Why become a member? ×

Where the hell rock's gone?

Faithless

Anyone out there listening to BBC Radio 6 on DAB?

Check the Stuart Maconie Freak Zone show on Sunday evenings - downloadable as a podcast too I think.

All sorts of weird and wonderful stuff, well worth a listen, it's become my regular "bath time" slot on a Sunday :)

Definitely opened my ears up to some newer prog stuff.

And, whilst I'm in the prog slot, I'm surprised to no mention of the Ricky 4001 as the bass voice of prog. The standard from which to measure others in the prog world and maybe the first bass to really cut through the mix of late 60's and 70's music as a true solo instrument in a group environment.

I fell in love with the Ricky sound as a teenager in the early 70's and finally got round to buying a '73 black & white 4001 last year. To be brutally honest it's the least favourite bass in my, small, collection but it's dripping with character and always makes me want to drag out a pick for some classic clanky sounds!

[quote name='Faithless' post='161988' date='Mar 22 2008, 10:09 PM']Back to it's origin... But I thought people'd realise what kind of stuff I'm talking about, when they read surnames, bands names, etc...[/quote]

Yeah, I got that you were talking about prog in particular but I also thought you were talking about all rock in general.

The main problem with prog is what people have said above: because of the anti-prog backlash and general lack of interest proggers have had to disguise themselves in other genres, ie. metal, electronica, jazz/fusion.

Edited by The Funk

I guess this is another good attempt at plugging my band!? :-D

[url="http://www.myspace.com/firstsignsoffrost"]FIRST SIGNS OF FROST[/url]

Agreed, Rock and for that case any genre means different things to different people. I think there was a thread a while ago that got people to list the Rock/Metal they were listening to at that time!
So I might go again!

A Perfect Circle
Sikth
Tool
Coheed & Cambria
Dillinger Escape Plan
Exit Ten
Meshuggah
Slipknot

Theres a lot more in my collection, but those seem to be whats on iPod rotation for me 'Rock/Metal' wise!
(where the 'Folk' thread?)

Si

p.s.
I agree that Nothing is Meshuggahs best work

p.p.s.
Have you ever read read an interview with Myung......he's sooooooooooo boring lol

[quote name='molan' post='161991' date='Mar 22 2008, 10:14 PM']Anyone out there listening to BBC Radio 6 on DAB?

Check the Stuart Maconie Freak Zone show on Sunday evenings[/quote]

yeah, longtime listener to 6music and the Freakzone- Maconie likes his prog. Gryphon, Yes, ELP and bizarre european prog-fusion. as well as lots of experimental stuff.

shame that controller Lesley Douglas is dumbing down the station (less music, more banal chat) with George lamb and Alan Carr though.
[url="http://www.getlambout.org.uk/"]http://www.getlambout.org.uk/[/url]

If ya'll start mentioning your bands, don't forget to put a few words by all about genre, folks :) ( is it prog or is it not, or somethin..)

I'm currently listening to...
[b]Dream Theater[/b] ( Prog Metal)

[b]Meshuggah[/b] ( Prog [death?] metal)

[b]Dysrhythmia[/b] ( veeeery recommended instrumental Proggy thing - they're insane.. only the first album 'Contradiction' isn't that worth listening)

[b]SoundArcade[/b] (Latvian psychedelic/experimental/... Progressive crew, damnit :huh: - their newest work '12 songs of Jackalope' is insane too..)

some Mr. [b]Les Claypool[/b] tunes. Primus sucks. Ya know what i mean ;)

they're are on my MP3 now, can't remember any more Prog now...

Gimme some true Prog, chaps!

P.S. Sibob, try watching John's instructional video - you'll then truly understand what word [i]boring[/i] means. Though, instructional material is great.

Edited by Faithless

oh yeah, i downloaded Myung's video-
monotone drone; "now here's a pattern in such and such a key/mode etc."
"now here's a pattern in a different key/mode etc."
X100
(a bit like Steve Coogan's "no-one died" pool supervisor in the Day today)
John Entwistle's masterclass with Arlen Roth is similarly droney.

come back Billy Sheehan & Wolf Marshall, all is forgiven...

[quote name='SJA' post='162273' date='Mar 23 2008, 05:08 PM']come back Billy Sheehan & Wolf Marshall, all is forgiven...[/quote]

Saw Sheehan playing in Steve Vai's band at a charity gig towards the end of '06. He was just amazing to watch is a small(ish) club environment.

Pretty good gig all round really. We were on honeymoon having been married on a bike at a drive-thru in Vegas. Ended up in LA for my birthday and I spotted the charity gig at HOB. Dragged my new wife along to see it and the poor thing had to watch about 3-4 hours of instrumental rock from Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, Paul Gilbert, Steve Lukather, Dweezil Zappa, Scott Henderson, Johnny Hiland, Jonny A - I'm sure there were more as well.

Not a single vocal part until they played about the third encore, by which time the wife had disappeared outside for a smoke!

For me Sheehan was the star of the night with Paul Gilbert the most interesting guitarist. Vai himself was excellent but I found Satriani a bit dull (although he got by far the biggest support from the LA crowd).

