Why become a member? ×

Behringer

vicar

Not strictly...

They make a whole range of gear, the pedals are only a (relatively) new addition to the range. Over the years they have made their name by providing lower cost items for use in many musical situations (quite a lot of PA based gear etc etc).

Their pedal range does bear a certain "similarity" to other pedals on the market, not just Boss.

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1319058168' post='1409551']It certainly appears that many of the Behringer pedals are cheaper versions of other companies pedals (not just Boss---there are MXR and Line6 ones too, and probably more I've forgotten).

Some of them are really great pedals, others are really terrible. Are there any in particular you are interested in?[/quote]

yeah. the flanger and/or chorus

I haven't used them but my guitarist has a smattering of them on his board. He has the delay, the chorus and one other but not sure which. Although they look cheap and nasty they do sound good - he's probably got the best sound out of all the guitarists I've ever worked with.

Behringer basically make a living ripping off everybody elses sh*t and undercutting them by making it in the PRC.
They used to do it badly, but got away with it because it was so cheap.
Now they do it rather better and have some decent sounding stuff out there.
The build quality has improved over the last decade, but beware some of the pedals as they have a rep for flimsiness.
I have 4 carefully picked bits of Behringer gear and they all do a good job of work.
It all depends on your budget/self image :)

Yep, Behringer gear, if selected carefully, can get you very good results, at a fraction of the "real" item.

I`ve a BD121, which is a virtual copy of Tech 21 Sansamp BDDI. £30ish, as oppose to £190ish. Yes, the Sansamps build quality is much better, and yes the sound quality is better, but the gap here is nowhere near like the price would suggest.

Yup, I'm quite happy with the BSY600 (Boss SYB-5 synth bass pedal clone). Makes the squelchy/farty/synth noise that I want it to and for the amount I use it (one drone note per set) it's a no-brainer. It [i]is[/i] however, held together with soup.

I have the BDDI and am quite happy with it. I also use their cable tester,which is superb and have some multigates(get out of jail for £20 stuff) and a couple of ADA 8000 8 way pre-amp which I used on my Yam 01v96 desk. £300 for 16 in/out on adat? No brainer.
You can hear the difference on the pre-amps, but you have to listen bloody hard.
Their sonic quality appears to have arrived, and their build quality seems to be catching up.
Hmmm I may have a look at their squidgy synthy thing, the one on my Boss is a little difficult to tease sounds from.

I know it's not strictly a bass pedal, but their TO800 'Vintage Tube Overdrive' is a brilliant Ibanez TS808 clone. I've had them side by side, and as part of a live setup, you wouldn't know the difference. Well.. until you came down too hard on it and broke it, that is :)

For what it's worth, I agree with all of the above. Our band progressively started using small Behringer mixers etc after one or two of us tried out their pedals and other items - nothing we couldn't live without, just in case. Now our whole sound (bar the drums) comes through a Behringer Mixer Amp (Europower PMP6000 - absolutely fabulous) and we are just about to ditch our Yamaha speakers and upgrade to the 'cheaper' Behringer ones.

I've built pedals myself and recently looked under the bonnet of a pal's Behringer distortion pedal - they use tiny, tiny components that should be c**p. That said, it has been 100% reliable and sounds MUCH better than an extremely expensive Blackstar valve job at around 5 times the price and whose slightly weird (16v AC), newish, well-cared for, power supply packed up in the middle of a gig. Might be luck of the draw but...well, it makes you think...

I think the only thing to be aware of is that the equipment is generally not built like the proverbial tanks that some manufacturers achieve and therefore they can't be thrown around by roadies; p****d or p****d off band members; adoring fans jumping onto the stage; etc; etc in quite the same way as some of the others.

[quote name='Andyjr1515' timestamp='1319197563' post='1411119']
I think the only thing to be aware of is that the equipment is generally not built like the proverbial tanks that some manufacturers achieve and therefore they can't be thrown around by roadies; p****d or p****d off band members; adoring fans jumping onto the stage; etc; etc in quite the same way as some of the others.
[/quote]

Dunno about that...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QL-6eTHSHQ

:)

• 1 month later...

For what it's worth, In the past I have had a Sansamp RBI, Sansamp Bass driver, An MXR M80 and a fulltone Bass driver. At the moment I have a Behringer BD121 and an EBS multicomp that's all I need to give a little bit more warmth to my shuttle 9.0 head and I like the tone, can't see me changing any time soon.
Cost me £10 + postage on EBay

I recently bought the Vintage Phaser. Amazon were selling it for £16, so I thought it was worth a punt. It was repackaged and ready to be returned within 15 minutes of getting it and I ordered an EHX Nano Small Stone.

Never buying Behringer FX again. They're cheap for a very good reason.

[quote name='Monckyman' timestamp='1319186156' post='1410860']
I have the BDDI and am quite happy with it. I also use their cable tester,which is superb
[/quote]

I have both of those too, and they are great value for money. So is the AD121 acoustic guitar pre-amp, which is really good for things like mandolins and bouzoukis with piezo transducers in.
[quote]
Hmmm I may have a look at their squidgy synthy thing, the one on my Boss is a little difficult to tease sounds from.
[/quote]

I had one of those and wasn't very impressed with it: the switch was rather dodgy, it has tracking issues and it's very similar to the Boss in operation. I couldn't get the sounds I wanted out of it either, and bought a Korg which was much better all round.

I also have a harmoniser, which is quite fun and works pretty well.

I'm not so impressed with the amps and cabs though. There are plenty of stories of cabs going wrong elsewhere in the forum, and we had a guitar combo which was nothing but trouble. The cheap construction methods don't help either: we have a pair of powered PA cabs which have to be treated with velvet gloves, because the heavy transformers are surface-mounted straight onto PCB and can fail catastrophically when dropped.

there is a lot of gear snobbery surrounding Behringer. Like any company they can make good stuff and crap stuff. Add personal taste and price in to the equation and we have the continual Behringer debate threads ;)

I'm using a Behringer X Amp multi fx for guitar, in the band I play guitar in. It does the job (some of the fx are actually rather good) and nothing else that did the job came close to the price.

Edited by MacDaddy