Why become a member? ×

To fit guard or not to fit guard? That is the question!

warwickhunt

Just picked this Sterling up from Peter (top guy), which I believe was also formerly in the hands of Homer (almost easier to name the basses he hasn't owned :) ) and I now have the dilemma of pick-guards!

I initially thought the white guard that it came with diminished the lovely paint job so I whipped it off and now I can't decide whether a scratchplate adds to or detracts from the look. Naturally I'll just go with what I think in the end but I wondered if other people had similar dilemmas over their pick-guard?

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='161910' date='Mar 22 2008, 06:50 PM']Funkeh!

Leave the white one on...[/quote]

Yes MB I have come over to the dark side... but it still hasn't got the 'F' on the headstock :)

I'm inclined to think some form of white or possibly black. I'm never certain about the mother-of-toiletseat style white as it looks superb on some basses but equally naff on others and I don't want to fork out money to make it look worse. I wonder if Homer has any pics from when it might have had a pearloid?

Nice to see you (and the other guys) Dez. We must catch up and let me know what bands you and Dave are in at the moment.

Thanks for the comments everyone, does any one have a bass that they've had similar dilemmas with (with pics)?

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='bassman2790' post='162102' date='Mar 23 2008, 11:49 AM']+1 :)[/quote]

Clear Guard Dude !!!

If you think it looks nice now without a Guard a clear guard is just so classy !!

DO it

WD It !!

I think i'm gonna clear guard my New Natural Ash Maple Stingray

Edited by Marcus

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='161816' date='Mar 22 2008, 04:28 PM']Just picked this Sterling up from Peter (top guy), which I believe was also formerly in the hands of Homer (almost easier to name the basses he hasn't owned ;) ) and I now have the dilemma of pick-guards![/quote]

Cheeky monkey :huh: I was toying with the idea of a see through one but thought it would spoil the look somehow. I was thinking of getting one made in a matt black (sort of like the pup cover) or a vintage white pearl but hey ho, something else came up and it went. Nicest smelling bass I've ever owned.

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='161897' date='Mar 22 2008, 07:32 PM']I've a strange feeling that I did put a white pearl on it at one time. Homer will testify.

I think I did and I think I preferred it.

Clear would look good too but I'd go white pearl, again :)

Peter[/quote]

I never saw it with a pearl on Peter, it was always white. Superb bass.