[quote name='bnt' post='161877' date='Mar 22 2008, 06:03 PM']I know Fenders can sound interesting if the player works at it, but I have to say that nearly all the bass sounds I've liked in the past were not Fender sounds. From McCartney through Entwistle & Squire, Mick Karn, John Taylor, Tony Butler & Pino, Tony Levin or Jim Glennie, through to Cliff Burton, John Myung, Fieldy & Chris Wolstenholme. I want to hear that bass stamp its authority on the song, so I can hear the player clearly as a full member of the band, not just part of the "rhythm section". :)[/quote]

Oh so not a fan of iron maiden :huh: im pretty sure harris has his bass stamp there!

Also David ellefson used to have pbass and again the stamp was there

Its a recognizable sound, being a pbass player and proud btw ;) i feel that if it fits in the band right then its what you should use

[quote name='dlloyd' post='161980' date='Mar 22 2008, 09:35 PM']Prog's never gone. It got a bit embarrassed of the guitar solo and relabelled itself as post-rock/math-rock, but that'll pass...[/quote]

Most of these sorts come from a hardcore punk background and grew up wit the Melvins/My Bloody Valentine/Earth

this thread looks interesting as I avoid sleep. I am only really getting into metal relatively recently(last year or two) and loving it. trying to steadily devour my way through as many bands and genres as possible so a thread like this is good for names to google.
I am currently enjoying Cannibal Corpse and Necrophagist for insane bassing and technicality and beginning to checkout Meshuggah.
It isnt just the uber-technical I am loving, saw Gallhammer this week and there stripped back droning punkish crust metal or what ever you want to label it was mesmerisingly fantastic. I am also loving Anaal Nathrakh and cant wait to see them in May.
Having just joined a Black Metal influenced band I am swoting that genre like there is no tomorrow in the dark world of ice and evil but the bass is generally roots and guitar mimicry. But theres always the few acceptions to the rule such as Akercocke.

Anyone want to throw compulsory extreme metal listening at me it is always appreciated (more extreme the better)

I saw Akercocke support Opeth a couple of years ago....I thought they sucked, and come across as incredibly pretentious what with all the satanism stuff. But hey, each to their own of course :).

Opeth were funny though....Acknowledging to the crowd that while their name was similar, they weren't 'OTEP' and then saying in a rather Tongue-In-Cheek manner about one of their songs "Yeah all you guys will love this song....Its really Evil!!" haha

Si

ah i know what you mean but the Satanic references and beliefs are all part of black metal, I wanted to call our band Corpus Diaboli. Opeth are a better band but i really like both at the moment, Valeria Dragova in the video for Leviathan does help :)

Edited by d-basser

[quote name='queenofthedepths' post='161822' date='Mar 22 2008, 03:47 PM']metal is music to listen to whilst jazz is music to talk about![/quote][i]Totally[/i] disagree with that, but hey, it's for another thread :)

I really, REALLY hate dream theatre. So so boring. This kind of music is basically there because musicians like to show off, and other musicians like to watch musicians show off. If musicians didn't buy music, dream theatre would be flat broke.

Someone mentioned the Mars Volta, who I have seen with Juan Alderete who was pretty astounding. I thought he had left the band now though?

There definitely seems to be a market for Prog-metal bands at the moment. How surprised was I to see Wembley Arena looking pretty full (not a sell-out, by any measure, but still pretty full) with Dream Theater and Symphony X on the bill. And that wasn't even their only UK show - they pulled big crowds for the full tour. And I find I'm seeing Dream Theater T-Shirts everywhere these days.

The Mars Volta, Meshuggah, Opeth and Mastodon are all big names now and all of them are purveyours of pretty uncompromising progressive, or at least unconventionally structured, rock/metal.

It's never going to be on Top of the Pops (there - showing my age!) but Prog Metal seems to be at least slightly in the limelight at the moment.

Edited by geilerbass

[quote name='Wil' post='162448' date='Mar 24 2008, 12:00 AM']Saw the Mars Volta live in London the other week. Lordy lordy, Juan Alderete can play![/quote]

Agreed, I was there as well, Alderete's a hell of a player. I felt completely knackered by the end though, I didn't think they'd ever stop!

[quote name='cheddatom' post='163130' date='Mar 25 2008, 01:34 PM']I really, REALLY hate dream theatre. So so boring. This kind of music is basically there because musicians like to show off, and other musicians like to watch musicians show off. If musicians didn't buy music, dream theatre would be flat broke.[/quote]

Couldn't agree more, I cannot stand Dream Theater's music. Absolutely bores me stupid.

[quote name='cheddatom' post='163130' date='Mar 25 2008, 01:34 PM']Someone mentioned the Mars Volta, who I have seen with Juan Alderete who was pretty astounding. I thought he had left the band now though?[/quote]

Nah he's definitely still there, although their old drummer Jon Theodore left to be replaced by Thomas Pridgen, with mixed results IMO.

Some rock/metal bands I'm particularly enjoying at the moment:

Botch
Russian Circles
This Will Destroy You
Latitudes
Devil Sold His Soul
Isis

All highly recommended to the post-rock fans out there (well, I suppose Botch or Devil Sold His Soul aren't post-rock, but they're flippin' good all the same).

I like a good bit of older Dream Theater, but they kinda lost me with [i]Metropolis 2000[/i]. In 2002 I saw them three times in four days, in Dublin, and London where they did a double-header. That's when they do weird stuff, like JM breaking out the Stick on [i]New Millennium[/i], and on the second night they played the whole [i]Number Of The Beast[/i] album (Iron Maiden). Great, but I was kinda cured of the DTs after that experience. :)

Anyone for [b]DragonForce[/b]? I've seen the video, and I don't know [i]what[/i] to think. :huh: