Why become a member? ×

GK 210MBX. Any good?

LiamPodmore

HI all,

I'm after some relatively cheap matching 2x10 cabinets, and unfortunately when i've actually got money theres never anything on here. I spotted these on Thomann for £157 each, and they don't look too bad for the price. They're pretty light (18kg) but have a tad lower power handling than i want, and theres nothing on SPL anywhere either.

Anyone got/used any of these cabs, or any ideas on what to look at which will suit me better?

Liam

I've just got myself the MB210 combo and am impressed with it so far. Still need to do a bit of tweaking but it is really loud. I've also just got myself a matching 400w 115MBE cab as well from the same series for larger gigs. the 15", 2x10" & 2x12" MBE series cabs have the same footprint so you can mix and match them

Both combo and cab come in at 15kg each

The specs for thr cabs are [url="http://www.gallien-krueger.com/productmanuals/160-0650-A_MBE_specssheet.pdf"]here[/url] but it doesn't give any details for the 400w version of the 15" that I have just bought, only the 200w 4ohm one

Edited by Delberthot

All the specs are [url="http://www.gallien-krueger.com/productmanuals/160-0530-A_MBX_specssheet.pdf"]here[/url]

they're [i]only[/i] 200w but it was only 10 years ago I was [i]only[/i] using a 200w combo

Looks like they are the replacements for the blx series and probably constructed in the same Chinese factory as the MBE series albeit a different shape and with ceramic instead of neo drivers.

Bob Gallien himself has said that the MBE series is the lightweight version of the Neo series cabs minus the bi-amp function and aluminium grills. So the MBX is probably the neo minus the above and heavier?

Pass - a complete guess. I would recommend trying them out. I never even considered the MBX series as I wanted something with a higher power rating and lighter than what I already had which was the Laney Nexus 15" at 20kg

I considered the full MBX stack (1x15 + 2x10) to go with and MB series head, also from Thomann. Opted out in the end, as getting both the cabs would have gone over my budget, I ended up getting two Peavey's off eBay instead. If I could have afforded both cabs, (Roughly £300) then I'd have probably bought them, but the cabs I bought cost £100 for the pair.

If you could find somewhere you could try them out first, then go for it. Otherwise, they're priced well and Thomann do offer a 30 day return period, if I'm not mistaken.

Anthony.