nothing wrong with the weight or balance any of my Kramer aluminium necked guitars AFAIAC.
[/quote]

Yup!

I also found that it had more noticeable tuning stability issues following temperature changes.

I think the concept is okay, but to me it seems like a lot of money for a "novelty" bass. The Aluminium doesn't seem to offer any tangible benefits over a traditional bass, and personally I'd be worried about how it would age; is the aluminium going to start to oxidise and pit after years of (slight) exposure to sweat and moisture?

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1319140828' post='1410573']
Depresses me every time I come across manufacturers making instruments in interesting (non-wood) materials but don't have any original ideas beyond that. What's the point?
[/quote]
When you're selling to a very traditional superstitious demographic you can't offer too much diversion from the norm at once if you want to sell more than a few pieces.

IMO the bass in the original post fails on every count. It doesn't sell to many people who like MM-shaped basses because the materials used are too unusual, and it doesn't sell to people who instruments made out of materials other than wood because the overall design is too dull and conservative for most of them.

There are plenty of people making instruments out of less conventional materials that also have some interesting ideas when it comes to overall design and construction and aren't merely making copies of existing designs. That's why I find this bass ultimately uninspiring.

Has anyone seen or played any of the "Noah" Aluminium basses? Chris from Muse has one of their Tele basses IIRC (they are Italian company) And they sound pretty snappy, but to be fair there is more elements than just body wood to create the over all sound. The metal body thing is seems (IMO) to be used in a really gimmicky way, but who knows maybe in a few years graphite basses will be really common (Not as common as wood, but a usual sight on stages and in stores) and metal basses will be like graphite basses today.

Personally i doubt it but each to their own!

[quote name='AttitudeCastle' timestamp='1319473209' post='1414572']
Has anyone seen or played any of the "Noah" Aluminium basses? Chris from Muse has one of their Tele basses IIRC (they are Italian company) And they sound pretty snappy, but to be fair there is more elements than just body wood to create the over all sound. The metal body thing is seems (IMO) to be used in a really gimmicky way, but who knows maybe in a few years graphite basses will be really common (Not as common as wood, but a usual sight on stages and in stores) and metal basses will be like graphite basses today.

Personally i doubt it but each to their own!
[/quote]
Oh dear. More lack of imagination from a maker with who's only original idea is to make the instrument bodies out of aluminium and even that's getting to be pretty second hand now.

A whole load of Fender rip-offs and one original "design" that manages to be both ugly and impractical. You can tell that NOAH has no real design skills from the unimaginative headstock shape...

There are actually quite a lot of people doing something that is both original and stylish with aluminium-based instruments. Just look at the work of Teuffel, Born To Rock, Obstructures, Tokai, Spalt for starters, so there's no need for derrivative and poorly designed instruments like those in the OP and from NOAH.

[url=http://www.noahguitars.com/homepage.php]NOAH website for those who are curious...[/url]

Edited by BigRedX

I agree BigRedX! If they did something new with it, and actually gave reasons for it, other than "lookit! It's made of metal it is!" I think i'd be more sold on the idea, i'm certain there are great great basses made in such a way, they just need to be done better in a different way for them to ever really go anywhere i think!

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1319565332' post='1415898']
They look amazing! Not sure if I'll ever like the idea of playing a bass not made out of wood though. Nothing personal against other materials, I just knows what I likes.
[/quote]
TBH I don't think my aluminium-made instruments sound that much different from the wooden ones, and if they do I would put it down to the pickups and electronics rather than the materials they are made out of.

Edited by BigRedX

[quote name='AttitudeCastle' timestamp='1319565028' post='1415897']
I agree BigRedX! If they did something new with it, and actually gave reasons for it, other than "lookit! It's made of metal it is!" I think i'd be more sold on the idea, i'm certain there are great great basses made in such a way, they just need to be done better in a different way for them to ever really go anywhere i think!
[/quote]
The ironic thing is that best-known of the aluminium-bodied instruments is probably the Tokai Talbo - an original design from a company best known for its copy guitars!

Yeah it looks like a Sabre.
As for the finish I'm sure I've seen chrome finished wooden ones before, didn't the guy out of the Brand New Heavies have one?
The important thing is how it plays surely? For all the basses I've had I can get pretty much the same sound by tweaking the amp.
The look, well each to their own - personally I like black as it blends with my t-shirt. Bass players should generally be heard and not seen. :)