Why become a member? ×

Where the hell rock's gone?

Faithless

Ok, guys, I'm very happy that my flimfams transformed into sorta discussion, that I was 'seeking' for, and, Mr. Gamble and other fellas- don't forget to mention bands' albums that are worth listening mostly - we don't want to get through all discography ( like Mr. Claypool's - 11 diferrent solo and band albums together), do we, chaps? :)

I personally would like to know more about SIKTH's made-jobs.

Edited by Faithless

Sikth have 2 albums as far as I know, and you'll be wanting both of them! They are called:

The Trees Are Dead And Dried Out, Wait For Something Wild

Death Of A Dead Day
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As far as Primus goes, I'd say check out:

Frizzle Fry

Antipop

There's a couple of songs worth giving a go on The Brown Album too, and I think I should probably reccoment Pork Soda too but I can't remember all the songs on it at the moment 'cos I've lent my copy out.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Mudvayne albums are all pretty good,

LD:50

The End Of All Things To Come

Lost And Found

are the ones I've got, like I said they get a bit less "tech" each time but the songs are still good.
Pretty much the same with Alien Ant Farm too, I don't have their latest album and I think they have an earlier one I don't have too, but I wouldn't want to choose between:

ANThology

and

TruANT

They're both just good "rock" albums to me. Maybe they're not groundbreaking enough for some people, but the drummer's great as well as the bass playing and they do mix in some unlikely styles - like SAMBA! I think they pull it off but I guess you can all make your own minds up.
Check out my bands too, I might as well plug them while I'm here! I'm not the best or most outlandish bass player, but I think our songs are pretty good.

www.myspace.com/draglineband <-- that's the heavy/proggy band

www.myspace.com/thestanton <-- that's the more up-for-it rock band

Please let me know what you think! No Harm Done and The River (Arch Stanton) were recorded with their last bass player, but they're still in our set.

I'll have a think about other bands you might find interesting Mr Faithless, but I think I've covered all the bands I'd make a big deal of.

Cheers!

But unfortunatley Sitkh are no longer together as a band so we can't get giddy over the thought of a new album :)

And thanks to Gamble for mentioning AAF because Tye Zamora is heavily underrated between bass players, but if you can manage to see past the joke-like appearance of their videos and the song themes, listen to Tye's playing and tone and then you can hear he is a greatly talented player with a great melodic sense and feel for groove, also he is a great entertainer which I think alot of bass players lack, dare I say he's like The Rock of bassists. And luckily the original line up has just reunited aswell so hopefully theres a new album is in the works.

As far as Martinie goes, Gambles right each album got less and less Technical but Ryan's tone seemingly just got better and better and his playing grew more tasteful IMO and he is one of the main influences alongside Dirk Lance on my style and I'm waiting on the new Mudvayne album as Dullboy was a good taster to see how his playing has changed further more.

[quote name='Josh' post='166295' date='Mar 30 2008, 01:28 PM']*snip* But unfortunatley Sitkh are no longer together as a band so we can't get giddy over the thought of a new album :) *snip*[/quote]

I knew Mikee and Justin left, but I thought the rest of them stayed together...? Perhap the Dood can shed some light.

[quote name='JoeS' post='166527' date='Mar 30 2008, 08:41 PM']I knew Mikee and Justin left, but I thought the rest of them stayed together...? Perhap the Dood can shed some light.[/quote]

Well my friends band, Young Hollywood, recorded for Justin quite recently and really they got all the facts from him there and then and I'm pretty sure Sikth is over, Justin is still working with Dan and Pin as far as I'm aware.

Edited by Josh

Arse :) Bumped into Justin at a Reuben gig last year and he appeared to give the impression that they were still writing together and looking for a new singer. Then again, I was the wrong side of several pints of ridiculously overpriced whatever-they-were-selling so I may have got completely the wrong end of the stick. Shame as they were without doubt one of the best bands I've seen. Nice blokes as well.

Edited by JoeS

I think they gave up the ghost because Sikth is primarily those 6 guys, take one (Or 2 as it was) of them out of that equation and it's not Sikth anymore, and especially when the band is of such a high calibre as well, hence why they were, nay, are still unrivalled today.

As for being nice blokes, oh so very true besides Mikey, any and everybody I know who's met them have said he's always been the one no one can get near to talk to, ah well, where as Justin, when asked just out of curiosity if he could lay down a quick vocal track for a song by my friends band, he was more than happy to oblige:

[url="http://youtube.com/watch?v=l8m4Ip0k6to"]Skip to 9:12...[/url]

Ah well at least their all staying busy musically and a reunion is exactly out of the question.

[quote name='Gamble' post='166277' date='Mar 30 2008, 12:39 PM']Please let me know what you think! No Harm Done and The River (Arch Stanton) were recorded with their last bass player, but they're still in our set.[/quote]

which was me!!!

peace

c

[quote name='bassboy115' post='161932' date='Mar 22 2008, 07:36 PM']a fantastic rock bassist that plays today is Jared Followill from Kings of Leon, he is my biggest inspiration on the bass the way he incorporates licks with punchy root is awsome!...Honestly if you have listened to kings of leon before do it now, listen to Razz off the second album aha shake heartbreak, or joes head from their 1st youth and young manhood, or near enough any track off their new album because of the times.[/quote]

+1 to this, personal favorite being "Kings Of The Rodeo" - perfect simplicity for me, although "On Call" and "Knocked Up" are very, very close seconds.

Let me share one of my secret artists with you - or, I should say, why-is-this-guy-a-secret? artists: [url="http://www.keneally.com/"]Mike Keneally[/url]. Here's a recent video of "Dolphins" with bassist Doug Lunn, but he's also worked with Bryan Beller extensively.

[quote name='bnt' post='169319' date='Apr 3 2008, 06:06 PM']Let me share one of my secret artists with you - or, I should say, why-is-this-guy-a-secret? artists: [url="http://www.keneally.com/"]Mike Keneally[/url]. Here's a recent video of "Dolphins" with bassist Doug Lunn, but he's also worked with Bryan Beller extensively.
[/quote]

MB1. :)
Not unknown to Frank Zappa Fans! :huh:

While we're on the subject of rock/ progressive, anyone like 'Spock's Beard'? I think their bassist Dave Meros is a star act. I love that Rickenbacker (fitted-with-two-Jazz pups-too) tone of his.

I can appreciate jazz, funk, etc. but I think my heart lies in rock, and I'm going through a Coheed and Cambria and Rage Against the Machine stage at the moment.

[quote name='Bullet-Rule' post='172583' date='Apr 8 2008, 08:52 PM']While we're on the subject of rock/ progressive, anyone like 'Spock's Beard'? I think their bassist Dave Meros is a star act. I love that Rickenbacker (fitted-with-two-Jazz pups-too) tone of his.[/quote]
Oh yes. Roll on July :)

In my monthly searches of eMusic I have found all sorts of stuff new (and old) incuding

[url="http://www.emusic.com/album/Lydian-Sea-Architect-of-Humanity-MP3-Download/11158476.html"]Lydian Sea[/url] - a tad DT
[url="http://www.emusic.com/artist/Green-Carnation-MP3-Download/11557650.html"]Green Carnation[/url] - Norwegian, but a lot of proggy stuff seems to emanate from that direction
[url="http://www.emusic.com/artist/Pain-of-Salvation-MP3-Download/11700649.html"]Pain of Salvation[/url]
[url="http://www.emusic.com/artist/Tiles-MP3-Download/11717304.html"]Tiles[/url] - though the albums on eMusic date back to 2004 & earlier
[url="http://www.emusic.com/album/Presto-Ballet-Peace-among-the-ruins-MP3-Download/10967013.html"]Presto Ballet[/url]
[url="http://www.emusic.com/artist/Transatlantic-MP3-Download/10561305.html"]Transatlantic[/url] - being Pete Trewavas (Marillion), Mike Portnoy (DT), Roine Stolt (Flower Kings), Neal Morse (ex Spocks Beard)
[url="http://www.emusic.com/artist/Riverside-MP3-Download/11663295.html"]Riverside[/url] - from Poland
I could go on (and regularly do) but a trawl through the [url="http://www.emusic.com/label/Inside-Out-SPV-MP3-Download/121863.html"]Inside Out / SPV[/url] catalogue turns up loads of good stuff (including Spocks Beard)

Edit: Kino - Picture & Frost* - Milliontown

I'll get me coat

Edited by WalMan

[quote name='Bullet-Rule' post='172583' date='Apr 8 2008, 08:52 PM']While we're on the subject of rock/ progressive, anyone like 'Spock's Beard'? I think their bassist Dave Meros is a star act. I love that Rickenbacker (fitted-with-two-Jazz pups-too) tone of his.

I can appreciate jazz, funk, etc. but I think my heart lies in rock, and I'm going through a Coheed and Cambria and Rage Against the Machine stage at the moment.[/quote]

Love the beard. I met them all last year. I bought Dave Meros a beer at the end of the night. He had just had his new custom job and it was his first night with it. His major beef with his ricky was that E -F on the bottom E isn'tr always that distinguishable. He was nice but very, very boring. The rest of the band were great especially nick.

[quote name='bassboy115' post='161932' date='Mar 22 2008, 08:36 PM']a fantastic rock bassist that plays today is Jared Followill from Kings of Leon, he is my biggest inspiration on the bass the way he incorporates licks with punchy root is awsome!...Honestly if you have listened to kings of leon before do it now, listen to Razz off the second album aha shake heartbreak, or joes head from their 1st youth and young manhood, or near enough any track off their new album because of the times.[/quote]

Jared is a fantastic player, they really lit up the whole evening last year at Leeds Festival and their new album transfers very well to a live environment, definitely go see them if you have the chance!